Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - DieselMan1966

At some point around christmas time I will most likley be changing my now elderly Corsa D 1.3 CDTI as this will be heading towards 130k, with the orignal clutch. I currently cover around 18 - 20k per annum usually around town and occasional trips from County Durham to Northumberland both for work and visiting relatives.

I am looking at a number of older SUV, including the second generation RAV4, Kia Sportage and the first generation Hyundai Tuscon, possibly in petrol form as i belive, and I stand to be corrected, they do not have Dual Mass Flywheel fitted or Exhaust Gas Recirculator valves. No prizes for guessing whats failing on my current car.

Does anyone have any experience of running any of these vehicles? I am quite keen on the RAV, what should I be expecting in the terms of repair bills?

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - RobJP

Just bear in mind that the economy on any of those will be terrifying compared to your current car - especially so if you go for petrol.

Tucson petrol = 26mpg

Sportage petrol = 30mpg (in the 2WD version), 26mpg in the AWD version

RAV4 petrol = 31mpg.

Considering your Corsa probably gets well over 50mpg, and quite possibly closer to 60 mpg, the first question is can you afford for your fuel bills to go up by 80% or more ?

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - Quadratica

Just bear in mind that the economy on any of those will be terrifying compared to your current car - especially so if you go for petrol.

Tucson petrol = 26mpg

Sportage petrol = 30mpg (in the 2WD version), 26mpg in the AWD version

RAV4 petrol = 31mpg.

Considering your Corsa probably gets well over 50mpg, and quite possibly closer to 60 mpg, the first question is can you afford for your fuel bills to go up by 80% or more ?

I second this: Fuel bills will come as a shock to you compared to Corsa. RAV4 is very reliable

Tallish cars which have easy access, are cheap to buy and lowish on fuel consider: Nissan Note (2006-2013) or Suzuki SX4 (the latter has SUV looks too!). Good luck !

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - Engineer Andy

Might I suggest, if you are looking for a larger car presumably to carry more people and/or stuff in the boot, that you just look at an estate C-sector (Focus-sized) car, or a larger hatchback/saloon with a large boot, like the Skoda Octavia.

Your mileage is near to the boundary between petrol and diesels (overall ownership cost over its life), so I'd still go petrol especially if you're looking to buy something out of its manufacturer's warranty. The VAG 1.4 TSI (the decent belt-cam 122 or especially the 140/150PS unit, NOT the chain cam and especially not the 'twincharger' 160PS unit which is very unreliable) is especially frugal (45mpg+) and nippy.

If you don't need the extra space, don't go for a bigger car, period. Doing so will just cost you extra money in fuel, depreciation insurance and servicing. At the very least (if you like SUVs) look at the smaller ones. Some big cars can be cheap to buy, but only those that are unfashionable or unloved, and even then they'll cost more to run due to their extra size and/or performance.

Probably worth you telling us why you want to up-size - additions to the family arriving, etc? And of course, budget and any other requirements - performance, handling, comfort, etc etc.

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - DieselMan1966

Thanks for the replies, the main reason for up sizing to a SUV style is access as I'm finding the Corsa a little on the low side when exiting the car. I once owned an 03 place Scenc, for me, this was a near perfect driving position. I have back trouble and find it difficult getting in an out of some types of vehciles, hence the suv. And following last winter I was considering a 4 x 4.

As Andy says, the boundries are chaning in regards to my milage in favour of petrol, so an early Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretec or similar would be worth looking at. Does anyone know if these have a Dual Mass flywheel fitted?

We've had 4 fail on 3 Saab's and a Corsa C, all around 120k, as I will be potentially covering 75k, I will be factoring a replacement clutch into the whole life costs

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - gordonbennet

Couldn't you remove the possibility of DMF failure by finding an auto, preferably a proper torque converter type for their normal trouble free (if serviced once in a while) operation, its the only car gearbox type we've run for years, and i've had autos on and off since the early 70's and never had a gearbox failure yet.

We tend to run cars in this age bracket, though my current Landcruiser is now 13 years old and will hopefully last me many years yet, hoping for another 5 to 7 years before anything major needs looking at.

