What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Tiguan 1.4 s BlueMotion - Advice re: Faulty Injector - Wear and Tear? - Graham F

Morning all, I’d appreciate your thoughts on the predicament I find myself in concerning my 2010 1.4 Petrol twincharged VW Tiguan that I bought 2 years ago and has completed 59000 documented miles. It has developed a misfire which, by swopping over coil packs and leads, has been proved to cylinder 4 and my local technician (ex VW) says its most probably a faulty injector and advised me to try an injector cleaning additive first because a replacement would be expensive. Now after the dealer’s years warranty expired I was cold called by a young lady who sold me another (£28 a month). The warranty has the usual non-payment of wear and tear clause and indeed I’ve not bothered them when replacing front struts and brakes but I’m wondering if I have a case concerning the injector because I’m thinking that if it’s normal wear and tear then surely all the injectors would fail at the same time. I’m asking for your thoughts on this because the warranty company will want me to go through their garage and if they refuse to pay then I’m left with a hefty bill whereas I could use my local technician who will be much cheaper.

Regards, Graham

VW Tiguan 1.4 s BlueMotion - Advice re: Faulty Injector - Wear and Tear? - skidpan

Why not read the small print or if that is not possible ring them.

You have just realised why after market warranties are a waste of money.

VW Tiguan 1.4 s BlueMotion - Advice re: Faulty Injector - Wear and Tear? - madf

t has developed a misfire which, by swopping over coil packs and leads, has been proved to cylinder 4 and my local technician (ex VW) says its most probably a faulty injector and advised me to try an injector cleaning additive first because a replacement would be expensive"

Swapping coil packs and leads would make NO difference if it was an injector. If it does, it's a coil pack or lead at fault.

Edited by madf on 17/04/2018 at 13:54

VW Tiguan 1.4 s BlueMotion - Advice re: Faulty Injector - Wear and Tear? - medview

Hi

Have you tried running super unleaded fuel? It claims to have cleaning properties and it certainly makes my 1.4tsi run better (even the Tesco 100 octane).

Is the misfire constant and to the extent that cylinder 4 is not contributing to engine output?

Is the misfire constant between cold and hot running? Is it constant thru the load and rev range?

My gut feeling is that your new warrantee will escape liability; still claiming wear and tare...

Joe

VW Tiguan 1.4 s BlueMotion - Advice re: Faulty Injector - Wear and Tear? - KJP 123

Swapping coil packs and leads would make NO difference if it was an injector. If it does, it's a coil pack or lead at fault.

Wasn’t that the point? By doing it he has eliminated that as a cause and identified the likely problem.

Contact warranty company and if they will pay use warranty then cancel. If not use your mechanic and cancel warranty. Advice is subject to any cancellation penalties.

VW Tiguan 1.4 s BlueMotion - Advice re: Faulty Injector - Wear and Tear? - skidpan

Lets not forget we are discussing the dual charged engine here. The OP's must be one of the few that have survived to 8 years old. It probably has more wrong with it than simply plugs, injectors and leads. Suggest a proper diagnostic is carried out to check compressions etc since bore wash is known to kill these engines.

VW Tiguan 1.4 s BlueMotion - Advice re: Faulty Injector - Wear and Tear? - Graham F

Thank you to all who have offered up their thoughts on my predicament. After Emailing the warranty company I received a phone call from them informing me that, actually, they only cover the injector pump so I'm not covered. Needless to say may cancellation of contract letter to them is in the post. Thanks again everyone, this truly is a wonderful resource of information.

Regards,

Graham

As an addendum to my story I should say that after taking the car to have the inlet valves cleaned I was informed that in fact they all require changing. This I had done at a cost of £2000 but on driving the car home I discovered the misfire was still there. Taking it back to the garage they found that, indeed, injector no 4 was coked up - due to the bad condition of the valves. A new injector has been ordered and I should get the car back tomorrow, free from misfires.