What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - Steveieb
For the image conscious it must make sense but for Main Dealers not to offer any discount on a £90 k car and to impose waiting lists this situation must be unique.

Similarly with the Discovery Tv6 s reputation for blowing engines and other reliabilty nightmares the workshops in this part of the midlands are full of broken down LRs leading to long waits to get them fixed.

Can someone explain this madness ? LRs are rarely seen in Australia or the Middle East where reliability can be a matter of life or death !
Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - Falkirk Bairn

One of my twins bought a Discovery, 3 litre petrol auto, in Texas 9 months ago - electric gremlins quite often. AC blew & 3 weeks for parts to arrive - important in a desert climate - he had a Fpace loaner which was "really good".

To compound the issue his twin brother is picking up a Discovery today - diesel auto.

I have stopped warning them about buying certain makes & models eg DSG Golf Gti (turned out to be OK in the 2 years he had it but the T/I dealer took 12 mths to re-sell it). Several Minis that had repeated problems & they bought another! All brand new so no dodgy history.

Picking up his car today 550 mile round trip - bought in Yorkshire - best prices for Cost of Change by £9,000 over his local Land Rover outlets & even those in the Central belt.

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - nellyjak

I think you have to be a "dyed in the wool" LR fan to have one.!..and I know quite a few..and they constantly "forgive" the frailties and failings for reasons I cannot understand.

Now I like the THOUGHT of a nice RR/Disco/Defender...BUT I have never had the balls or outright desire to go and actually BUY one...and that is purely down to their dismal reputation.

I buy Toyota because I want the highest degree of reliability I can get.

Not so many years ago, you would always see LR's of some description in news/documentary items in Africa/famine or UNHCR locations etc...now it's ALWAYS Toyota.!...even the damn terrorists have Toyota pick ups by the dozen.!

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - TheGentlemanThug

Now I like the THOUGHT of a nice RR/Disco/Defender...BUT I have never had the balls or outright desire to go and actually BUY one...and that is purely down to their dismal reputation.

And in one paragraph the question has been answered. Cars like these are desireable, simple as that.

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - nellyjak

And in one paragraph the question has been answered. Cars like these are desireable, simple as that.

Clearly my "desire" is simply not strong enough....I think I'll continue to give them a miss.

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - Leif

I just checked reviews, and they do well, so the journalists like them. Maybe if they said "We can't recommend the vehicle as it is known to be unreliable and expensive to repair" sales might fall?

I read a a review by Clarkson of one of these big wobbley wheeled barge things, and he was dribbling from the corners of his mouth (more so than usual I might add). Maybe owners can give us insights?

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - Manatee

I don't own one, but I have done considerable distances with one, there are few things more comfortable to drive than a Range Rover. I would have one if somebody else paid for the petrol and the repairs.

Defenders? Hmm. The opposite, really. Awful driving position, slow, noisy, and they all leak when it rains. They are really a piece of agricultural machinery, not a car.

I had a Series 3 for a while. I couldn't help liking it, I just didn't want to travel in it for more than a few miles, and as I had no sheep to put in it I sold it.

I rather wish I'd kept it because prices have gone bonkers.

I don't own one, but I have done considerable distances with one, there are few things more comfortable to drive than a Range Rover. I would have one if somebody else paid for the petrol and the repairs.

Interesting. You have to be rich to buy a new Range Rover. I wonder what the typical after tax income is of families that buy one?

Interesting. You have to be rich to buy a new Range Rover. I wonder what the typical after tax income is of families that buy one?

I don't suppose too many people buy them new with their own money, other than footballers now. They seem to start at £80,000+ and can run to double that.

The one I have driven a lot is actually about 18 years old now, a V8 petrol. Yes it breaks down from time to time) but despite being tatty still feels luxurious. Does about 22mpg.

On reflection I wouldn't have a new one even on someone else's money - just too wasteful and anti-social really, and too conspicuous.

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - corax

I just checked reviews, and they do well, so the journalists like them. Maybe if they said "We can't recommend the vehicle as it is known to be unreliable and expensive to repair" sales might fall?