If you want to avoid Diesels but still have reasonable fuel economy then LPG is an option, though it doesn't suit everyone, we've had SWMBO 2008 Forester XT converted, it hasn't improved the economy but fuel @ 56 ppl makes a big difference.

EGR's are not usually difficult to clean unless you buy something like a VAG model (no doubt there are other makes with similar flawed designs), so subject to checking access to the thing it's not something that would worry me unduly.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/08/2018 at 00:40

If you are only looking at SUVs for their higher driving position and entry point (perhaps with 4x4) but DON'T need the extra space, might I suggest you look at the latest Suzuki Ignis? A small car (like its soon-to-be-here brother the new Jimny [in 2020] - much better than the old one) that may be high up enough for your needs, and, if needed, comes in 4x4 form (don't get an auto as its an automated manual). Mpg is good and is quite nippy for a 1.2 petrol (non-turbo).

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/suzuki/ignis-2017/

Worth a look.

PS. It may be also worth considering getting your next car shod on all season tyres or getting a set of steel wheels (if you have room to store them) and winter tyres (if allowed, go for a smaller rim and higher profile tyres) to complement the summer ones and alloys on the car as standard. Often can be far cheaper than upgrading to a 4x4, although its likely much cheaper on the Suzuki as opposed to some German car.

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - Avant

Yes, a petrol car, and a petrol SUV in particular, will use more fuel than your Corsa, But bear in mind that older diesels have a greater chance of going very expensively wrong , and a major repair can cancel out the savngs on fuel.

A petrol Skoda Yeti or Roomster would be more economical than the SUVs you mention, but give you the higher drfiving position that you're looking for.

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - Andrew-T

Yes, a petrol car, and a petrol SUV in particular, will use more fuel than your Corsa, But bear in mind that older diesels have a greater chance of going very expensively wrong , and a major repair can cancel out the savngs on fuel.

It's always a toss-up gambling the chance of a serious failure against the certainty of better fuel consumption. It's the argument that sells extended warranties, and we all know how we regard those.

In the end any car may fail at almost any time, in much the same way that you might get hit crossing the road. There are plenty of stats claiming to say which cars are a better bet, but basically, the older the car the more important it is to find out its life history. Unless you are extremely unlucky, put the savings into an Emergency Piggy-bank and use it if necessary.

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - SteveLee

If fuel costs are not a concern, try a Lexus RX400h, its CVT box is actually just a set of planetary gears, no belts, bands ar clutches to wear. Cam belt at 90K aside - just put fuel in it - change the oil once a year and it'll soldier on forever. My (now 13 year old) example has been boringly reliable. It was great in the snow (although it should be as it's shod with General Grabber AT3 tyres) sticks like glue in the wet ++, quiet, comfortable and surprisingly fast off the lights. ++ the exception is it can suffer from a touch of torque-steer if you boot it in the wet, though it doesn't get out of hand. I average almost exactly 30mpg (mixed urban driving and I'm lead-footed off the lights) on long runs it returns 35mpg. Not much more to say because it just works! I 've been waiting for something to go wrong as an excuse to buy another Range Rover - but I suspect I'll be waiting a long time. I bet jinxing it doesnt even jinx it!

Done a bit of green laning and it coped fine, also had a bit of local flooding lately and have waded through water far beyond its official wading depth - not a problem, and the door seals were totallty water tight, the exhaust is still the original factory item!

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - TheGentlemanThug

What's your budget exactly?

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - Sulphur Man

@Bicycle_Repair_Man

FYI I purchased an '08 Renault Koleos 2.0dCi Privilege last September, with the intention of running it until it costs too much. My mileage is 15-17k a year.

I've got an open thread on this forum to provide feedback on the experience - link below

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=118933

The thread is overdue an update, due to the fact that the car is proving brilliantly faultless. Just a standard service, an a/c regas to remove the 'scavenging' whistle sound and lots of comfortable miles.

These cars are dark horses, and good value. Yes, the badge is Renault - as is the design. but the development was by Nissan and the assembly is by Samsung in South Korea. My example feels very sturdy. It's also excellent off-road.

Currently getting 41mpg average, running exclusively on Shell V-Power.

Will update my thread in due course - it's 1 year birthday is Sep 16th, so should do it then. .

