What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2003 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec auto. - Leave, buy or claim for windscreen? - bluenun

My windscreen has a chip/crack in it where a stone flicked up, the longest line is about 15mm.

In January I was given an advisory note but it passed the M.O.T.

I tried to repair it with a resin kit but it did not fill in.

I do have fully comprehensive insurance but have never made a claim, I currently have the maximum 9 years.

There is an excess of £60 to pay for a repaired windscreen, I do not know if that includes replacement, if I made a claim would I lose my NCB?

How much would a replacement windscreen cost for my car without using my insurance?

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec auto. - Leave, buy or claim for windscreen? - nellyjak

Have the screen replaced through your insurance...your insurance documents will tell you what the excess is..maybe £50/60....some are more..but way cheaper than paying for it yourself.!..it won't affect your No Claims record.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec auto. - Leave, buy or claim for windscreen? - RobJP

As nellyjak says.

A windscreen will NOT affect your NCD, and does NOT need to be informed at renewal or if changing companies as a claim.

Thank-you both for the replies.

Good to know it wont affect my NCD or increase the next years premium.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec auto. - Leave, buy or claim for windscreen? - Bromptonaut

Thank-you both for the replies.

Good to know it wont affect my NCD or increase the next years premium.

Not sure there's a one size fits all answer as to whether NCD/premium are affected by a windscreen claim. Maybe, just maybe, it's determined by terms of your individual policy. These may vary.

OTOH it cost just over Euro500 for screen on our Berlingo last year. Stone chip acquired on outskirts of Evreux expanded into massive crack after operating washer on hot screen a week later in the Jura. Cost at local Citroen dealer offering Pare Brise sans Rendevouz. Alternative was a difficult drive to Carglass in Annecy.

£100 excess was clear. Whether NCD or gross premium, both being rebuilt after 100% fault accident in 2015 was anotheer question.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec auto. - Leave, buy or claim for windscreen? - John F

Unless it really bugs you I'd ignore it, especially if it is an electrically heated screen which, apart from the hassle, might cost you more than a standard one to replace. 15yr old Foci are not usually worth spending cosmetic money on .

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec auto. - Leave, buy or claim for windscreen? - skidpan

It really needs replacing. With the stresses of normal driving cracks normally get bigger especially if you hit a pothole and on modern cars the screen is an integral part of the cars structure.

If you are fully comp you will only have to pay the glass excess so why delay and risk an MOT failure next time. You never know but the glass company may well be able to repair it and then its normally only a tenner to pay. But since the OP has tried a DIY repair that may well be a non starter.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec auto. - Leave, buy or claim for windscreen? - NARU

A windscreen will NOT affect your NCD, and does NOT need to be informed at renewal or if changing companies as a claim.

That may previously have been the case, but beware. Many companies now ask about claims including windscreens. I know that I was. With rain sensors, active cruise control and AEB a windscreen replacement can now be a lot more expensive than it used to.

I understand that they are now recorded on CUE.

From www.directline.com/car-cover/repairing-or-replacin...n

"It’s worth mentioning you’ve made a windscreen claim when an insurer asks if you’ve used your insurance, because technically you have.

How they then use that information depends entirely on individual insurers. Some will take a year off your no claim discount if you’ve made a windscreen claim, some might increase your next premium. Others won’t be in the slightest bit interested."

Thanks for the replies.

To answer some points made,

I looked on my insurance document and there is only a £60 windscreen excess if an approved repairer is used.

"Bonus protection: Protected- (allows 2 claims in 3 years)."

It does not have an electrically heated windscreen.

I do not think it is repariable as I had a go with a resin kit and it did not fill the cracks in at all and has probably blocked any opening the repairer would need.

Not sure why my attempt did not work because there was a smaller chip that I repaired successfully previously.

Edited by bluenun on 12/06/2018 at 16:48

"Bonus protection: Protected- (allows 2 claims in 3 years)."

Windscreens are not included in that, they are not counted as a claim. 2 claims in 3 years is for accident damage.

I do not think it is repariable as I had a go with a resin kit and it did not fill the cracks in at all and has probably blocked any opening the repairer would need.

Not sure why my attempt did not work because there was a smaller chip that I repaired successfully previously.

The system used by the repair companies uses a pump to ensure the resin is forced into the crack and it is then cured by ultraviolet light. I bet 100% your DIY system did neither of those.

That may previously have been the case, but beware. Many companies now ask about claims including windscreens. I know that I was. With rain sensors, active cruise control and AEB a windscreen replacement can now be a lot more expensive than it used to.

I understand that they are now recorded on CUE.

Its been like that for years. When we changed insurers a few years ago they knew about a repair we had done which at the time was free. If you have access to your policy details on-line it will show any such "claims". When the wife was rear ended last August we notified the insurance but since the 3rd party paid for the repairs direct there was no claim. Details are still noted on the policy.