What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Left-foot braking - DrTeeth

Once again I have read about HJ saying that automatic drivers should left-foot brake.

I cannot follow his logic as surely this should apply to manual car drivers too? The left foot uses the clutch or is redundant. In both cases the right foot uses the brakes and accelerator. It is implausable that an automatic driver is more likely to mis-brake than a manual driver.

Both drivers have the same reactiuon times to right any error.

Cheers

DrTeeth

Left-foot braking - dan86

Personally I can't see any benefit in left foot breaking. I jump in and out of different vehicles manual or automatic and never thought I don't have full control of the breaks without using my left foot. If I'm doing slow maneuvering in a decent automatic the creep us usuely enough to let me just hover over the break pedel.

Left-foot braking - RobJP

With 'senior' drivers in particular there have been a fair number of cases where people have mistaken the accelerator for the brake and done exactly as the person described in the case involved.

If those people had been taught (or had learned) to drive an automatic two-footed, then the accidents (and in some cases, fatalities) would simply not have happened.

Left-foot braking - nellyjak

I have been driving autos for over 50 years...and have NEVER used left foot braking...nor will I.

Seems totally unnatural to me.

Left-foot braking - RobJP

I have been driving autos for over 50 years...and have NEVER used left foot braking...nor will I.

Does it seem unnatural because you've never done it ?

After all, going around in a couple of tonnes of metal, being propelled by explosions, isn't the most 'natural' thing to do, but you've been doing it for 50 years ...

Left-foot braking - Bromptonaut

This subject has been covered many times on this site. Either, like RobJP above you can see a rationale for it or you cannot.

Other than covering it in close quarter manouvres, more necessary in era of manual chokesand racing idles than today, I cannot see the point.

Right leg has the finesse to brake, left does not.

Left-foot braking - catsdad
If you swap between manual and auto, and left foot brake, then you risk hitting the clutch in the manual when trying to emergency brake..........
Left-foot braking - John F
If you swap between manual and auto, and left foot brake, then you risk hitting the clutch in the manual when trying to emergency brake..........

This is the best argument I have seen against HJ's unpopular and to my mind misguided/misguiding advice to left foot brake. Doubt if he'll change it, though. Reminds me of a joke told to me by my father-in-law, a doctor. '..you can always tell a Guy's man, but you can't tell him much'....(Guy's was a famous London teaching hospital)

Left-foot braking - FoxyJukebox

....If you've been brought up on a manual and swap to an automatic, there is a natural built in tendency to want to change gear using the automatic stick shift options.That's fine--but if without thinking you then ALSO left foot on your brake pedal thinking it might be the clutch--then you come to a sudden highly dangerous seriously instant stop?

Left-foot braking - bathtub tom

....If you've been brought up on a manual and swap to an automatic, there is a natural built in tendency to want to change gear using the automatic stick shift options.That's fine--but if without thinking you then ALSO left foot on your brake pedal thinking it might be the clutch--then you come to a sudden highly dangerous seriously instant stop?

Done that at the first junction I've come to every time I've jumped into an auto.

I can see the advantage of left foot braking and if I ever get an auto in my dotage, I suspect it would be a good idea.

Left-foot braking - colinh

Probably only practicable in the cramped space of right-hand drive pedal boxes. LHD tend to have a foot-rest on or near the wheel arch for the left foot, and it would be too slow to move to the brake. Toyota's handbooks have a warning against left-foot braking in their hybrids

Left-foot braking - barney100

People have a dominant side unless they are completely ambidextrous. I write right handed, kick a ball with my R foot, use tools in my right hand etc etc...so I should use my left foot to brake? theres a little rest for your left foot on my auto and it stays there.

Left-foot braking - Alby Back
Not sure what all the fuss is about. Anyone can steer with either hand if the other one is busy changing gear or operating a switch. Anyone can brake with either foot too if the situation makes it convenient. I use both techniques depending on mood or circumstance. No hard and fast rule required.

