What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Car starts then starts, then doesn't... - ScottishJohn

Hi everyone

I have been the content driver of my 2010 1.6 Zetec for over a year now, but sadly I have a fault which is difficult to pinpoint and would appreciate advice.

My wife was driving the car for a few miles two days ago, stopped the car then after 5 minutes it wouldn't start, she left it, came back a few hours later and it started right away, drove it home about 5 miles no problem and the next morning, same problem, wouldn't start, called out the breakdown and they said it was the battery, (still original battery),took car to chemix garage and the guy tested the battery under load and said it had plenty of life left in it and said he didn't want to change it as wasting money and said no point changing battery, he said probably a sticking starter, I was convinced until last night, tried the car and it tried to start engine, but could see the panel lights dimming, decided to put the lights on and it got worse and worse, left it, got jumper leads and connected it up, still same thing, took them off and was going to give up, connected them directly to battery this time (previously I had connect the negative to the body earth), It started, left it for a minute, switched it off, put lights on again and it started, took the jumper leads off and tried it again with lights on, started easily!

Don't know what could be the problem, If it was the battery, it wouldn't recover after a minute of charge, or can failing batteries be intermitant? if so, why did the garage say battery was fine, they put a load on it and checked the alternator.

Would appreciate any suggestions, really struggling to think of what it would be.

Edited by ScottishJohn on 14/09/2018 at 10:42

Ford Focus - Car starts then starts, then doesn't... - Ian D
I would change the battery (8 years old is about due) and check the battery terminals including the one that goes from battery negative to the body. Take off, clean up, refit and try again.

If I disconnect the negative that is bolted to the body, will this cause any issues with any settings in the car, e.g radio and door locks?

Ford Focus - Car starts then starts, then doesn't... - hardway

Reading your O/P I'd say you've diagnosed it yourself!

It didn't start with jump leads connected correctly,

i,e neg to body earth but did when hooked up to the battery terminals?

This make me suspect the battery pos terminal/lead.

So start by cleaning both battery post and inside the clamp.

Oh and you can buy battery savers that plug into the ciggy lighter that'll save any codes.

Thanks for that info, will have a go.

Thanks for that, will try it out.