If it has in the past and now is doing mainly reasonable length trips on faster flowing roads, then as long as it was/is well cared for, then most diesel cars should be fine. The problem is that many were at some point used for repeated short journeys from cold or scrimped on as reagrds servicing them annually, even if the manufacturer 'recommends' longer service intervals.

Doing so just stores up BIG trouble for users and subsequent buyers later in their life, normally at around the 5-7 year mark. Given most are not worth that much anyway by then, a big failure requing four-figure repair bills make them uneconomic to carry out and writes the car off, especially as for some issues like DPF, they can come back very quickly should the car not be used sympathetically as described earlier. The same goes for people who buy older, high spec petrol cars that come with equally complex and thus expensive parts.

Too many people forget to factor in a big bill or two every few years and wonder why they have to scrap it so soon after purchase. A £50k car (when new) costs a LOT more than a £10k (when new) to run, even if the flashy car now costs £10k second-hand. I've seen this sort of thing catch (main younger) colleagues out who buy 6-8 yo German sports hatches/saloons thinking they've got a great bargain for the £7k they spent on buying it. One scrimped on the servicing because he couldn't affor annual services (a diesel BMW), knew it was leaking oil, only to find one morning his engine blew up on starting it and deposited all the engine oil on the drive, ruining that too.

Unless you know 100% of a diesel car's maintenance and usage history, IMHO its a lottery whether you get a decent, reliable, cost effective life out of it. AT least with standard petrol-engined cars you really only need to know its maintenance history and give it the once over when you view/test drive it for driving experience, damage, corrosion or signs of clocking/high wear.

1 year isn't really that long, so you may have been fortunate, but at least you're going about ownership the right way by hedging your bets and using super diesel and having it serviced/maintained regularly and replacing worn parts. Many people don't and just cross their fingers - fine for an old banger costing £500, not so good if someone shells out £5k plus (not necessarily you - just a general comment) for a car that could go pop at any time.

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - Sulphur Man

I did my research. The car was one previous owner, full main dealer history, with all the detailed bills and even the credit card receipts. One big bill at 2012 for £1K, which details particulate filter work. The car came with 84K on the clock, equating to 8K per annum - not ideal but the address and the adresses stored in the nav address book suggested it went regularly between W4 London and Swindon (where I bought it).

Well aware of the pitfalls of used DPF diesels, but was willing to take the plunge on

a) the provenance of this particular car

b) my use case of 15K+ per annum

c) the underappreciated quality of this un-typical Renault model, and its very attractive used prices therein.

d) M9R chain-cam engine Renault-Nissan alliance engine, which seems to have a good reputation - it's been put into the latest Koleos, X-Trail and lots of commercial vehicles

e) a nearby Renault indie garage, with a good reputation. I visited them before buying the car. They've since serviced and inspected it and proclaimed it in very good condition for it's age.

I had no intention of purchasing any used VAG diesel, even at lower 'dieselgate' used prices, due to the poor reputation.

If something does go expensively wrong sooner rather than later, I'll consider myself more unlucky than foolhardy. Will keep my thread updated, as this website loves customer data!

For those with £3-£5K to spend, it's hard to ignore a used market awash with diesels. Yes, it's a minefield, made more minefieldy by the change in MOT law around DPFs and emissions. However, for those with large expected annual mileage, the time to research, and the understanding that a good used buy should be maintained with the right fuel and good care (once saves a fortune in depreciation so this is not unreasonable) there is still some good cars out there.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 28/08/2018 at 19:14

The problem with only seeing service receipts and MOTs etc is that unless you absolutely trust and/or know the former owner(s), you can't always tell what type of mileage they did - only the total. I know people with diesels who do 10k+ a year but its 95% urban driving of 30mph and below, so no passive regens, which may mean when they come to sell the car, its on borrowed time and they got lucky.

That being said, some diesel-powered cars are more susceptible to the DPF clogging up and, as we've seen with tales about some Land Rovers, the design of the system, including its proximity to the engine can make a huge difference - HJ himself said that the Honda diesel seems to be less susceptible than most. Perhaps yours is as well. Unfortunately, unless there's lots of faults, its often as much down to the driving patterns of its owners than anything else, hence why buying an older diesel car is rather a lottery in my view.