I suspect that some people must only drive using their sub conscious brain rather than with their conscious one if they struggle with something simple like that.
Left-foot braking - Manatee
I suspect that some people must only drive using their sub conscious brain rather than with their conscious one if they struggle with something simple like that.

We all do. So called 'muscle memory'. Until you have acquired it and left foot braking becomes unconscious, it's lethal advice.

I think it's pretty redundant anyway. If someone is going to confuse brake and accelerator, I suspect they can do it regardless of which feet they use.

I drive manual and auto, I have one of each, and I'm quite capable of forgetting momentarily which I am driving and making the wrong instinctive reaction, so I am damned sure I'm not going to start messing about with left foot braking.

Reactions are subconscious, there are many moments in driving when things happen automatically. Think driving is a mixture of observation, reactions and fingers crossed.

Left-foot braking - nellyjak

Does it seem unnatural because you've never done it ?

After all, going around in a couple of tonnes of metal, being propelled by explosions, isn't the most 'natural' thing to do, but you've been doing it for 50 years ...

I don't think about it that deeply...it's just counter-intuitive to me..we are all different.

Driven autos for years, tried the LF braking on a private road and I found it unnerving.

Left-foot braking - Hugh Watt

RobJP, I think you've missed the OP's point, which is that " It is implausable that an automatic driver is more likely to mis-brake than a manual driver." Why do you think that specifically drivers of automatics require training in LF braking?

I'd like to see relevant data on the incidence of this type of accident, comparing manual and automatic cars. Are auto drivers more susceptible? Why would that be?

HJ of course always ignores the issue of left- or right-sided dominance, and the effects of habit and "muscle memory" as described by many commenters here.

Edited by Slow Eddie on 23/06/2018 at 15:39

Left-foot braking - James55

I agree. The problem is for drivers who drive a mixture of manual and auto cars. Confusion is likely to occur at the worst possible time, because in an emergency your hardwired instincts come to the fore. About two years ago I changed cars from a VW with ignition switch on the right, to a Peugeot with starter to the left of column. Even now, if I'm very tired or stressed, the old habit reemerges. In the case of braking that's not a confusion I want to happen

Left-foot braking - edlithgow

... never thought I don't have full control of the breaks

You never have full control of the breaks.

That's why they call them "the breaks"

Thems the breaks.

Left-foot braking - Leif
I had an accident when driving an auto. I used my left foot to brake, but didn’t have the required level of motor control (no pun intended) so braked too sharply, and someone drove into the back of me. Turned out to be my boss at work, but that’s another story. If I brake with my right foot, I have more control, as that is my dominant left/foot. Maybe with time I could have learnt to do it with my left foot.
Left-foot braking - Avant

This is one of those topics where there isn't a right or wrong: human beings are all different, and what suits one person won't suit another.

There are some very good logical reasons for left-foot braking with an automatic, although personally I would take it up only if I drove nothing but automatics. As SWMBO doesn't like automatics, one of our cars is always a manual - so I stick to using my right foot.

Left-foot braking - Engineer Andy

This is one of those topics where there isn't a right or wrong: human beings are all different, and what suits one person won't suit another.

There are some very good logical reasons for left-foot braking with an automatic, although personally I would take it up only if I drove nothing but automatics. As SWMBO doesn't like automatics, one of our cars is always a manual - so I stick to using my right foot.

Exactly - I test drove an auto Mazda CX-3 (never driven an auto before) last year, and tried left foot braking for manouvring in my workplace car park (safe as it was a Saturday and there was nobody around but me). I found it difficult to say the least, but I may try again if and when I get a new car that is an auto.

For normal driving, I'd rather stick to what feels natural to me, which is right foot braking. Personally speaking, and from a safety and car health pov, I can't see any benefit of left foot braking for manual cars - you always need your left foot available to depress the clutch when the engine gets near stall speed, especially on emergency stops, so the only time its even worth left foot braking is moderate braking when you're not going to stop or go to low revs.

