What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - csgmart

My S-i-L wants me to help her find a new car. She currently drives our old Renault Modus and after seeking advice on here and elsewhere the consensus is the ix20 should be ideal. She is going to her local dealer tomorrow for a test drive to be sure it ticks all the boxes (high driving position, good boot space and capable of seating 4).

She only does 5k miles a year so that means petrol. She's also keen on an automatic which means it's the 1.6 engine or nothing.

Because of the warranty I'm advising her to stick to Hyundai dealers only (so as to avoid any issues if she ever has to claim) but they don't have that many on offer across the whole of the UK up to her top spend of £9k. Ideally I'm looking for a 2014 model or newer and less than 30k miles.

I've seen a couple of possible candidates at Arnold Clark on a well known used car website and the adverts state "Franchise" in the description. What does this mean exactly? If I were to buy a car from AC and subsequently have to put in a claim under the warranty am I likely to encounter a problem or is a franchise considered to be similar to a main dealer?

Perhaps SLO might be able to answer?

Edited by csgmart on 02/09/2018 at 21:18

Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - badbusdriver

Remember the Kia Venga is essentially the same car but with an even longer warranty, so look for one of those as well as the ix20.

Remember the Kia Venga is essentially the same car but with an even longer warranty, so look for one of those as well as the ix20.

Yeah - I knew that but according to my S-i-L and my wife the reviews for the Venga aren't as good (rough / choppy ride). Venga isn't ruled out yet.

Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - SteveLee

Yeah - I knew that but according to my S-i-L and my wife the reviews for the Venga aren't as good (rough / choppy ride). Venga isn't ruled out yet.

Well, HJ's review is complimentory about the Venga's ride "The suspension is soft and comfortable which is great in town, but means there is some body roll in bends."

They both use the same floorpan, basic body structure, engine, gearbox, and suspension. Any differences in ride quality are going to be down to wheel and tyre combination, i.e, bigger alloys plus lower profile tyre = poorer ride. Also, i'm not sure where your S-i-l is looking for re reviews, but the owners reviews on the Autotrader website score the Venga 4.5 out of 5 vs 4.0 out of 5 for the ix20. Parkers owners reviews places the ix20 ahead of the Venga, but only just at 4.2 out of 5 vs 4.1.

One last thing, forum member oldroverboy has a Venga, can't remember how long for, but quite a few years, and he seems very happy with it.

Edited by badbusdriver on 02/09/2018 at 22:20

Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - daveyjp
Judging by things I read I don't believe Arnold Clark's reputation has improved over the years. If you are tempted ask the questions, note the answers and get them to put anything you want confirmation of in writing.

With Hyundai and Kia they will expect either full main dealer history and if not evidence that the parts used by a third party meet their specification, there isn't much chance of getting all receipts for parts from a dealer.

Before viewing it may be worth getting in touch with Hyundai/Kia head office so they can check service records of any vehicle and get them to confirm it is still under warranty.

Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - RobJP

'Franchise' in AC's viewpoint seems to mean 'an official franchised dealer for any marque'. So, them selling a Kia from a Vauxhall dealership counts, as far as they are concerned.

However, if that Vauxhall dealership has carried out a service, then Kia will, unless evidence is provided, view it as having not been done to standard, and refuse a claim.

I've heard lots of nightmare stories about AC over the years. Get everything in writing, signed by someone authorised by the company to do so - a salesman will sign virtually anything, knowing they won't be there in a few months.

Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - SLO76
“I've seen a couple of possible candidates at Arnold Clark on a well known used car website and the adverts state "Franchise" in the description. What does this mean exactly? If I were to buy a car from AC and subsequently have to put in a claim under the warranty am I likely to encounter a problem or is a franchise considered to be similar to a main dealer?”

It doesn’t matter who or where you buy it from as long as it has a full Hyundai main dealer service history or in this case AC can do other manufacturer servicing at any branch using in this case Hyundai parts and as they have numerous Hyundai franchises within their network I doubt there would be much of an issue making a claim as they do have access to any manufacturer schedules and technical information, worst case scenario just visit an AC Hyundai dealer to claim but I would favour sticking with your nearest Hyundai dealer for servicing to be certain though. Building up a relationship with them makes any warranty claim or goodwill easier to process.