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - pd

The servicing in most vehicles is pretty minimal. It is really just oil changes. No one replaces parts unless they actually go wrong.

Truth is most diesels are pretty reliable. There are some shonky makes and designs out there (mainly German) but if it hasn't got 17 lights on the dash, an injector isn't leaking and the DMF isn't rattling when you buy it if you drive it with some mechanical sympathy it will probably do OK.

DPFs are widely overblown in this forum and seem an obsession. Some designs give issues but most are fine regardless of how driven. If they do block, most can be cleaned for under a hundred quid.

There are just as many bad petrols to avoid out there. Basically, if you avoid anything from VAG and probably Mazda as well you night do OK.

The wear on ALL used cars is down to how they are driven - petrols as well and it is down to more whether people can actually change gear and have some mechanical sympathy more than driving patterns. It is amazing how you can take two identical cars, same mileage, same year, same servicing and one drives like a bag of old bolts and one drives like new. This is one reason I hate one owner cars - at least with 2 or 3 owners ones you have a change one might have been able to drive!

The wear on ALL used cars is down to how they are driven - petrols as well and it is down to more whether people can actually change gear and have some mechanical sympathy more than driving patterns.

A lot of sense in what you say, pd. I think my present 207SW diesel has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned - for almost ten years now, since buying it as an 8-month-old ex-lease. In that time it has consumed two sets of tyres and one of discs and pads, along with regular servicing, oil and filter every 7-8K. It always starts, still with the original battery (and exhaust).

I'm not claiming that it is all due to wonderful mechanical sympathy, but that must help. My previous car (306 HDi) was similarly reliable. A buyer's difficulty is in assessing the mechanical sympathy of a previous owner, especially if buying from a trader.

The problem is that Mazda's 1.5 (formerly 1.6) diesel is a bought in PSA-Ford derived engine used in those makes and Volvos. Not sure who designed their 2.2TD though, but like with many diesel engines, much of the problems crop up when people drive them mainly from short urban trips from cold.

The forced regen at a dealership may 'only' cost £100 or so, but if the car is used unsympathetically (as many diesels are), then they might be going in for this 'treatment' every few months - cancelling out the better fuel economy over a petrol engine, and likely raising the occurence of a terminal failure of the DPF (often costing £0000s to replace) far more.

As problems with DPFs are cumulative, all this means is most people 'get lucky' and pass on more serious and/or frequent problems to the next owner when they dispose of the car at 3-7 years old. Non DPF cars, even those driven on short trips in urban areas, lasted a LONG time (engine wise), whereas today's crop (from the mast 10-15 years) certainly won't without a serious injection of cash either regularly or in one go over their lifetime.

I regularly used to see cars like the one I learned to drive in, a Pug 205 1.9D well over 10 years after they went out of production. How many equivalent cars with DPF-equipped engies do you see on our roads of a similar age - not many - those that are left are almost all petrol engined ones. Yes, that might be partly due to Pugs (and some others) of that era 10 years ago not being particularly sound in other aspects, but I think the DPF issue is an under-reported one, as many people running 'old bangers' cannot afford £100 bills(most probably would spend that on general servicing pa) every few months (if at all) and so just scrap the car when the DPF gets clogged.

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - madf

The trouble with older diesels is the drivers. One misfuel and they may sell it.

Buying an elederly diesel can mean buying a misfuelled car being sold to avoid expensive bills in teh future. No way to know.

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - pd

To be honest I deal with loads of 10ish year old diesels and I can't recall one ever being killed by a DPF failure.

DPF cleans (not regens) can usually bring them back to life but even new ones are not always that expensive. A DPF+Cat can be £200 for a mid-range car but so can a couple of tyres and some brakes.

Old diesels are usually killed by much the same things as old petrols. Usually a MOT failure not worth fixing.

I've got a 2006 Focus 1.6 diesel outside taken in px. I'm waiting for the scrap man to pick it up. Done 180k on the "diesel of doom" (which is often a good engine). Engine is perfect, gearbox is perfect, clutch is perfect, DPF is perfect. Drives really nicely. It needs two tyres, rear bushes, a spring, front bush for another MOT and is simply not worth bothering with.