The reviews are based on someone owning the car within the warranty period and no more, and I should ruddy well hope it would be reliable assuming age and typical mileage. It seems a shame that you can't have the comfort and ability of a Range Rover for more than a few years before things start going pear shaped.. They are not cheap so where is all the money going? Not on good engineering it seems.

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - John F
....... Can someone explain this madness ? LRs are rarely seen in Australia or the Middle East where reliability can be a matter of life or death !

Yes. It is thought that there is a genetic basis for irrationality or 'madness'. This is why it is impossible to get some people to accept a matter of fact - or an untruth. Commercial and religious industries have always attempted to identify and target such people, and the internet has provided them with stunning profits and fearful results.

I wouldn't put it quite like that, but there must be a gene for contrariness. Very closely linked perhaps to spontaneous creativity.

I don't think it is the only way to be inventive or original, perhaps not even the most efficient, but maybe such people have been responsible in part for the technical advance of th human race, for good and mainly ill.

It's definitely a thing. Why else, because there are unexplained lights on the sky or strange noises in the night, do so many people seem to prefer the least likely explanations of all the possible ones such as alien space travellers or ghosts?

But I don't think it covers buying Range Rovers.

One factor I'm sure is that humans generally don't have a good feel for probability even if they have seen the numbers. Why else do they buy tickets for lotteries that when the jackpot is as near impossible to win as makes no difference? It's far, far more likely that any number of unpleasant things will happen to them in a given week, but most people don't stop to think about those or even take particular care to avoid them.

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - badbusdriver

This neatly ties in with the prestige car thread also current, and it simply boils down to aspiration. People these days rarely, if ever, seem to be happy/satisfied/contented with what they have, they always want more/bigger/better/faster/newer. On this forum particularly, we are acutely aware of how little research most people put in before shelling out a huge sum of money, most often these days in the form of a monthly payment, for the latest 'must have' car. Regardless of the poor results in most reliability surveys, Land Rover products are desirable, from an image point of view, and that, for many, is the only thing that matters.Having a fancy, trendy, image concious car is the clearest way of showing others you are doing well, even if it is often just a pretence.

A book i am reading at the moment has a couple of paragraphs directly relating to this modern phenomenon comparing the attitude of the younger generations with older ones..

"What was wrong with her own generation?. Why were they never satisfied?. Why did everything and everyone always always have to be measured, compared, evaluated?. What was this unresolved restlessness that kept driving them onward, forward, to the next goal?. A total inability to stop and be happy about the goals they had already reached, a constant fear that someone might pass them by, that they might have missed something that might have been slightly better, made them slightly happier. So many choices, but how could they manage all of them?.

The older generation had fought to realise their dreams: education, a home, children, and then the goal was attained. None of them had ever suspected that they might need so much more. No one accused them of lacking ambition if they stayed in one job more than a couple of years; on the contrary, loyalty was honourable. They had the ablity to sit down and feel content with their lives. They had fought hard and enjoyed their successes."

I assume that is a fiction book? I long ago concluded that fiction writers are rather opinionated and sometimes objectionable people who convince their readers of the value of their all too often misguided views by couching them in beautiful prose.

Thank God the horrible class ridden attitudes that prevailed 40 years ago have gone. Along with the bigotry includng racism, though sexism is still prevalent.

Wow, your reaction suggests i may have touched a nerve!. Yes, it is a fictional book, but i feel the author's comments (from the perspective of one of the main character's) is bang on.

Also, you feel that bigotry and racism no longer exist?, really?

Wow, your reaction suggests i may have touched a nerve!. Yes, it is a fictional book, but i feel the author's comments (from the perspective of one of the main character's) is bang on.

Also, you feel that bigotry and racism no longer exist?, really?

No not really, the author is seeing the past through rose tinted spectacles. It’s all rather cosy, but unreal. Of course bigotry and racism still exist in the U.K., but not in the same openly unashamed way. For example Paki bashing, as it was called, was commonplace when I was young.

