What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - Dingle232

What are people's thoughts on buying from a car supermarket vs main dealers? I am looking at 2 identical vehicles with a price difference of around £800 (in favour of the supermarket) but am unsure what to do.

The main dealer supplies a 12-month warranty and their vehicle has been a one owner privately owned car with full main dealer service history.

The car supermarket is 1 owner but has been a lease company vehicle which they claim has had 2 main dealer services and the third as having been done by them. I am sceptical whether car supermarkets actually do anything of the sort but I could be wrong.

I am not keen to spend £800 more than I have to but I must admit to being rather suspicious of dealers in general and in particular the volume based supermarkets. That said I am sure some of them may be very good.

Any advice as to whether to steer clear of the supermarket or grab a bargain?

The cars are both Honda CRVs.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - gordonbennet

Approved used warranty from Honda?, bombproof, sons 13 plate CRV aircon compressor died, circa £1500 job apparently, approved used warranty kicked in and no fuss.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - concrete

I go with GB on this one. A FSH from a dealer, then purchased from a dealer with another full waranty is great peace of mind. If you are keeping the car for say 4 years then it is £200 per annum or a pint of beer per week. If you want to keep dealer/Honda goodwill a dealer service record really helps. You may even get a service deal for the next few services or you can shop around to compare dealer prices. On such a nice car a dealer would be my option if you can haggle a bit too, all the better. I never harms to ask for a discount or other goodies. BTW, use your aircon all year round, it works for heating and cooling. That way the compressor seals stay lubricated and in good working order.

Cheers Concrete

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - daveyK_UK
How old is the car your buying?
Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - catsdad

I am not sure about other makes but with Honda I'd recommend main dealer.

My Civic was bought used from a main dealer.They offer an attractive service price deal. I think the CRV price is similar or maybe a little more. I got 4 years transferable full service for £580. And this included brake fluid, valve adjustment, annual oil etc. Just make sure they switch off variable servicing (unless you want it of course). They include free roadside breakdown recovery and onward travel.

My dealer also offers free MOTs as long as its serviced by them. Then, when it reached 6 years old and the service agreement had expired, they had a £99 service offer.

So for £680 I've had five main dealer services, two MOTs and five years breakdown cover. Great value that a Supermarket can't match and helps compensate for the higher dealer car price.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - Andrew-T

Agree with all the above. I know nothing about Hondas, but there is usually more haggle room with a dealer than a supermarket, so the actual difference may be less than £800. May also depend on whether you are part-exing.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - TheGentlemanThug

Another vote for the main dealer from me.

In my experience, private cars have always been cared for better than lease ones.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - Manatee

Have you actually looked closely at the cars? Which one do you like better? As a dedicated tightwad I'm always attracted by a lower price, but long experience has persuaded me that I should choose on merit and just do the best deal I can on it.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - barney100

Main dealer seems the best bet, tempting to save £800 but might be false economy. Try for some goodies from the main dealer or a few £s off.

The general advice mirrors my gut feeling really in that the warranty and potential add-ins actually represent a better deal than the immediate saving of £800.

Both cars are late 2015 models.

I am still haggling with the dealership over trade in but I don't think we are far away. That being the case I think I am likely to go with that option. Just feels like a bigger security blanket.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - bathtub tom

I took a print of an identical car to a main dealer and told them I was quite inclined to drive fifty miles to save a couple grand, they didn't budge.

Don't get it do they? Had numerous 'phone calls over the next few weeks, asking if I'd made my mind up!

I am still haggling with the dealership over trade in but I don't think we are far away. That being the case I think I am likely to go with that option. Just feels like a bigger security blanket.

As you are trading-in, that limits your haggle room, but it means you have to compare cost to change, not the screen prices. Does the supermarket offer less than the main dealer?

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - Avant

Did you have any joy with the 30-day exchange plan, that you mentioned in your other thread, offered by the dealer who sold you the Skoda?

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - Falkirk Bairn

Trade-in?

Look at sites & see what they offer WBAC & others.

If they offer more that's where to go.

Then, with no trade-in @ the dealer you are in a stronger position to chip away at teh £800 difference.

Did you have any joy with the 30-day exchange plan, that you mentioned in your other thread, offered by the dealer who sold you the Skoda?

None at all Avant which is actually disappointing and, I could suggest, misleading. Turns out they will only even have a discussion if the car has a 'major fault' and even then they pressure you to rectify and not exchange.

