What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Transit Automatic - Automatic Van - Alternative suggestions - Shaun M

I currently have a 2004 Automatic Ford Transit. I currrently do somewhere in the region of 400 Miles per week to and from work. I have four large breed dogs which I currently cage in said van. I would normally have at least three of them when I travel away from work.

The needs are comfortable motorway cruiser for Monday to Friday Something with enough space for weekends. I'm really struggling to find something on the second hand market.needs to be automatic I have no clutch control automatic only licence.

Initially I was thinking something like a Citreon C4 Grand Piccasso, but then I heard that they arent the most reliable vehicles. Automatic transit replacements now only seem to be the electric variety of the now defunct Smith Edison.

I think I have considered most options but would prefer some input

Please help

Ford Transit Automatic - Automatic Van - Alternative suggestions - gordonbennet

You can't beat vans or van based vehicles for space.

The best of the bunch for long reliable life is probably previous model Toyota Hiace, but i suspect you'll be into grey import only models to get the auto box.

A worthy alternative suggest Hyundai i800 MPV, not sure if the van version its based came with an automatic option.

Also have you considered a Hilux twin cab pick up, lovely drive with the 3 litre engine and auto box (call it a cheaper tax band Landcruiser), the only issue is the drop down tailboard is still high with no purchase for dogs to jump up on, though i'm sure it wouldn;t be too difficult to construst some sort of step jump for easier access for the dogs, benefits include completely separate space for them but unless you have a proper insulated canopy over the pick up bed it get mighty cold in there in winter.

Firstly thanks for the response. The reason I love the transit is its just comfortable, but as its a ford they age about as well as an honest politician. So its now looking around. To be honest I hadnt looked at the Hiace.

What are they like for Chassis fatigure or am I confusing that with the Nissan?

Ford Transit Automatic - Automatic Van - Alternative suggestions - gordonbennet

What are they like for Chassis fatigure or am I confusing that with the Nissan?

Think of the previous shape Hiace as basically a van body sitting on a RWD Hilux rolling chassis, tough as old boots, no worries about the chassis breaking its back, that's Navara's party trick.

As said you'd be in grey import territory more than likely, the 2.5 Diesel is a sturdy long lived lump but it needs the turbo, not all have one, but once you start looking at grey imports there's loads of different Toyota MPV types that were never sold here.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/06/2018 at 23:14

Ford Transit Automatic - Automatic Van - Alternative suggestions - SLO76
All very much depends on your budget and requirements. Is a Grand Picasso large enough and are we talking £3k or £30k here?

Possibly depending on what I find 12-15k

Ford Transit Automatic - Automatic Van - Alternative suggestions - daveyK_UK

The Hyundai i800 comes with a decent automatic

Ford Transit Automatic - Automatic Van - Alternative suggestions - SLO76
Sadly many options here are hamstrung with complex and trouble prone automated manual gearboxes such as VW’s DSG and Ford’s Powershift, neither of which would be a wise bet for used longterm purchase.

The Hyundai i800 and Mercedes Viano spring to mind. Neither will be cheap to run however with the i800 in particular being rather thirsty and it costs £540 a year to tax which badly hurts resale meaning crippling depreciation as it ages and likely buyers go down the income scale. The Merc will always find a buyer among the taxi trade however and is a bit nicer to drive. Engine and gearbox are very robust if looked after but parts are dear and electrical gremlins and trim issues fairly common as they’re not built like the Mercs of old.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180518664...9

Ford Transit Automatic - Automatic Van - Alternative suggestions - nellyjak

Not a wide choice band I agree......so don't be too afraid of looking at the "grey import" models...particularly Toyota.

I can understand peeps reluctance but in truth there is little to fear.

You will get a very high spec vehicle..reliable and no different in "techspec" to any UK/Euro model equivalent.

They usually are in well above average condition and not a lot of miles on the clock.

Buy through a respected importer and there is little to go wrong...trust me, I've been there.

I've had my V6 Toyota Estima import for 2 years now...no issues at all and has passed the last 2 MOT inspections with NO advisories...not bad for a 2003 model.!

I had been looking at the Ssangyong but they appear to be equally 'thirsty" to say the least. Which again hampers. The thing that puts me off the 'grey' imports is I'm told they rot due to lacking the nessisary underseal. Is this an old wifes tale and I'm ill informed?

Would anyone suggest an estate? if So what are good quality estates?

I had been looking at the Ssangyong but they appear to be equally 'thirsty" to say the least. Which again hampers. The thing that puts me off the 'grey' imports is I'm told they rot due to lacking the nessisary underseal. Is this an old wifes tale and I'm ill informed?

Absolute rubbish....in fact the opposite is true.

They don't use the dreaded salt on the roads in Japan so don't have the same "needs" as the UK/Europe....and when I checked under my Estima BEFORE I bought it I was frankly amazed at the condtion of the underside..it was like a 1-2 year old UK/Euro car. (still is)

The trick is to get it undersealed/protected after its landed in the UK...mine was done as part of the purchase deal...along with full service, cam belt change etc and much more.

I've had my Estima for over 2 years now...not a sign of any tinworm AT ALL..and has passed it's last 2 MOT'd with NO advisories....not bad for a 2003 vehicle.

Go and have a look at a couple and see for yourself.

Edited by nellyjak on 13/06/2018 at 08:25

Ford Transit Automatic - Automatic Van - Alternative suggestions - John Donaghy

Hi Nellyjak

Could you name some respected importers- or is that advertising?

Hi Nellyjak

Could you name some respected importers- or is that advertising?

Where are you in the UK.?

Ford Transit Automatic - Automatic Van - Alternative suggestions - John Donaghy

West Sussex

West Sussex

Can't think of any off hand down your way...but you can Google away and use eBay too, to see what dealers/importers are offering in your area...costs nowt to go and look.

Nearest I can think of to you is Goodmayes motors but IIRC they are in Essex, Colchester way.

Edited by nellyjak on 13/06/2018 at 16:19

Ford Transit Automatic - Automatic Van - Alternative suggestions - retgwte

Re "Automatic transit replacements" the fire brigade get them, so they must be available new on special order, especlallly for fleets like fire brigades... So I guess its a question of figuring out when these become available on the second hand market. Of course they will have had a rather different life than normal.

Ford Transit Automatic - Automatic Van - Alternative suggestions - badbusdriver

For your requirements and budget, i'd be looking at Japanese imports as suggested earlier, maybe something like this:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180404523...1

The rearmost seats fold up against either side and the middle row can be slid right forward to the back of the front seats leaving plenty of room for the dogs. The hybrid drivetrain should provide reasonable economy and, being a Toyota, reliablity is a given.