Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Is this oil leak a problem? - Bryony Cann

Hello All,

We're looking to purchase a Mercedes Sprinter and have seen one which we're interested in. After a thorough inspection yesterday we've picked up on a few issues - back door catch broken off, side door doesn't lock, radio screen isn't working and what looks like some leaking oil underneath (I don't think I can attach pictures in this forum?). The dealer has good reviews and has said they'll fix all the issues. We asked the dealer about the previous owner and it was Enterprise Rent-A-Car. What do you guys reckon, would you buy it?

Many thanks,

Bryony

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Is this oil leak a problem? - Andrew-T

I've no experience of these vehicles, but I would have guessed that almost any used one would have been a 'commercial' vehicle of some sort. If the seller is reputable that may be your safest option as he should fix anything (within reason) during the warranty period.

Oil leak - many vehicles have those. You don't tell us the age or mileage of yours, which would be helpful.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your advice. The van is 2015 and milage is 81k, which is why the oil leak was a concern, we weren't sure if it was usual for a van of that ago or a sign of wear from the hiring out.

Thanks,

Bryony

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Is this oil leak a problem? - bathtub tom

I'd tell the seller that I'd go back and look at it again after they've fixed all the faults and to give me a bell.

They won't and I'd buy one somewhere else.

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Is this oil leak a problem? - SLO76
Used vans are a minefield. Firms only tend to offload when they become a liability and unlike cars they’re not traded in when someone just fancies a change. Some ex lease (depends who’s had it) or ex NHS and BT stock are a good bet as they’re disposed off at a set age rather than when they’re done. These tend to be well maintained particularly the larger utility firms and the NHS.

Look for proof of regular maintenance, if there’s none then walk away and look elsewhere. Although leased vans should be maintained some firms, particularly smaller a organisations often cut costs here. Neglect will kill a complex engine like this especially at the age and mileage you’re looking at.

I bought an ex NHS VW Caddy years ago and it was a great wee van. The dealer had loads of other stock from the same source all with history and in good order. Well worth paying a bit extra for. I’d sooner pay a couple of grand more for a good low mileage approved used van from a main dealer than one that’s been auction bought by some small used van outfit. It’ll more than return this extra investment.

Ex BT stock is also well looked after. I’ve bpught and sold a fair number over the years and they were great vans again disposed of at a set age rather than waiting til they’re knackered.

As already said above I’d only buy if that oil leak is fixed and you can verify this. These can sometimes be a nightmare to locate and rectify and it could be a major job. Used dealers are almost all utterly untrustworthy so don’t give them the benefit of the doubt especially the smaller used outlets that stamp in big letters their “limited” status.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/08/2018 at 11:53

Thanks for your thoughts. Gut instinct says an ex-hire with a few issues might not be a good bet for the future, especially as we've stretched our budget to get as new/low milage van as we can afford so it'll last us many years to come.

Gut instinct says an ex-hire with a few issues might not be a good bet for the future, especially as we've stretched our budget to get as new/low milage van as we can afford so it'll last us many years to come.

Your info suggests to me that the rental firm has moved the van on at a 3-year/80K mile point, on the assumption that maintenance will start to cost. You must choose whether to take that risk.

SLO76 will tell you that good vans get snapped up, probably at the higher prices. If yours looks perhaps too cheap to be true, it may well be. Or you may be lucky ....

Used vans are a minefield. Firms only tend to offload when they become a liability and unlike cars they’re not traded in when someone just fancies a change.

SLO - you must allow the possibility that whoever owned the vehicle ceased trading. Many years ago I bought a Cavalier estate that had been a rep's car with a company in south Wales. It was 9 months old (IIRC) with 23K and was very affordable. It did the family very nicely for about 4 years.

Not a van, admittedly, and I guess most of those go through normal 'trade' channels.

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Is this oil leak a problem? - BMW Enthusiast

I would never buy a vehicle previously owned by a rental company. Being a diesel van the turbo most likely hasn't been looked after properly by allowing it to cool down before switching the engine off.