What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - st rep - luke duncan

should i st rep my focus or not

Ford Focus - st rep - SLO76
If it’s a valuable newer car then no, you’ll kill it resale value and probably ruin the handling and ride if you add lowered springs and fat wheels etc. If it’s an old cheapo and you want to do it then go ahead, it’s already worth next to nothing then there’s no value to kill. But remember you must inform your insurance company about every modification or your policy will be void. The police regularly check when they pull drivers in modified cars whether their insurance firm has been correctly informed. You may we’ll have a change of mind after getting a quote for a modified Focus. Personally I’d save the money for a better car to start with.
Ford Focus - st rep - luke duncan

will have a think about it mate cheers

Ford Focus - st rep - Ethan Edwards

Spend twenty thousand on mods...you could have bought the real thing for that. MY 2p. Personally I prefer seeing it the other way round. Looks like a basic model but has the RS motor and transmission .

Ford Focus - st rep - badbusdriver

Must be getting old,

"should i st rep my focus or not?"

Eh?, what are you asking?!

Thanks Ethan, it was not until i read your post that things fell into place and i actually realised what the OP was on about!.

For the record, i totally agree with SLO. Assuming you were being responsible (not to mention legal) and informing your insurance, i'd imagine it would get real expensive real quick!.

Ford Focus - st rep - Engineer Andy

Oh those young'uns and their txtspk!

LOL.

We do it the old school way:

youtu.be/h-mX9T2qyIQ

Oh those young'uns and their txtspk!

LOL.

We do it the old school way:

youtu.be/h-mX9T2qyIQ

Now that's more like it!,

brilliant, can't beat them!

Ford Focus - st rep - FP

I still want to know what "st rep" actually means. If I Google it I get a lot of stuff about sore throats.

Ford Focus - st rep - KB.

I'm still none the wiser. Althought the brevity of the question accompanied by an absence of any sort of grammar as I learned at school ... or a please or thank you didn't endear me to the topic.

I resorted to Googling 'st rep' and it came back with articles about Streptococcal pharyngitis.

So I think I'll simply move on to something I have more of a chance of understanding.

Ford Focus - st rep - KB.

Ah... looks like FP and I are similarly minded - and we both posted at exactly the same time too.

Next week: we'll be going on about how expensive cars are today compared when we were young, when they cost £6k to buy and petrol cost only 66p a litre. I had a computer back then with a Pentium 100 chip in it. Woooo!

Life was sweet back then. Modding you car was limited to adding go faster stripes, plastic wheel hubs or a fake GTi badge onto a Golf Match for most of us. Now they buy a half decent Focus for £6k and spend £20k on it making it like a £28k ST only without all the performance and handling.

I'm getting too old (44) for this ****!

Ford Focus - st rep - Avant

But ST REP may be no more than that, Andy. Dolled up to look like an ST but actually still a REPmobile under the skin.

That's as good a guess as any as to what it means, as the OP hasn't seen fit to enlighten us.

I'm surprised SLO hasn't come back on it either, as he clearly understood exactly what the OP meant. ST is the performance version of the Focus, the OP has a 'standard' version but wants to make it a replica (rep) of the ST. Big wheels, body kit, lowered suspension etc.

Ford Focus - st rep - Avant

I was joking but actually I wasn't so far out! Ford are doing it themselves with the 'ST-Line' version, as are VW with 'R-Line'.

'Line' is the new pseudo.

Ford Focus - st rep - SLO76
“I'm surprised SLO hasn't come back on it either, as he clearly understood exactly what the OP meant.“

Still in with the young team.
Ford Focus - st rep - Leif

At last, I know what was meant.

Bit like a souped up Vauxhall Nova then, something for the boy racer. They always look very silly to my eye.

Ford Focus - st rep - Tester

66p a litre?!! When I were a lad and passed my test (early '78) it was just under 50p per GALLON for 4-star ... happy days indeed. And my Dad's car that I learnt in, a Datsun 1600, cost him £1044 new in '71 IIRC. But if you tell that to youngsters today, they won't believe you (despite it being true).

Couldn't you buy a DB5 for about £5k when it first came out? A former colleague spent somewhere in the region of £200k buying and restoring it about a decade ago. Apparently now worth £500k+

Back in the olden days my dad (as a kid) got an orange for Christmas and was thankful...

I'd love to know how our OP will be able to afford 'modding' with Focus (all to 'impress his mates') and to save for more important things (presumably) he will be needing in future years. If I were him and wanted some realtively cheap wheels that looked and went well, I'd buy an early 2000s Civic Type R - an un-modded and well cared for example.

Ford Focus - st rep - FP

"When I were a lad and passed my test (early '78) it was just under 50p per GALLON for 4-star..."

Move over, stripling - when I started driving (1968) petrol was 4s/11d. For those who don't know, that's a shade under five shillings. In decimal currency - not quite 25p.

Mind you, my first paid job at that time brought me the princely sum of £7/10/0 a week.

Ford Focus - st rep - mcb100
st rep: verb, to create a replica of a Focus ST.

Edited by mcb100 on 24/08/2018 at 11:08

IC

Ford Focus - st rep - catsdad
The OP asked his question with a brevity some contributors could learn from. He also responded to SLO's advice which new posters often don't bother to do.

Lets face it, those of us who couldn't understand the query were not in a position to offer much constructive advice anyway.

Good luck to him whatever he decides.
Ford Focus - st rep - barney100

Some young blokes around here have made a good job of 'go faster ' cars. I have a sneaking admiration for their imagination and skill. In my day if you had a little motorbike with spotlights...wow!

Ford Focus - st rep - gordonbennet

I'm firmly in the sleeper mindset when it comes to desirable fast cars, quick and competent but look completely the opposite, proper engine in standard looking body.

No badges making claims (eg ST, E63, M5, R), no silly multiple exhausts (now fitted by makers to the most mundane vehicles because image does sell for a high price), no aggessive stance, no multi coloured brake calipers, or worse still brake caliper covers, with Brembo or summat stamped on, no 30 aspect or similar elastic band tyres wrapped around garish wheels, in other words nothing that stands out.

Each to their own though, the youngsters want to fit in with their mates as a sort of recognisable club so tend to have similar sporty looking cars of a few noted models, but they're probably of an age and income group where the model with the full size engine would be ininsurable, if it works for them why not.

Ford Focus - st rep - symonh

The problem with creating a replica is that by the time you have finished it can easily cost as much as the real thing, and because you are now driving a modified car the insurance will be hefty as well. When you come to sell most people would also prefer a cooking focus to be standard instead of modified. It is your car and money though... If it is an older Focus such as Mk2/2.5 I would be more concerned about rustproofing it, ours is falling apart at the seams- Literally.