Not that I’d expect much to go wrong here though as these are very robust little cars which are typically owned by people who don’t cover vast mileage’s or drive hard. A well looked after example should run and run. A bit thirsty for a small car in 1.6 auto form but otherwise good as gold.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/09/2018 at 22:30

Thanks SLO.

What's your opinion on the Venga? A better car or???

Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - daveyK_UK
The main negative regarding the venga is the engines power and fuel economy.

The 1.4 diesel is gutless and needs a good push to get it moving, fuel economy is nothing special.

The 1.4 petrol is thirsty and gutless

The 1.6 petrol auto is very thirsty

The 1.6 diesel is meant to the best engine and has decent power and good fuel economy.

Thank you, again.

Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - oldroverboy.
The main negative regarding the venga is the engines power and fuel economy. The 1.4 diesel is gutless and needs a good push to get it moving, fuel economy is nothing special. The 1.4 petrol is thirsty and gutless The 1.6 petrol auto is very thirsty The 1.6 diesel is meant to the best engine and has decent power and good fuel economy.

AT 5000 miles fuel economy isn't so important. The 1.4 petrol engine is sedate, not gutless. Floor it and it will move in the appropriate gear.. i get 35 ish mpg locally and 40 ish + on a run. It is a tardis inside.

Sadly, mine is a manual, or you could have had it 2015 venga 2 29000 mils full service history. kia care 5 year service package... 2 services left and 3.5 years warranty left till 03/22.

just been offered £6400 from a kia dealer for stock (would retail at £7995 ) or £6400 elsewhere in PX.

WHatever you buy , buy main dealer full service history. my review below.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/kia/venga-2010/...7

For additional bootspace remove the cover, and get a steel wheel for a spare. 15" 195/65/15. same rolling diameter. dealer will probably chuck one in if you ask nicely....

read my various comments about mine. I'm only thinking of changing because....

Edited by oldroverboy. on 03/09/2018 at 07:38

Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - skidpan

'Franchise' in AC's viewpoint seems to mean 'an official franchised dealer for any marque'. So, them selling a Kia from a Vauxhall dealership counts, as far as they are concerned.

However, if that Vauxhall dealership has carried out a service, then Kia will, unless evidence is provided, view it as having not been done to standard, and refuse a claim.

When we bought our Ceed in 2010 we goyt it form the nearest dealer simply because they gave us the best deal. But that did not mean we would get it serviced there if another local dealer (we have 4 in total) was substantially less.

Out closest dealer is Kia only, the others are part of bigger groups selling multiple brands on one site. One of those was the Ford dealer we had used happilly for 11 years (Puma, Mondeo and C-Max) so we gave him a call regardinging servicing. He undercut the selling dealer by £50 a service. But there was a catch. For the reduced price you got a Ford spec service using Ford spec oil. If you wanted a Kia spec service using the correct C3 oil for a DPF equipped diesel it was anoher £50.

So it was simple, we went to the dealer we bought from.

I raised this point on the Kia forum at the time and many owners were horified about what was happening. Kia Customer Services could only say that the warranty would not be affected unless the problem was directly related to the use of the incorrect oil.

Cheap does not always mean its a bargain.

Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - VengaPete

Bit late to this party but I have the Venga Auto (2012 with the 1.6 petrol) and thought I'd offer my experience of having the model you are interested in.

It is mechanically the same as the ix20. The differences essentially are in the interior fittings and price. And I believe the suspension is softer on the ix20 - bit thats quite a subjective thing to define and some folks think the Venga rides softer.

Its generally considered that the ix20 is the lower end level whereas the Venga is the upper end and so gets more toys at the respective model steps (and we found this to be true when we were looking). Think as Lexus is to Toyota.

