What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda civic - Honda civic 1.5 or 1.8, which one to choose? - nathanjame

Honda civic 1.5 or 1.8, which one to choose ? Please advice experts im new here on honestjohn. I have been reading blogs and visiting forum from many years but its my first time im posting for experts suggestions.

Honda civic - Honda civic 1.5 or 1.8, which one to choose? - Oli rag
Hi, are you meaning the latest shape civic with the 1.5 turbo engine, compared to the previous generation car with the 1.8 vtec ?
Honda civic - Honda civic 1.5 or 1.8, which one to choose? - SLO76
If you’re trying to compare the new 1.5 turbo with the old 1.8 VTEC then there’s a massive price difference and the performance of the turbo is a different ballpark. The 1.0 turbo is closer to the old 1.8 in performance terms according to the stats but I’ve yet to drive one.
Honda civic - Honda civic 1.5 or 1.8, which one to choose? - Avant

"The 1.0 turbo is closer to the old 1.8 in performance terms according to the stats but I’ve yet to drive one."

A friend has a new 1.0 Civic, replacing a 1.8, and he says the new one is quicker off the mark.

Honda civic - Honda civic 1.5 or 1.8, which one to choose? - bazza

Yes, the 1.0 T will feel quicker and easier, more useable performance. The 1.8, which I have is however, a delightful smooth, flexible thing, but does need some old-fashioned revving to tap into its performance. It is very economical on the other hand, averaging 46 to 50 mpg in my ownership. To the OP, you.re going to have to drive them both, to see what you prefer. The 1.5 T will be much quicker than either of course.

Honda civic - Honda civic 1.5 or 1.8, which one to choose? - sandy56

WHy dont you try both and then buy the one you prefer?

Honda civic - Honda civic 1.5 or 1.8, which one to choose? - bathtub tom

Don't you love it when someone states the obvious.

Honda civic - Honda civic 1.5 or 1.8, which one to choose? - skidpan

Don't you love it when someone states the obvious.

I know its obvious, you know its obvious, but if it was that obvious to the OP they surely would have gone and tried them both before asking on a forum. Its what we do, I prefer to decide for myself instead of letting faceless and nameless posters decide what I should be spending my hard earned pesion on.

Many on here say what a wonderful car the Mazda 2 litre petrol is, well if I had simply believed that and bought one I would be the most unhappy chap on the road. But by trying alternatives I bought the best car for me instead of a car that others are happy with.

Take the time to go and try before buying. Its no good simply looking at other peoples opinions on a screen.

But with that in mid may I suggest that the OP adds the Seat Leon 1.4 TSi to their wish list. On paper not as powerful as the 1.8 Civic but having driven both its way faster in real life and rides much better and is brilliant on fuel. Not driven a 1.5T, should be good in theory but those looks put me off personally.

Honda civic - Honda civic 1.5 or 1.8, which one to choose? - badbusdriver

That is a fair enough point about trying each car, assuming it's practical to do so. However i'm not convinced the OP's question is what everyone is assuming, that of a new 1.5t vs an old shape 1.8 (as they are not really competitors). I'm wondering if it is simply a typing error and what the OP is actually thinking of is a previous shape 1.4 vs a previous shape 1.8. It's a moot point though as the OP, as is often the case, has provided little details and not bothered to return and clarify anything.