What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MAZDA CX3 - SERVICE PLANS-PROS AND CONS - FoxyJukebox

Taking delivery next week of a nearly new CX3 and been offered a 3 year service plan as an option. Am quite tempted. 3 services. I can pay monthly. Car guaranteed for 3 years. Dealership-just down the road.Are these deals a good idea? What do they include and what do they not include?

I have a confident and cheaper local independent, but doubt whether he has access to all the Mazda gadgetry(s)

BUT -assuming the three years of servicing will mainly involve just checks, top ups and an oil change-perhaps it's better to just "pay as I go" ? In fact I have a sneeky feeling the deal might not even include the oil change( anyone know?), hence my obvious question--what's included/what's not?

I'm pretty sure that stuff like brake shoes( if needed in year 3!) are not included,suggesting that anything with a flavour of wear and tear ain't either?

Mazda Dealer is very local and is probably best for Mazda knowledge, softwareupdates etc.

Wonder if they give priiority to Service Plan Members ?

Obviously I will use them for anything requiring maintenance attention during the guarantee period

All views welcome and folks experiences/costs of service plans ( of any make) are valuable?

MAZDA CX3 - SERVICE PLANS-PROS AND CONS - skidpan

Its not to difficult to make your own decision.

1) Ask the delaer how much the first 3 services would cost if bought individually

2) Work out how much the service plan for those 3 services would cost you.

If 1 is greater than 2 buy the service plan, if 2 is greater than 1 don't.

But only buy a service plan if it is the manufacturers one. If you buy a dealer one and the cease trading you will loose your money. If the dealer proved himelf to be rubbish you cannot go elsewhere with the plan, if its a manufacturers plan you can go to any dealer.

We had a 3 year plan on the Leon. £11 a month for 34 months, total £374. Bought individually the services were over £450.

On the Skodas its £279 for a 2 year plan, the services are about £330 to buy individually.

But when we had the Kia the manufacturer plan was £24 a month for the first 4 services, £1152. The dealer quoted about £900 for the services so we did not but it despite his insistence it was great value. In actual fact we paid about £800 for the first 4 services including 2 MOT's but I did supply the oil after the frist service (he charged an incredible £63 for 5 litres). 15 litres of OEM spec oil cost me £62.

MAZDA CX3 - SERVICE PLANS-PROS AND CONS - SteVee

I would receommend taking the service plan - you want to take a (nearly) new car to a dealer so that any Technical Service Bulletins are applied and to ensure any warranty options are easy. By all means take the car to your indie for ny brake work etc - it's unlikely that the service plan applies to consumables such as brakes.

MAZDA CX3 - SERVICE PLANS-PROS AND CONS - Manatee

Start by checking the costs as Skidpan suggests.

I have a service plan on my Outlander that I know will save me money. Mazda's however don't seem such good value. The service plan for the MX-5 is £599. On the dealer's price list the first three services came to £702. I didn't buy the plan. The first service price had been quoted as £199. I rang a different Mazda dealer who quoted £147.

The plan won't include brake pads.

MAZDA CX3 - SERVICE PLANS-PROS AND CONS - RobJP

You say you don't know if the service plan includes oil changes on all services or not.

ASK. Find out.

While you're at it, find out from the service department EXACTLY what the individual services will cost you if bought at the time.

MAZDA CX3 - SERVICE PLANS-PROS AND CONS - concrete

Well made point regarding the supplier of the service plan. A dealer one or a mkaers one! If the dealer is really well established you should be fine in terms of security for your money. Dealers always display the prices of the various types of service available so it should be easy to compare the individual service and the plan and also see the difference between several nearby dealers. If it is a makers plan then you can choose the dealer to suit yourself. I looked at these plans last year when getting a new car and they looked good value compared to displayed prices. All it needs is some snooping around and information gathering. Good luck. Concrete

MAZDA CX3 - SERVICE PLANS-PROS AND CONS - Engineer Andy

To add to the already excellent commentary as a owner of a Mazda car from new for over 12 years, I too would endorse checking both the prices AND reviews of as many Mazda main dealers as possible that are within reasonable reach, as servicing prices can vary by up to 15% in my experience, particularly if you live near a large city or upmarket area. Sadly the quality of the service departments at their dealers varies quite a bit and thus I'd go by reputation far more than price.

During the 3 year warranty period don't use an indie for servicing for the reasons already given, but a good one may be worth using for brake servicing and repairs as the vast majority of faults won't be covered by the warranty (as most, as I've discovered, are due to low use) and aren't cheap to fix at most main dealers. Some may price match indies if you're lucky, but again go on quality only - poor repairs or servicing will shorten the car's life, cost you more in the long run and can be more than an annoyance.

One thing to bear in mind (I looked last year to change my car and considered the CX-3) is that both the 16 and 18in tyres on this car and the 3 are quite uncommon and so are about 25% more expensive than the more common sizes like for my car, plus there's a lot less to choose from as well.