Modern diesels can certainly have issues and are certainly more issue prone than a very simple naturally aspirated petrol but they are not *that* bad and more often than not the issues are caused by thick garages (including many main dealers) not being able to diagnose faults and throwing expensive parts at them.

To be honest I deal with loads of 10ish year old diesels and I can't recall one ever being killed by a DPF failure.

DPF cleans (not regens) can usually bring them back to life but even new ones are not always that expensive. A DPF+Cat can be £200 for a mid-range car but so can a couple of tyres and some brakes.

Old diesels are usually killed by much the same things as old petrols. Usually a MOT failure not worth fixing.

I've got a 2006 Focus 1.6 diesel outside taken in px. I'm waiting for the scrap man to pick it up. Done 180k on the "diesel of doom" (which is often a good engine). Engine is perfect, gearbox is perfect, clutch is perfect, DPF is perfect. Drives really nicely. It needs two tyres, rear bushes, a spring, front bush for another MOT and is simply not worth bothering with.

Modern diesels can certainly have issues and are certainly more issue prone than a very simple naturally aspirated petrol but they are not *that* bad and more often than not the issues are caused by thick garages (including many main dealers) not being able to diagnose faults and throwing expensive parts at them.

Shame about that Focus - I bet if that car was on the continent or North America (as well as in less developed nations) it would've been kept on the road because of cheaper maintenance costs and, IMHO, more knowledgeable/skilled staff, whether at main dealers or indies.

I agree that over here, all too often the default response, especially from main dealerships, is for 'plug the OBD tester in to check for fault codes' and 'that needs replacing' rather than proper diagnosis and decent quality, cheaper repair jobs rather than wholesale replacements, who are money spinners. No wonder most cars get scrapped in the UK far ealier than abroad.

Even the (often reasonably valid) argument that modern, complex cars are uneconomic to maintain because indie garages cannot afford to pay for all the extra training and specialist tools is blown out of the water when other so-called 'rich' western nations seem to get along perfectly well maintaining these cars to a decent standard for 20 years or several hundred thousand miles.

Its noticeable that most of the helpful YouTube videos for maintenance tips come from mechanics (indie and main dealer ones) and knowledgable DIYers in the US, Canada and mainland Europe, very few from the UK. Its almost as though most UK 'mechanics' are little more than glorified basic technicians working by a tighly defined script just doing servicing and basic repairs, a bit like our useless call centre staff who always have to rely on 'supervisors' because they have no clue when the computer doesn't give them a decent answer.

The trouble with older diesels is the drivers. One misfuel and they may sell it.

Buying an elederly diesel can mean buying a misfuelled car being sold to avoid expensive bills in teh future. No way to know.

I don't think that is a serious worry compared to almost anything else you like to imagine having happened to an 'old' car. You can always buy a pig in a poke, that's why they keep getting cheaper until the price bottoms out. If nervous buyers worry about everything and anything that MAY have happened, they will never buy. You have to take the plunge with some confidence, which means finding out all you can.

Too often the old mantra of 'costs more to fix than it's worth' is applied without thought. The Focus mentioned by 'pd' above could be fixed for an MoT fairly cheaply, and would provide a decent car for a new driver. Too much throwaway society IMHO.

Edited by Andrew-T on 29/08/2018 at 16:00

Plus think of all those perfectly servicable (and probably MOTed and running) older cars that were scrapped when the government's 'scrappage scheme' was running a few years ago. What a waste just to kick start new car sales. Nothing environmentally friendly about that either.

Running older vehicles, 8 - 12 years old - gordonbennet

Plus think of all those perfectly servicable (and probably MOTed and running) older cars that were scrapped when the government's 'scrappage scheme' was running a few years ago. What a waste just to kick start new car sales. Nothing environmentally friendly about that either.

I was still driving car transporters during that farce, the company i worked for had large numbers to shift, some of the cars i picked up it was criminal they were being scrapped, one and low owner lowish mileage cars in really good running order.

A well thought out system would have had an exchange process, so some rotting rubbish could be sensibly disposed of and the better ones kept running, but since when did common sense and our leaders have anything to do with one another.