What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda 2 versus Ford Fiesta Eco boost - Which hatchback would you choose and why? - pembsflyer

Which hatchback would you choose and why?

Mazda 2 90 SE-L Nav 5dr Versus Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 100 zetec start + stop

Mazda 2 versus Ford Fiesta Eco boost - Which hatchback would you choose and why? - daveyjp
We had this choice about three months ago and avoided both.

The Yaris was a far better proposition.
Mazda 2 versus Ford Fiesta Eco boost - Which hatchback would you choose and why? - badbusdriver

The Mazda hands down, no contest. Why?, well you really should do some research before narrowing your choice down to two. The ecoboost has a somewhat chequered reliability record and there has been quite a few long running threads on the forum discussing just that. But bottom line is that the Mazda 2 is a brilliant little car, one of the best in it's class. No it won't have the same performance as the turbo Ford, but nor is it slow due to its light weight. Also very reliable.

Mazda 2 versus Ford Fiesta Eco boost - Which hatchback would you choose and why? - pembsflyer

Thanks both. We have a 14 plate FFeco bought before problems started to manifest which our youngest son now has. Now looking for our middle son starting new job and needing to drive a commute and to training centres so will clock up 20k/an.

Mazda 2 versus Ford Fiesta Eco boost - Which hatchback would you choose and why? - badbusdriver

Thanks both. We have a 14 plate FFeco bought before problems started to manifest which our youngest son now has. Now looking for our middle son starting new job and needing to drive a commute and to training centres so will clock up 20k/an.

I'm pretty sure ecoboost problems had already started by 2014, but the fact that you are aware of them makes me curious why you have one on your list of two possible cars?. Anyway the fact that your son will have a long commute means reliability is of primary importance so the case for the Mazda only becomes stronger. The Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz are also both extremely reliable but I can understand if your son would rather the more youthful and trendy looking Mazda!.

No. 2 son has driven FF eco for last 2 years and enjoyed with no problems, there are lots of them so proportionally more likely to have issues, suppose he feels comfortable and familiar. As an advisor I have heard of FF eco problems and trying to encourage a rigorous research. Perfect world I would encourage a Yaris but you learn which ones to give on!

It's his first purchase and I want him to be happy with it!

Fair enough. Given the amount of Ford's out there using that engine, there must be a lot which experience no problems at all. If buying new and getting rid of, before the warranty is up I might be inclined to consider one, but definitely not if buying used and/or intending to keep long term. When looking for a new car last year I was considering a Mazda 2 myself, but in the end, the greater space, practicality and higher seating position of the Honda Jazz won us over. But I guess your son will have different requirements!.

Mazda 2 versus Ford Fiesta Eco boost - Which hatchback would you choose and why? - SLO76
I’d have the Mazda also. It’s a far more robust longterm bet and drives pretty much as nicely as the Fiesta even if it lacks the aural appeal of the Ford’s zingy 3cyl turbo.

I’d rather buy used with this mileage in mind though as putting 60k on any supermini over the next three years will murder its value and here the Mazda makes even more sense with no real reliability vices to worry about if looked after. The current Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris 1.33 are good options too but neither are as enjoyable to pilot as the Mazda. The Suzuki Swift is another worthy too.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/07/2018 at 17:46

Mazda 2 versus Ford Fiesta Eco boost - Which hatchback would you choose and why? - skidpan

Which hatchback would you choose and why?

Mazda 2 90 SE-L Nav 5dr Versus Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 100 zetec start + stop

In this market sector there is a clear winner and its neither of those.

We went through this excercise earlier this year and looked at many and the clear winner for space, value, kit and drivability was the Skoda Fabia 1.0 TSi.

No idea what your budget is or what spec you desire but as an example Carfile.net are currently quoting approx £11500 (after contributions) for a 95 PS version in SE trim. Obviously used will be much lower.

All the car you need but in truth the 110 PS engine is better as is SE-L trim.

Mazda 2 versus Ford Fiesta Eco boost - Which hatchback would you choose and why? - SLO76
The Fabia is a good little hatch also (I should’ve added it along with the Polo and Ibiza) and a bit more refined at speed in similar fashion to its close relatives the Polo and Ibiza. We bought a used Polo diesel a number of years back as a commuter and it’s been a great car for us. I find it very capable as a long distance car with supple ride and good sound insulation but I’d still aim to buy used with such high mileage in mind again as depreciation will really hurt. Our Polo cost just over £7k three years ago and would easily fetch £4-5-£5k now as a private sale. A new example of any of the above would lose far more over the same term with 60k added.
Mazda 2 versus Ford Fiesta Eco boost - Which hatchback would you choose and why? - Leif
I was surprised no one mentioned the Fabia/Polo/Ibiza. You got an excellent price, don’t assume used will be much cheaper, not if you buy approved anyway.

Thanks all for your input. Got a Mazda 2 sports launch edition 21k fsh £7995. :))) son!

Thanks all for your input. Got a Mazda 2 sports launch edition 21k fsh £7995. :))) son!

Great car, well bought.

I was admiring one at a customers house the other week and a very fine looking car it is!. I'm sure it will provide sterling service.