What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - First Car - MOT History Advice - Unsure - Steven Higgins

Hi Guys,

I'm considering purchasing a Honda Jazz off a private seller on Gumtree for a grand sum of £1000. I know it's not much but it's all I've got.

It's got a great MOT history with only one considerable fail for the brake pipe corroding. This is just my opinion, the other fails were for windscreen wipers, lights, etc.

The car has about 100,000 miles on the clock and there seems to be no problems with it.

I know it's probably impossible to tell just from looking at a car if it will be ok but personally I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE.

I've heard it's a bad idea to buy off a private seller so was also considering doing a pre-inspection check. Any thoughts on this would be very welcome too!

Here are the details of the car:

www.gumtree.com/p/honda/honda-jazz-se/1298851790

Thank you!

Edited by Steven Higgins on 17/05/2018 at 14:44

Honda Jazz - First Car - MOT History Advice - Unsure - gordonbennet
I've heard it's a bad idea to buy off a private seller so was also considering doing a pre-inspection check.

That bit is the best part, saving probably £500/800 on what a small dealer would mark it up, but is it being sold by the owner because someone's been painting the tyre sidewalls with shiny tat, which says trader to me, so if you go to look at it make sure the V5 is genuine and shows the address where the car is being sold from...and i do mean where the seller has access to the house and isn't just lurking about outside any convenient house where the occupants on holiday....this appeared to be the case with one of the usual suspects selling a Civic we looked at a few weeks ago, ''Grandad's'' house, how convenient.

Have a look at HJ reviews above for likely problems, i understand the gearbox can have issues so a proper test drive is called for involving plenty of gearchanges and listen to and feel each gear both under power and on overrun.

Looks like the start of rust on both rear wheelarches, so i'd be having a poke nose underneath, Scottish sale so its seen tons of salt in its life, the MOT history has nothing i would be unduly concerned about, but do check for rust carefully.

Very wise if i may say so buying within your budget and not borrowing, pray carry on the good sense SH.

Honda Jazz - First Car - MOT History Advice - Unsure - catsdad
Hi Steven. Rusty brake pipes are common and not a major concern in themselves. They are also a soft target for a tester looking for work. However the pictures show what looks like rust on the rear arches and you would need to check that out in case its serious.If its spent its life on the Scottish coast then rust may well be an issue.

Have you looked at HJ used review for the Mk1 Jazz? They are not immune to problems. But what old car isn't?

An official inspection would list lots in a car of this age and its a big % outlay. Have you got a knowledgeable friend to go with you?

Are you sure its a private seller? Tyre black and general buffing suggests to me it may be a trader. Not necessarily an issue if they are open about it but it maybe they have picked it up n the trade and are tryng to move it on without giving buyers any protection.

It is quite cheap and just be wary of its being cheap for a reason.
Honda Jazz - First Car - MOT History Advice - Unsure - catsdad
Great minds, must have been typing in sync!
Honda Jazz - First Car - MOT History Advice - Unsure - gordonbennet
Great minds, must have been typing in sync!

Dunno about a great mind in my case (losing it if anything), but s'funny how we both have the same thoughts.

Honda Jazz - First Car - MOT History Advice - Unsure - NARU

It could be a good little car. The 'magic' rear seats are wonderful - ours held nearly as much clobber as my big 4x4.

Make sure the gearbox bearings haven't gone (the reason we sold ours!). You're listening for a whirring noise when pulling away in first gear - ours didn't do it other gears. Its very obvious if its happening.

As said, a couple of things to check - how long has the seller owned the car/is it registered to him/at the address you're viewing it at? It does rather look as if its been tarted up for sale. That might just be because its been to the car wash, or it might be a dodgy trader.

And check out the wheel arches. I don't remember any rust in ours. I'd be tempted to unscrew the liners and see what's really going on there. And have a look underneath - what other rust is waiting to come through.

But at the end of the day, its £1000 - and if it provides a couple of years of motoring it could be worth every penny. I'd be tempted to put it though a new MOT, even if I had to pay, before buying though.

Edited by Marlot on 17/05/2018 at 15:57

Honda Jazz - First Car - MOT History Advice - Unsure - Andrew-T

I've heard it's a bad idea to buy off a private seller ...

Buying cars of this value can be a bad idea from almost anyone, especially back-street 'traders' or those who have one or two to sell somewhere near their front door. In fact if you choose your private seller carefully you may be able to find out much more about the car than you would from anyone else. The downside is that you have no comeback unless the car proves to be unroadworthy, but even then you would not want to spend any hard-earned trying to get recompense.

So ask the seller any serious questions, and if you only get evasive answers it may be best to look elsewhere. A genuine private seller is not trying to make a profit and a living from selling cars.

Honda Jazz - First Car - MOT History Advice - Unsure - SLO76
Good little cars in general. Only weaknesses are clutches, thrust bearings and gearbox bearings. Firstly ask how long the current owner has had it (more than 3yrs is what you’re looking for) less than 2yrs I’d walk. On driving it listen for gearbox noises, it’ll be quite obvious and make sure the clutch isn’t worn or slipping.
Honda Jazz - First Car - MOT History Advice - Unsure - argybargy

Apart from the obvious cosmetic issues it looks a good little car for the money. 99k in ten years isn't extraordinay, but as others have said there are a few weaknesses on these cars that need checking.

As mentioned above, do the basic stuff to make sure the seller isn't a fly-by-night, and if he passes muster then its not a great deal of money to spend on what's basically a good car.

Honda Jazz - First Car - MOT History Advice - Unsure - sammy1

Looks tidy for 10 years, I don,t think the wheel arches are anyhting to worry about. I would be concerned about the towbar and how much it had been used. Check the clutch is OK If the car is genuine the owner would be able to confirm its history and how long he has owned it and if he towed with it. There are a lot of cars in this age bracket,are the tyres OK, offer £700 and go from there!

Honda Jazz - First Car - MOT History Advice - Unsure - madf

Ensure the rear disks are not rusty and the handbrake works...lack of maintenance means they often don't work well on hills

Rust near rear suspension mounting points.