Ford Mondeo Estate - Ford Mondeo Air Con - sensitivity - Norwblue

The air con in my 2015 Mondeo Estate seems to be over sensitive to temperature changes and effectively seems to try to keep the temperature exactly as set, blowing hot and cold alternately. This almost continuous operation is frustrating and unnecessary and probably doesn't help fuel cnsumption. My previous Ford Focus cars did not work in this manner, requiring a degree or two of temperature change before reacting. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to resolve this?

Ford Mondeo Estate - Ford Mondeo Air Con - sensitivity - elekie&a/c doctor

Not seen or heard of any issues with these.However ,may be an idea to check that the evaporator temp sensor has not been dislodged. Often happens after renewal of the cabin /pollen filter .(access from passenger footwell)

Not seen or heard of any issues with these.However ,may be an idea to check that the evaporator temp sensor has not been dislodged. Often happens after renewal of the cabin /pollen filter .(access from passenger footwell)

Thanks for that - I'll look into it.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Ford Mondeo Air Con - sensitivity - galileo

The air con in my 2015 Mondeo Estate seems to be over sensitive to temperature changes and effectively seems to try to keep the temperature exactly as set, blowing hot and cold alternately. This almost continuous operation is frustrating and unnecessary and probably doesn't help fuel cnsumption. My previous Ford Focus cars did not work in this manner, requiring a degree or two of temperature change before reacting. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to resolve this?

Being pedantic, it sounds as if you have climate control, not plain aircon.

This is why it tries to keep the temperature at what you have set, that is what its supposed to do isn't it?

This is why it tries to keep the temperature at what you have set, that is what its supposed to do isn't it?

Could well be climate control; Ford's owner's manual isn't very specific.

As regards the maintenance of the set temperature - most engineering systems have some hysteresis so that the control system doesn't hunt continuously trying to maintain a specified parameter too closely. Ideally, one would expect air con or climate control to have the same sort of temperature sensitivity as the human body, The problem I have is that the system will, for example, warm the car up to 20deg C. If the temp rises to 20.5 deg as an over shoot, the system comes on to cool it down again followed by a warming cycle because the temp has dropped half a degree below 20.. It's the persistent on-off-on-off every couple of minutes that's annoying.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Ford Mondeo Air Con - sensitivity - galileo

Could well be climate control; Ford's owner's manual isn't very specific.

As regards the maintenance of the set temperature - most engineering systems have some hysteresis so that the control system doesn't hunt continuously trying to maintain a specified parameter too closely. Ideally, one would expect air con or climate control to have the same sort of temperature sensitivity as the human body, The problem I have is that the system will, for example, warm the car up to 20deg C. If the temp rises to 20.5 deg as an over shoot, the system comes on to cool it down again followed by a warming cycle because the temp has dropped half a degree below 20.. It's the persistent on-off-on-off every couple of minutes that's annoying.

I suggst you visit your Ford dealer and explain your problem, not to the front desk or a sales person, but to the Service Manager or a Senior Technician. Thye should be able to confirm if this is a fault or normal.

( For what it;s worth, my central heating cuts in and out at 0.5 degree temperature changes too, but the themal capacity of a house is much larger than that of a car so the time intervals are much longer.)

Ford Mondeo Estate - Ford Mondeo Air Con - sensitivity - skidpan

Easy enought to tell on every car with A/C or climate we have had.

A/C has always had a knob just like you get with a normal heater that adjusts the water flow either by a manual valve or thermostatic valve.

Climate has a digital temp setting that allows you to set the interiror temp of the car to your preferred temp and then drive without needing to adjust.

One exception is VW, they advertise their more basic specs as having Climate and then offering "auto climate" as an option. Truth is in normal speak VW "Climate" is A/C and VW "Auto Climate" is Climate. I do wonder how many buyers have been caught out. The clue for me was simple, the cars equipped with "climate had an ordinary knob and no digital display.