Further reinforces my view that there isn't a single reputable, honourable, dealer out there.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - 72 dudes

I took a print of an identical car to a main dealer and told them I was quite inclined to drive fifty miles to save a couple grand, they didn't budge.

Agreed, I tried this years ago when looking at two Peugeot 407s. Same year/model/trim/mileage and £1200 apart, both at main dealers.

The sales guy even took the print out to his boss (allegedly) but no joy. A lot depends how much profit they have in a particular car.

Luckily I bought my Volvo S40 elsewhere instead.

Back on topic, main dealer every time.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - Leif

None at all Avant which is actually disappointing and, I could suggest, misleading. Turns out they will only even have a discussion if the car has a 'major fault' and even then they pressure you to rectify and not exchange.

Further reinforces my view that there isn't a single reputable, honourable, dealer out there.

There are. The Rover dealer in Brixham, Devon, who bought my late mum's Rover 200 was honest. She was paraplegic, with poor eyesight, he could have fleeced her but gave a very fair price, enough to make an honest profit after expenses. Sadly there are more than a few rogues out there. I have a suspicion it's a bit of a cut throat business.

<< Further reinforces my view that there isn't a single reputable, honourable, dealer out there. >>

Yes there are a few - not so much for sales, but HJ's list of Good Garages must be worth something.

I would name two in Cheshire: Motorite just east of Northwich (I have bought from them twice with satisfaction) who are happy to affiliate with Trading Standards; and the Pug dealer in Macclesfield, which most surprisingly has been the same family business since it started life in 1911. I got my current car there which has yet to let me down - not much to do with them of course, either I was just lucky, or they pick their stock carefully. But more recently they have happily ordered small parts for my other Pug and posted them on at no charge.

They aren't all bad.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - Engineer Andy

<< Further reinforces my view that there isn't a single reputable, honourable, dealer out there. >>

Yes there are a few - not so much for sales, but HJ's list of Good Garages must be worth something.

I would name two in Cheshire: Motorite just east of Northwich (I have bought from them twice with satisfaction) who are happy to affiliate with Trading Standards; and the Pug dealer in Macclesfield, which most surprisingly has been the same family business since it started life in 1911. I got my current car there which has yet to let me down - not much to do with them of course, either I was just lucky, or they pick their stock carefully. But more recently they have happily ordered small parts for my other Pug and posted them on at no charge.

They aren't all bad.

I think it often depends on the leadership, especially as regards the service dept. A decent manager can retire and a new one can replace them who turns a blind eye to sharp practices or worse encourages it.

Well, main dealer it is and I have arranged to collect the vehicle from them on Friday. They weren't too hot on adding in extras but I have got them to agree to a tank of fuel plus replacing a couple of bits of trim that have become discoloured. I also managed to haggle the best trade-in deal I could get anywhere.

I got lucky in that the car has a service plan that comes with it so the next 2 years servicing are entirely cost-free plus there's the 1-year warranty I would not have got from the supermarket.

I am praying everything with the car is ok.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - TheGentlemanThug
Good call. Honda are arguably the most reliable manufacturer out there, so you're unlikely to have any issues.
Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - gordonbennet

Tank of fuel and 2 years servicing (i assume Honda sensibly stick to 12 months or mileage so 2 proper services) and you aint far off that £800 difference, plus that rock solid warranty, you did done the right thing.

If you have a good indy you trust, it might be worth getting the brakes cleaned and lubed correctly, pistons sliders and handbrake mechanism, this may not have been done on normal servicing unless the previous owner requested it, and last winter an extraordinary amount of salt was used which won't have done any good.

Good choice you've made IMHO, my son and family really rate their 13 plate CRV, probably same shape as yours.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - Bolt

I doubt you will go wrong with a Honda, service details are here

www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/fixed-price-service-pl...l

if you already know ignore... enjoy

Thanks - I hope not.

I am due to collect it on Friday which entails another mammoth drive either way but it will be worth it of the car is as described.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - corax

I am due to collect it on Friday which entails another mammoth drive either way but it will be worth it of the car is as described.

At least that will give you the opportunity to test comfort levels - here's hoping that it's better for your back, although Honda's are usually pretty good in that respect.

Give the air conditioning a good work out. They've suffered from more than their fair share of problems in the past regarding failing air compressors (expensive repair), and it would be nice to have that sorted under warranty if needed.