As Bromptonaut says, the vast majority of people favour one leg (like their hand) for 'finess' control and that's usually the right one, presumably some biological reason. I wonder if this is true for left handed/footed people. As he says, rather a moot point for most as you do what feels comfortable.

I think most crashes caused by elderly people pressing the accelerator by mistake instead of the brake, particularly when doing slow speed manouvres, is perhaps due to either:

• Them not fitting the floor mat back correctly after vacuuming, and pressing the (actual) brake presses the accelerator as well, or;
  • Their lack of mobility meaning/fine motor control they don't have the ability to quickly change the position of their leg to the left 100% of the time but still instinctively press down. Technically, there's no reason why this shouldn't happen in a manual though, although if its at very low speed (and therefore revs) it could be negated by them stalling the car as they intially take their foot off the accelerator pedal the first time before 'braking'.

I do agree that its not always a good idea for older people who've never driven an auto before to swtich over to one because their clutch control starts to wane, as this could indicate they don't have (or won't soon) the ability to properly depress the pedals with sufficient force or have the required fine motor skills necessary to keep driving to a reasonable standard and/or safely. That and (though not for all people) the 'old [proverbial] dog and new tricks' phrase springs to mind.

Left-foot braking - Warfstaff

I drive an automatic and have been reassured when carrying out slow speed manoeuvres on an incline on a surface with pot-holes or kerbs to cover the brake with my left foot. The amount of throttle to get an auto to bite to provide motion, forwards or reverse, can sometimes not be reduced quickly enough to stop motion, but covering the brake ensures a rapid cessation of movement.

Just as a tangential thought, why would most car manufacturers make the brake pedal wider on autos if it wasn't intended to be used by either foot depending on driver preference or circumstance?

Pretty clear to me that it's to make it convenient to use either foot given what suits the situation, and that's exactly what I do.

And, as for the "muscle memory" theory, that only stands up if the driver isn't concentrating on driving.

In an emergency braking situation there is no time to think, it's pure instinct. You can only rely on instant reactions, good observation can keep you out of much trouble but once in a while you have only a split second to stop your car with whichever foot suits you. Would be interesting to know if left handed drivers use their left foot to brake on autos.

Well, I'm possibly a bit weird, but I write with my right hand, use tools with either hand, kick a ball with my left foot, play squash with my right hand, but can play adequately with my left hand and brake with either foot.
Left-foot braking - Avant

Not weird, Alby - just a lot more ambidextrous than I am! Interesting point - I suppose that the more proficient you are with either side (hand or foot) the more naturally braking with either foot will be.

The important thing, surely, is - given that braking is something we may have to do in an emergency - that each of us should do what comes naturally to us. As I say, we're all different, so this isn't a matter of right or wrong.

Left-foot braking - dan86

In an emergency braking situation there is no time to think, it's pure instinct. You can only rely on instant reactions, good observation can keep you out of much trouble but once in a while you have only a split second to stop your car with whichever foot suits you. Would be interesting to know if left handed drivers use their left foot to brake on autos.

I'm left handed and footed but still find I only need my right foot to break.

Left-foot braking - Sofa Spud

If you only ever drive automatics and have no intention or likelihood of ever driving a manual car, then I'd guess left-foot braking is OK.

I would never use left-foot braking in an automatic. It's potentially dangerous for drivers who switch between manuals and automatics.

When I'm a front seat passenger I sometimes involuntarily 'brake' when I see a hazardous situation ahead. I expect most of us do that sometimes and we've probably seen passengers do it when we've been driving.

So a suggestion - next time you're a passenger, try and tell yourself to use your left foot to do the involuntary braking if a dodgy situation occurs.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 24/06/2018 at 11:50

And, as for the "muscle memory" theory, that only stands up if the driver isn't concentrating on driving.

