Help pick an SUV, auto, petrol Max £16K - A.N.Other
Any suggestions on an SUV to buy please? Must be high seating (so SUV think), petrol only (conditions are always town driving so don't want diesel, DPF issue etc), automatic. Under 16K and ideally year 17 on so have some manufacturers warranty.

Also like the look of Android Auto/Apple CarPlay for phone connection with a nice large touchscreen. Not too bothered on inbuilt sat nav as can use the phones sat nav as only used sparely anyway. Like toys inside, but happy to add afterwards (rear camera, parking sensors etc)

Thinking of things like Mokka X, 3008, 2008, Vitara, Grandland X, Kuga etc

Also what's best way to buy? Outright, cash, bank loan, car finance, PCP? Heard on PCP that you can't add anything to the car, like parking sensors or camera or any own things would want if handing back.

Any cars to avoid? I'll buy from a recognised garage for some peace of mind.
Thanks
Help pick an SUV, auto, petrol Max £16K - Avant

A newish Suzuki Vitara S with the 1.4 turbo engine is where I'd start looking if I were you. Or a Skoda Yeti - these are very popular with people who own them.

Help pick an SUV, auto, petrol Max £16K - Ethan Edwards

A newish Suzuki Vitara S with the 1.4 turbo engine is where I'd start looking if I were you. Or a Skoda Yeti - these are very popular with people who own them.

Indeed I have a Vitara S and it's doing great so far. Though for the OP's budget I think he may find more for sale by looking at the more affordable 1.6 non turbo petrol version.

As to the 'dull' looks... I like them personally.

Help pick an SUV, auto, petrol Max £16K - SLO76
Wouldn’t touch the Vauxhall Crossland, Peugeot 2008 or 3008 if you must have an auto. They all use the same PSA engines and transmission and don’t have a great reputation for longterm reliability, though so far the 1.2 petrol motor seems ok it is early days and the firm has poor form here in the last decade. I’d also leave any Ford fitted with their notorious Powershift automated manual gearbox as they’ve a terrible reputation for failure.

The Vitara is a good car but its dull styling will no doubt cause heavy depreciation in a market which is very style conscious. Should be utterly reliable and pain free to own however.

I’d look at the Mazda CX-3 2.0 Skyactiv in SE spec or Sport if you like your toys. Preferably a main dealer approved used example if you can stretch to one as they have the best stock. It’s a nicer thing to drive than any of your shortlist and should again be utterly pain free to own.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180504621...5

Stretch the budget a bit and a Honda HR-V 1.5 CVT is an option. Utterly reliable, will hold its value well and offers good economy and complete hassle free ownership. Not exactly exciting to drive but it’ll be comfortable.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180308436...5

Edited by SLO76 on 05/06/2018 at 02:22

Help pick an SUV, auto, petrol Max £16K - Hugh Watt
Wouldn’t touch the Vauxhall Crossland, Peugeot 2008 or 3008 if you must have an auto. They all use the same PSA engines and transmission and don’t have a great reputation for longterm reliability, though so far the 1.2 petrol motor seems ok it is early days and the firm has poor form here in the last decade.

I note that HJ has just answered a query about 3-cylinder engines' reliability, stating that "PSA's 1.2 Puretech has been exceptionally reliable." In this instance I hope you're being unnecessarily cautious, SLO, as I have a 308SW 1.2 130 on order!

Edited by Slow Eddie on 05/06/2018 at 18:15

Help pick an SUV, auto, petrol Max £16K - daveyjp
Left field option.

Subaru XV. You'll get a 2016 with plenty of warranty you will probably never need and all the goodies you want.

Edited by daveyjp on 05/06/2018 at 19:22

Help pick an SUV, auto, petrol Max £16K - SLO76
“I note that HJ has just answered a query about 3-cylinder engines' reliability, stating that "PSA's 1.2 Puretech has been exceptionally reliable." In this instance I hope you're being unnecessarily cautious, SLO, as I have a 308SW 1.2 130 on order!”

To date they are proving reliable but it is too soon to say if it’ll stand up longterm as most have done only low to medium mileages. It takes years for fundamental reliability issues like those on the 1.6 HDi and older VTi petrol motors to show up. That said it is a sweet spinning little engine with a nice sound off it. I doubt it’ll be worry if you’ve bought new... at least for the first three years. It’s more the automated manual gearbox some of these come with that concerns me anyway.
Help pick an SUV, auto, petrol Max £16K - badbusdriver

I believe the Peugeot's mentioned by the OP, certain from 2017>, would have the eat6 lightweight torque converter auto as opposed to the old egc automated manual. So, in theory, should be fine. I'm guessing the Grandland X will be the same.