What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 2006, 1.25L, Petrol - Underside panel fell off - ah207

Bit hard for me to describe this without using a photo - but I'll try:

A straight piece of plastic trim that runs along the width of the car, curved inwards at both ends came loose and fell off. It was directly under the front body panel bumber, with the curved ends connecting the bottom front of one wheel arch to the other. You can see these pieces on other cars - they're the bits that get scraped when you go over a speed hump!

Anyway, one end of it was fixed with a special screw and clip mechanism - but the other end, where it became detached, someone had just used a cable tie and looped it through the holes - presumably after the original screw and clip had been lost by going over a speed hump!

My question is - is this part crictical and should it be fixed back on immediately? Or can I wait until the next service is due (in a few months time) ? Come to think of it, is this something I can attempt to re-attached myself?

Edited by ah207 on 06/08/2018 at 10:12

Ford Fiesta 2006, 1.25L, Petrol - Underside panel fell off - gordonbennet

I make lots of use of cable ties, if you still have the trim piece offer it up and see if some suitable holes and half a dozen cable ties would do the job.

Often enough cable ties are more secure than the original fittings which can take no punishment where cable ties are suprisingly rugged, such parts as this under valance are deliberately designed to break away easily if caught so don't cable tie it too well :-)

if secured too well and you caught a kerb for example you could rip the whole bumper off when reversing...anecdote time, Alfa Mito is favourite for this, dead easy to rip the entire bumper off going backwards, seen it done (by others thankfully) several times when reversing off car transporters.

Ebay is your friend, you can buy hundreds of the things really cheaply, i have various sizes and lengths, useful for many jobs about the home cars and garden.

The part probably isn't desperately important, if you lie at the front and wiggle the bumper and trims still there it should be obvious if the trim piece is helping support the others.

Ford Fiesta 2006, 1.25L, Petrol - Underside panel fell off - ah207

Thank you! Much obliged for your input. None of the holes is damages and the strip itself has a few scratches along its bottom edge, but other than that, its looks fine. I have a selection of cable ties and different sized screws/nuts too - so when I get home this evening, I'll try to get the panel to slot back into place.

Cheers.

Ford Fiesta 2006, 1.25L, Petrol - Underside panel fell off - Andrew-T

My question is - is this part critical and should it be fixed back on immediately? Or can I wait until the next service is due (in a few months time) ?

I believe the part you describe is known as the sump guard. That is one of its functions - another is to smooth air flow under the vehicle and reduce drag. So I would not describe it as 'critical' but it does have a purpose. It also gets in the way if you want to drain your oil properly rather than using suction.

Ford Fiesta 2006, 1.25L, Petrol - Underside panel fell off - Leif

Something similar was ripped off of my VW Up a few years ago. It served to protect the underside of the engine. It's not critical but it is best in place otherwise a branch of other object could end up striking engine components and causing damage. Don't let the garage do it, they'll charge you for a new one, and you'll pay an arm and a leg, along with a few major organs.

Ford Fiesta 2006, 1.25L, Petrol - Underside panel fell off - gordonbennet

If a full size undercover is wrecked, they're poor efforts at the best of times, i've lost count of how many Golfs i've seen driving down the road with the undercover dragging on the road, you might as well fit something decent instead and probably cheaper than a new moulding of plastic tat.

These are better made than you might think, offer proper protection, and arn't held on by the cheapest plastic clips known to man

www.sump-guard.co.uk/steel-engine-sump-guard

I have the full kit from this company under my Landcruiser stretching from the front bumper right to the cross member behind the gearbox, far better than the surprisingly poor OE thing Toyota saw fit to bolt under the 120 series, which didn't actually protect the small sump (double sumped) or the drain plug or the gearbox at all, arrived in one week from Romania direct...note these sump guards normally have a separate section held on by two bolts under the sump drain plug, so not necessary to remove for normal servicing.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/08/2018 at 14:03

Ford Fiesta 2006, 1.25L, Petrol - Underside panel fell off - Leif

they're poor efforts at the best of times,

The one on my VW Up was thin plastic, but VW charged IIRC £150 for the replacements + fitting!