Specifically for the auto depending what year you get it is either the 4 speed or 6 speed torque converter box(6 speed came in late 2015 / early 2016 just before the facelift). The 4 speed is very old (my investigation reveals it actually dates from around 2006 / 2007 ) and while it does what an auto is supposed to, the gap between 3rd and 4th is quite large and you can often find you need to kickdown to get it to accelerate at a rate you'd be happy with in the 30mph to 45mph range. Interestingly if you "give it some gas" from the traffic light grand prix start you'll surprise many folks in pseudo sporty cars. It isn't especially slower than any other auto MPV if you are prepared to work it fairly hard.

The 6 speed box improves things for mpg and reduces the need to employ kickdown but again you do need to keep it spinning to get brisk acceleration.

And so here's the thing with Vengas / ix20 auto's - they are VERY thirsty on the urban cycle. And I mean VERY. We do mainly town miles and journeys are often less than 2 miles ie: 2 miles to the first shop, half a mile to the second one, a mile to the third one, 2 miles back home. Driving like this you will not see any thing more than 25mpg - and I know this as I record my fills and mileage (ie: I don't just trust the digital do dad thingy )

If you get it out on a run you will see up to 39mpg if you drive sensibly and keep the speed below 65mph. 39mpg allowing for manufacturer optimism with figures is actually about right (Kia reckon 43mpg which I reckon I could acheive if I took out all the "stuff" my wife says we need in the boot and didn't drive above 60mph).

So hopefully that helps if you haven't decided already. The Venga / ix20 aren't bad cars in the auto, despite what the motoring "experts" say. They both have high seating, easy access doors, are Tardis like inside if you move seats around and boot floor around as needed. The mechanicals are well proven chain cam direct injection petrol (if a little dated) but generally reliable. But they do have a high thirst with the auto if you only do town miles.

If you do go for one watch out for the notorious (Kia know about this) rear door seal issue. On the 2010 to 2014 models it turns out the passenger rear door seals have a seal manufacturer fault that allows them to hold water aginst the seal retainer channel. Along with this the paint in these areas is thin and can lead to rust on the channel. Check it by pushing the seal back and looking for the telltale brown staining. If it's started, then you'd need the seller to fix it or walk away. If it goes to far, its a new door as the channel is thin and can't be replaced. And I know this as I've just had one of mine done under warranty. If you go for a model with panoramic roof, watch out for the centre seal between the moving panel and the fixed panel. Due to the glass promoting heat retention, the seal can dry and crack. If it gets to bad, the cracks can open enough to let water in and cause rooflining stains. Due to the design it won't flood or anything like that, but again its a known issue on the panny roof models. On the up side, the panny roof really makes the car feel light and airy (ours has it)

Overall they are very popular with "drivers of a certain age" and folks who need a easy access auto. Be aware the auto's do hold their price extraordinarily well when compared to the manual gearbox variants. ALL of the guides we looked at were at least £500 to low.

And as others have said, buy main dealer full history if you can, it makes warranty claims (if needed) easier. In fact its a little more complicated than that as it depends on what breaks as to what may be accepted. For example, if mine had been outside Kia network but had the door seal issue, because servicing doesn't check the seal or internal door paint it would have been covered regardless of service book entries because it isn't something that is normally checked within the servicing windows and is normally expected to last at least the promised 7 years. But having that full history makes things much easier...

Bit late to this party but I have the Venga Auto (2012 with the 1.6 petrol) and thought I'd offer my experience of having the model you are interested in.

It is mechanically the same as the ix20. The differences essentially are in the interior fittings and price. And I believe the suspension is softer on the ix20 - bit thats quite a subjective thing to define and some folks think the Venga rides softer.

Its generally considered that the ix20 is the lower end level whereas the Venga is the upper end and so gets more toys at the respective model steps (and we found this to be true when we were looking). Think as Lexus is to Toyota.

Specifically for the auto depending what year you get it is either the 4 speed or 6 speed torque converter box(6 speed came in late 2015 / early 2016 just before the facelift). The 4 speed is very old (my investigation reveals it actually dates from around 2006 / 2007 ) and while it does what an auto is supposed to, the gap between 3rd and 4th is quite large and you can often find you need to kickdown to get it to accelerate at a rate you'd be happy with in the 30mph to 45mph range. Interestingly if you "give it some gas" from the traffic light grand prix start you'll surprise many folks in pseudo sporty cars. It isn't especially slower than any other auto MPV if you are prepared to work it fairly hard.