"I assume that is a fiction book? I long ago concluded that fiction writers are rather opinionated and sometimes objectionable people who convince their readers of the value of their all too often misguided views by couching them in beautiful prose."

Still, this is a very peculiar statement and seems to show you having a very cynical view on the talents and motivation of fiction writers who you seem to feel only do what they do to push their own opinions and agenda's on their readers!. How many fiction writers do you know well enough to make that kind of judgement?.

The fact that they are writing fiction means they are creating characters who, necessarily will have to have their own views and beliefs, probably different to the author and definately to other characters in the book. Agatha Christie famously grew to hate Poirot as she felt he was a horrible little man!. Given this, i think it is fair to say Poirot's opinions and views were somewhat removed from those of Agatha. Also, i remember hearing an interview with Ian Rankin a few years ago and him answering questions, which would sometimes then be followed with, "and how would Rebus answer that question", the answers were invariably completely different.

"I assume that is a fiction book? I long ago concluded that fiction writers are rather opinionated and sometimes objectionable people who convince their readers of the value of their all too often misguided views by couching them in beautiful prose."

Still, this is a very peculiar statement and seems to show you having a very cynical view on the talents and motivation of fiction writers who you seem to feel only do what they do to push their own opinions and agenda's on their readers!. How many fiction writers do you know well enough to make that kind of judgement?.

The fact that they are writing fiction means they are creating characters who, necessarily will have to have their own views and beliefs, probably different to the author and definately to other characters in the book. Agatha Christie famously grew to hate Poirot as she felt he was a horrible little man!. Given this, i think it is fair to say Poirot's opinions and views were somewhat removed from those of Agatha. Also, i remember hearing an interview with Ian Rankin a few years ago and him answering questions, which would sometimes then be followed with, "and how would Rebus answer that question", the answers were invariably completely different.

No, not at all. When I was younger I read lots, believing what the author stated as true, and thinking that they had insight into other people’s psychology. In reality it is only one persons view of the world, and all too often a rather narrow one as most authors have limited life experience. Few if any have created their own company, or led an engineering team, or achieved at sport. In my experience the world is a far more wonderful and complex thing than portrayed in books. Anyway, if people enjoy reading stories, that’s good. The only point I really wanted to make is that the views of the writer you paraphrased were unrealistic. In my view of course.

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - bazza

Interesting. You have to be rich to buy a new Range Rover. I wonder what the typical after tax income is of families that buy one?.....................

I think a lot of people spend up to their means, ie the opposite of thrifty. I reckon us folk typically come as two types, either thrifty or spenders! Myself I am thrifty or tight, I had a poor upbringing, and those habits have stayed with me. It's a pain sometimes.

I know a family who are the opposite, huge income, large house in the country, extravagent parties, villa on the Costa, enormous Audi SUV runaround. They constantly talk about cash flow and making ends meet!

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - kiss (keep it simple)

Our neighbours have a Range Rover. Bought (or more likely leased) new. It looks lovely and I am sure it's lovely to be in. It spends the whole week parked in their drive and occasionally goes out at weekends. I doubt it does enough miles to go wrong.

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - madf

I meet lots of 4x4s - mainly new - on the single track roads I travel on to go to our Beekeeping Apiary. You need to be able to :

reverse a car

remember where the last passing space was so you can reverse to it if the other driver is descending a steep hill

be prepared to go onto the verge to let another pass.

Drivers of newer 4x4s - as a general rule - can do none of the above.

(Occasionally you meet a LARGE tractor about 5 meters tall and 4 metres wide which you just have to reverse for.. as the tractor has no chance.. so be prepared to reverse 400 meters or so - on very twisty roads with high hedges. Range Rovers biggies don't drive on these roads- no way can they be reversed by their typical drivers 40 meters let alone 400)

Edited by madf on 21/06/2018 at 15:07

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve come across a new 4 by 4 on a narrow lane, and I’ve had to go off road in my small city car, cos they don’t want to get their tyres muddy.