Give the air conditioning a good work out.

just leave it on all the time, I always leave it on all cars with aircon, no point in turning it off, keeps the windows from misting up in winter as well, and, you can use it on full heat which some people think you only need it in summer

just leave it on all the time, I always leave it on all cars with aircon, no point in turning it off, keeps the windows from misting up in winter as well, and, you can use it on full heat which some people think you only need it in summer

Does a modern air-con use negligible fuel - I know the early ones weren't very efficient?

Reminds me a bit of US president Lyndon B Johnson, who liked to always have a log-fire burning at his ranch. In summer he kept the air-con on too.

Does a modern air-con use negligible fuel - I know the early ones weren't very efficient?

Reminds me a bit of US president Lyndon B Johnson, who liked to always have a log-fire burning at his ranch. In summer he kept the air-con on too.

No difference to economy that I have noticed and I leave it on in winter with heater set to high if its frosty, and I do not use fresh its always on recirculate, never had a problem or misty windows, which the older Civics and Rovers suffered from

I rarely use mine. It reduces mpg by a non negligible amount. Without recirculate on it sucks up fumes from the cars in front, and if I turn on recirculate it dries the air out and I get sore eyes. But each to their own. Some people feel much better with cool air so why not.
I rarely use mine. It reduces mpg by a non negligible amount. Without recirculate on it sucks up fumes from the cars in front, and if I turn on recirculate it dries the air out and I get sore eyes. But each to their own. Some people feel much better with cool air so why not.

No difference to economy that I have noticed and I leave it on in winter with heater set to high if its frosty, and I do not use fresh its always on recirculate, never had a problem or misty windows, which the older Civics and Rovers suffered from

I have never got on with cold air in winter or summer , I also cannot get on with freezing air so its never set that low unless its as hot as its been last few months, min I usually set it is 18 unless its really hot then it goes to low (freezing) to me- but thats temporary

This is a real world test:

www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/31861/mpg-mythbuste...s

And in summary "- Air-conditioning makes a big difference when driving at low speeds, but has very little impact on the motorway."

Air-conditioning makes a big difference when driving at low speeds,

I cant say im all that bothered considering the amount of traffic jams I get stuck in, this week has been great for hardly any traffic so maybe not having it on could save some fuel, But as its hot it stays on

If people wish to save cash and fuel its entirely up to them,reminds me of those that go miles out of their way to save 1p a litre on fuel, I needed no reminder of how it uses more fuel but compared to what I lose in usual traffic jams its not worth worrying about imo

Absolutely, use air con if it makes you feel more comfortable. Cars do tend to heat up. I keep mine on for a few minutes if the car has sat in the sun, to cool it down. Yet another luxury in modern cars.
Without recirculate on it sucks up fumes from the cars in front, and if I turn on recirculate it dries the air out and I get sore eyes.

Surely it is not the air-con that 'sucks up fumes from the cars in front', just the air intake system, whether or not your air-con is operating? So your eyes are irritated by cooling and drying outside air - but not recirculated air?

Recirculated air tends to get a bit stale after a few minutes unfortunately.

Without recirculate on it sucks up fumes from the cars in front, and if I turn on recirculate it dries the air out and I get sore eyes.

Surely it is not the air-con that 'sucks up fumes from the cars in front', just the air intake system, whether or not your air-con is operating?

That was my point.

So your eyes are irritated by cooling and drying outside air - but not recirculated air?

Recirculated air tends to get a bit stale after a few minutes unfortunately.

That was my point.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - retgwte

you would be better getting someone like

flippingcars.co.uk/

to buy precisely the car you want from auction, than use a car supermarket.

Collected the CRV today and did a return trip of 450 miles in the process. Was actually a very positive experience with the Honda dealer who had done everything agreed and I was extremely relieved to witness the car as they had described it.

Am very happy, it's a nice car that's clearly been looked after and well maintained and I have that 12-month warranty and 2-year service plan in the bag. I also know the DPF got a good old clear out on the Motorway too.

(I hope my car curse doesn't return with this one and make me regret typing this) :-).

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - Avant

Best of luck with it Dingle. CRVs are good cars, and it's a good sign that you haven't mentioned backache, so I trust that all's well on that score.

Main Dealer vs Car Supermarket? - wilmarub

The biggest benefit of main dealers is support if the car fails. Their warranty will cover most items on a car and they'll repair them purely because they are a main dealers.

Car dealerships in general tend to stay within the guide lines of a standard warranty.

My friend bought a car from main dealers that was £900 more than anther available from a local dealers. The brakes failed two months later and the main dealer fitted new discs, pads and master cylinder with no issues. That almost covered the purchase price differences.

Michelle.