The 6 speed box improves things for mpg and reduces the need to employ kickdown but again you do need to keep it spinning to get brisk acceleration.

And so here's the thing with Vengas / ix20 auto's - they are VERY thirsty on the urban cycle. And I mean VERY. We do mainly town miles and journeys are often less than 2 miles ie: 2 miles to the first shop, half a mile to the second one, a mile to the third one, 2 miles back home. Driving like this you will not see any thing more than 25mpg - and I know this as I record my fills and mileage (ie: I don't just trust the digital do dad thingy )

If you get it out on a run you will see up to 39mpg if you drive sensibly and keep the speed below 65mph. 39mpg allowing for manufacturer optimism with figures is actually about right (Kia reckon 43mpg which I reckon I could acheive if I took out all the "stuff" my wife says we need in the boot and didn't drive above 60mph).

So hopefully that helps if you haven't decided already. The Venga / ix20 aren't bad cars in the auto, despite what the motoring "experts" say. They both have high seating, easy access doors, are Tardis like inside if you move seats around and boot floor around as needed. The mechanicals are well proven chain cam direct injection petrol (if a little dated) but generally reliable. But they do have a high thirst with the auto if you only do town miles.

If you do go for one watch out for the notorious (Kia know about this) rear door seal issue. On the 2010 to 2014 models it turns out the passenger rear door seals have a seal manufacturer fault that allows them to hold water aginst the seal retainer channel. Along with this the paint in these areas is thin and can lead to rust on the channel. Check it by pushing the seal back and looking for the telltale brown staining. If it's started, then you'd need the seller to fix it or walk away. If it goes to far, its a new door as the channel is thin and can't be replaced. And I know this as I've just had one of mine done under warranty. If you go for a model with panoramic roof, watch out for the centre seal between the moving panel and the fixed panel. Due to the glass promoting heat retention, the seal can dry and crack. If it gets to bad, the cracks can open enough to let water in and cause rooflining stains. Due to the design it won't flood or anything like that, but again its a known issue on the panny roof models. On the up side, the panny roof really makes the car feel light and airy (ours has it)

Overall they are very popular with "drivers of a certain age" and folks who need a easy access auto. Be aware the auto's do hold their price extraordinarily well when compared to the manual gearbox variants. ALL of the guides we looked at were at least £500 to low.

And as others have said, buy main dealer full history if you can, it makes warranty claims (if needed) easier. In fact its a little more complicated than that as it depends on what breaks as to what may be accepted. For example, if mine had been outside Kia network but had the door seal issue, because servicing doesn't check the seal or internal door paint it would have been covered regardless of service book entries because it isn't something that is normally checked within the servicing windows and is normally expected to last at least the promised 7 years. But having that full history makes things much easier...

Too late I'm afraid, see the post on ix20 day running lights by the same OP.

Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - VengaPete

No worries. The info may be useful to others in the future.

Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - Avant

I'm sure it will be, and thank you very much for taking the trouble to post it.

Thank you VengaPete.

my S-i-L is thrilled with her ix20. Coming from a 2004 Renault Modus in diesel form the ix20 is quiet and rides like she is driving on air. As she only does 5,000 miles a year mpg isn't a major factor and this is a small price to pay for what is otherwise the perfect car for her.

I would never have considered the ix20 or Venga had it not been for recommendations on this forum so I'm very grateful for everyone who gave me their thoughts / experience.

Used Hyundai ix20 - dealer or franchise? - oldroverboy.

Despite being tempted with a very good PX offer, I'm sticking with my Venga too. I find the stonic/kona smaller inside and even with £4000 off list i can't justify it.

Still 3.5 years warranty and still 2 prepaid services from the Kia care service pack.

Got a good deal on 2 avon zv7's so replacing 2 fronts before winter.

Brake check being done while wheels off.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 09/09/2018 at 14:25