Edited by Leif on 21/06/2018 at 19:32

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - Alby Back
Does it occur to anyone else that there seems to be a fair bit of vitriol here directed at those who choose to drive nice cars? ( whether they can afford them or not ) Bit ironic for for a motoring forum don't you think? ;-)

I don't want a Range Rover by the way, but I'm not at all bothered if someone else has one. I quite like to look at cars I don't need and will almost certainly never buy, if they are good examples of their type.

I suppose I like most cars really, for different reasons. There aren't many that have nothing to commend them.

I had a Defender once, well, it wasn't a Defender because they hadn't called them that yet, it was just a 90 County. Orange with a 3.5 V8. I was very fond of it, and it was ideal for where I lived at the time ( 1200' above sea level in rural Scotland ) It was very fond of petrol though, which was the reason we eventually fell out.
I saw a lovely Mazda MX5 outside the local brewery when I bought some beer today. And a colleague bought a nice Jaguar XF recently. I have no hatred of posh cars and their drivers. But I do loathe big 4 by 4s unless driven by people who use them off road for work. If they park next to me, I have zero vision that side. Often they stop outside a shop, engine running, making the air smell foul. And they don’t have to comply with the pedestrian safety regs that apply to cars. So they are more dangerous for other road users. But I do like old VW camper vans. And I can understand the craze for more sitty upper cars. But why have one with a very complex 4 by 4 and off road mechanism for on road use? Rant over.
An extreme example of the awareness of the reliabilty issue is when an official in a South American country well known for kidnapping was told by Head Office he was to be sent a replacement Range Rover.

The official regularly used the vehicle to go out of town to carry out his duties and had been left stranded in an area frequented by bandits whose income was generated from kidnapping.

He asked for a Toyota Landcruiser for obvious reasons !
Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - Alby Back
When I worked in Brazil in the late 80s / early 90s I had an old Ford Landau, ran on sugar cane alcohol. ( as did I much of the time ) It was a bit like a New York taxi in appearance, big spongy, lollopy saloon. Mine was black, with a black vinyl roof ( sexy eh? ) It didn't do to stand out from the crowd in some places.
Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - gordonbennet

Whether you like RR's or not, you have to admit they have got the image thing right, and doing it right pays.

They have a large show fleet, which get sent to all the right shows, ie Burleigh horse trials, they are used as courtesy cars, the drivers and staff are well chosen for the task, Land Rovers are part and parcel of the country set, doesn't matter if another product might be better, it simply doesn't doesn't get a look in and LR have got this market sewn up, which influences others also to buy in.

Then look at Land Rover product placement, when used in films and TV they are usually the car driven by the upper crust or successful person roles or for security of the important, not for LR the wide boy, hit man or drug dealer's car, usually German for that role in black with limo black windows.

I wouldn't want one even as an all expenses paid perk, i like Landcruisers because they don't really have an image to speak of and don't get noticed, and they tend not to break.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/06/2018 at 21:26

Latest news from one of my friends whose Disco TV 6 engine blew due to oil starvation.
He had a rebuild at a cost approaching 10k and two months later it's blown again.

The other friend took £2500 trade in for his 10 plate against a newish defender and probably made the right decision.

I am hearing more stories how JLR keep the lid on this. They appear to have a generous buy back scheme for disgruntled owners along the lines allegedly of some of the French manufacturers.

So the true scale of the problems doesn't appear above the radar.
Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - colinh

Think their "success" is due to their PR department - the trips for reviewers always seen to coincide with overseas' international sporting events - may be a coincidence

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - Metropolis.
Latest news from one of my friends whose Disco TV 6 engine blew due to oil starvation.
He had a rebuild at a cost approaching 10k and two months later it's blown again.

The other friend took £2500 trade in for his 10 plate against a newish defender and probably made the right decision.

I am hearing more stories how JLR keep the lid on this. They appear to have a generous buy back scheme for disgruntled owners along the lines allegedly of some of the French manufacturers.

So the true scale of the problems doesn't appear above the radar.

The sooner JLR stop buying in this PSA/Ford junk engine the better! I hear they plan to make a straight 6 version of the current 4pot diesel ingenium engine, which provided its installed
longitudinally and not transverse, seems to give very few problems.
Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - ohsoslow

Apparently some years ago there was an advert in Australia that went on the lines of.......