Perhaps you are not familiar with the term or its meaning. Many everyday actions become automatic with practice, without which it is difficult or impossible to do them at all. Controlling a car is one of them. You can't ride a bike or play the piano just by concentrating.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory

<i>Muscle memory has been used synonymously with motor learning, which is a form of procedural memory that involves consolidating a specific motor task into memory through repetition. When a movement is repeated over time, a long-term muscle memory is created for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed without conscious effort. This process decreases the need for attention and creates maximum efficiency within the motor and memory systems. Examples of muscle memory are found in many everyday activities that become automatic and improve with practice, such as riding a bicycle, typing on a keyboard, typing in a PIN, playing a musical instrument...</i>

When I want to brake, I brake. The thought is the deed. Whatever happens in terms of foot movement just happens automatically.

Of course it's possible to train yourself to brake left footed. I just don't see the point, or the need.

Left-foot braking - Hugh Watt

Exactly, Manatee. (Not the first of your posts I've wanted to say that to.) Maybe those automatic reflexes can weaken with age, leading to hesitancy and stabbing at the wrong pedal... Perish the thought!

Left-foot braking - Bilboman

Interesting discussion of "Muscle memory" and this affects numerous aspects of driving.
The switching of sides of indicator and wiper stalks in Left hand traffic countries annoyed a lot of drivers during the late 70s/early 80s transition period, but other than a few angry flashes of windscreen washers on the North Circular as recently as 1995, no major carnage seems to have occurred as a result.
Drivers venturing to the continent have that horrible sinking feeling of "when am I going to accidentally drive on the wrong side?" and the same in reverse when reaching the first roundabout back in Blighty.
The push action of the parking brake on my Avensis, plus the stupid positioning, right out of sight, was annoying, but I got used to it, and it operated automatically when switching ignition off or when driving away, so not a huge issue.
But as for left foot braking, the jury still seems to be out. Familiarisation courses should be made available (compulsory?) for those driving an automatic for the first time, and it's probably not a good idea to switch to automatic later in life. Let's be careful out there...

Left-foot braking - gordonbennet

I wonder why lorries, the vast vast majority of large ones over the last 10 year sold/leased/rented in the UK having automated manual boxes, always have a standard sized foot brake pedal, and unless you have a sci-fi alien's impossibly bendy legs are almost impossible to LFB because of the steering column, all deliberately designed to keep your left foot out of the way.

The only time i have ever had the need to LFB has been on extremely tight closeand steep angle maneuvers when loading a car transporter, and then usually with second rate gearboxes noted as being hopeless for maneuvers, ie automated manuals and dual clutch things, never needed with proper TC auto boxes.

So why do automatic cars have wide brake pedals then?
Left-foot braking - Pica

I never have a problem when I drive automatic transmission cars I always left foot brake as I find it easier. I also own a manual transmission car and obviously right foot brake and when riding my motorcycle I use my hands to brake. I don't think about what foot or hand I am using I just naturally do it without thinking. My wife always right foot brakes whenever she drives cars.

For me in an auto it is right foot to go and left foot to stop......simples

Edited by Pica on 24/06/2018 at 18:46

I'm not so sure they always did, yes my Mk 3 Zodiac had w ider brake pedal, but i can't recall whether auto Rovers and Austin Westminsters of the era did, maybe someone else remembers better.

Its sensible in that its the most important foot pedal and without a clutch on cars that leaves lots of room for both a harder to miss wider pedal and a left foot rest,

...Or, could it just be possible that it's because its recognised by manufacturers, and has been for decades, that some of their customers randomly or by choice use either foot to brake on autos and it's quite convenient to have a pedal easily accessible by either foot? Just maybe?

No, of course, that's just silly isn't it? If not "dangerous" because none of them are capable of doing that safely are they? ;-)

Not all of us are equipped with precise vehicle control honed over the years in both legs, if i was to try LFB it would be completely random and in an emergency would almost certainly lead to a full power dead stop because my left leg would lack that seat of the pants feel/control that our right legs have spent a lifetime behind the wheel practicing.

So no i'm definately not safe LFB'ing, nor would my right leg be any use at all for trying to operate the clutch, if some others are or think they are, good luck to them.

Because there's a bigger space for it?