If you want to go outback buy a Range Rover, if you want to get back buy a Toyota.

I’m a firm believer in buying domestic. All you naysayers, have you driven a range rover? Or a Disco 4? They are simply remarkable vehicles to drive, captains chairs in the front, ride quality and refinement level with the best luxury saloons along with handling that can rival and often beat the tin pot hatchbacks we see so often cluttering our roads. Add to that a terrific commanding driving position, good visibility and superb safety (going on crash death statistics). So much potential in this brand, and like it or not, JLR are our de facto national carmaker. If this is the best we can do, we should be supporting them. If not, then we’ll be faced with another Rover story with JLR going under. I remember HJ endlessly deriding Rover before their untimely demise. I am aware of Land Rover’s issues, but i’d rather drive my British Disco than some reverse engineered foreign copycat, or else we’ll wake up with no national carmaker at all. We then have no potential for improvement. You can tell a lot about a country by the cars it produces, and equally about those with no national brands.

I’m all for competition, but that’s for the foreign market. Yes, I know they’re owned by TATA, but you’re not about to tell me Jeep are an Italian brand.

I note production of the discovery will be moving to slovakia, with the willing assistance of EU money, thank goodness we’re leaving, hope it makes the german brands more expensive in years to come.
If we could just sort out the quality control issues,
we’d have the best cars in the world.
Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - Oli rag
I remember a few years ago on Newsnight, there was an article about Landrover. The motoring industry expert Professor Garel Rhys was talking about their reliability problems and he said simply that Landrover had outgrown their own quality systems.

Edited by Oli rag on 29/06/2018 at 15:18

All you naysayers, have you driven a range rover? Or a Disco 4?

Hundreds, possibly thousands.

LR's problem is engines, i've never been able to fathom out why they ponce about with car or van engines too small for the bigger models, particularly the Diesels, this has always been the case except for the V8 Diesel, and why they didn't make that a 5 litre from the start is odd, big engines can be detuned a little and still give stump pulling torque, and they last for ever because they are running easy.

No one buys a Range Rover or full size Disco (or equivalent Japanese 4x4) and expects 40mpg, if they do they'll be sorely disappointed, they want and expect effortless power instantly and are prepared to pay for it at the pumps, but there would be little in the way of fuel penalty with a 5 litre V8 Diesel throbbing away at 1500rpm instead of having to boost and stress an engine 2 litres smaller whilst expecting to propel a 2.5 ton (brick) vehicle at car performance figures.

Edited by gordonbennet on 29/06/2018 at 17:45

Agreed GB, the disco would greatly benefit from the 4.4 v8 that’s in the full fat range rover. Unfortunately I don’t think the men in shiny shoes will allow it, as it could then get above the range rover. It’s nonsense of course, as traditionally the two models both got the same petrol v8s.
Td5 was the exception being quite a sturdy engine, but that was a different era.

Edited by Metropolis. on 29/06/2018 at 18:23

Agreed GB, the disco would greatly benefit from the 4.4 v8 that’s in the full fat range rover. Unfortunately I don’t think the men in shiny shoes will allow it, as it could then get above the range rover. It’s nonsense of course, as traditionally the two models both got the same petrol v8s. Td5 was the exception being quite a sturdy engine, but that was a different era.

The LR i really liked were the Disco 3 series (can't remember now if 4 had the same spec, but probably so) Chinese bound ones i carried many hundreds of, 4x4 NA V8 petrol, sensible size tyres too and all sitting on steel springs...there you go, ideal LPG conversion and you've got probably the simplest large LR of the lot, oh and they take off instantly like a scalded cat.

Edited by gordonbennet on 29/06/2018 at 18:44

Range Rover, Discovery,Defender - Land Rover Mania - kiss (keep it simple)

fron what I can gather on the forums, LR engines aren't failing due to stress, more like problems with all the bolt on goodies (turbos egr valves) or simply bad build quality. If the oil doesn't get to where it's supposed to, any engine is going to suffer.