dvla reporting older drivers - KCSRenault

Hello,

I was just wondering, if anyone has ever had any experience of reporting an older driver to the dvla,

I have an elderly neighbout who is very dangerous behind the wheel. Usual story had the same car for twenty odd years, does not want to give up. But has major eye site problems, cannot hear and has heart problems. She has a certain type of eye problem, which means she cannot see in her central field of vision. Its an accident waiting to happen. Drives the car into the garage and stops when she hits the back wall. Reverses out and hits almost every car on the street. Drives in first gear and has many many clutches. Every year at the mot it gets hundreds of pounds worth of body work done. due to scrapes etc.

Nobody wants to report her and her one surviving family member, is just as bad, and he wont listen to any of us, about trying to persuade her to stop.

Is this the best thing to do to report her?

Any ideas or experience would be greatly appreciated.

I am not want to cause a stir, just answers and if posted in wrong place, sorry.

dvla reporting older drivers - John Boy
Any ideas or experience would be greatly appreciated.

This previous topic might give you some pointers::

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=110935

dvla reporting older drivers - badbusdriver

It is a thorny issue alright!.

My Dad had a stroke about 18 months ago and it left him with 'gaps' in his field of view. He was sensible and responsible enough to decide himself that he shouldn't be driving any more, but I do wonder how we'd have dealt with it had he insisted on driving. He has also said himself that if the same were to happen to his older brother, he would definitely have, at least tried to, carry on driving.

Of course another aspect is what, if anything would happen should you report your neighbour to the relevant authority. I'm not going to go into detail, but a few years ago I contacted the police regarding a functioning alcoholic driving to work still well over the legal limit. Nothing happened, she hasn't been stopped (though fortunately, as far as I am aware, has not caused or been involved in any accidents). We no longer live in the area, but after the wrestling I had with my conscience before deciding to do something about her, it botheres me a lot that she is probably still driving to work after drinking 10-15 cans of lager the night before.

dvla reporting older drivers - nellyjak

Totally understand your comments and feelings...I'd feel just the same, but what a poisoned chalice it is.!

I guess you are dealing with people's rights and freedoms here and it's so easy to feel that you are judge, jury, prosecutor and policeman...even with the very best of intentions.

I witnessed, on more than one occasion, an elderly and rather frail lady's attempts at parking between parked cars outsidewhere I worked (not where I lived thank goodness)..she would invariably bump the car in front AND behind to shoe-horn her ageing and battle damaged Fiesta into the available space.

I did finally approach her and told her that she had hit both cars in her attempt to park (as usual)...she simply responded by saying "No, I didn't"...I immediately realised that further discussion was pointless.

She eventually didn't appear anymore so I reckoned or hoped that she'd given up driving..in one way or another.!

Not sure what I'd do in your situation...apart from keeping out off her way..lol..but I agree she's dangerous and an accident waiting to happen.

dvla reporting older drivers - badbusdriver

As a child growing up in the Shetland Island's, i remember 2 cases, both, weirdly, involving teachers at the junior/high School i went to. The 1st was an elderly primary School teacher knocked down and broke the leg of a young boy, she hadn't seen him at all. Obviously this could have been much worse, but she did then give up driving. The 2nd was a secondary School teacher who only went to the Doctor and got diagnosed with some degenerative eye condition after driving his car off the road into a deep ditch.

dvla reporting older drivers - John F

These links might help

www.gov.uk/government/publications/incident-and-ac...m

www.contactthedvla.co.uk/guides/anonymously-report.../

Am I missing something here? That page has examples of reports, at least one of which has a name attached and a specific request to remain anonymous.

dvla reporting older drivers - ExA35Owner

Am I missing something here? That page has examples of reports, at least one of which has a name attached and a specific request to remain anonymous.

That's not a DVLA site. If it were it would be .gov.uk not .co.uk. A Whois search reveals:

Domain name: contactthedvla.co.uk

Registrant: D Smith

Registrant type: UK Individual

Registrant's address: The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Edited by ExA35Owner on 27/03/2018 at 12:20

Thanks for that, ExA35. It's easy to see how it has caught out so many people - if you do a Google search of "Report bad driving", it appears at the top of the results.

dvla reporting older drivers - oldroverboy.

When I did report a friend, (www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=110935

See thread above) He was eventually given back his licence, but i flatly refuse to be in the car with him.

His GP filled in a form for DVLA, and took no notice of what his family said.

No driving assessment was made.

Will they wait till someone is Killed? Because I will surely go to court and state that no driving assessment was made as said above.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 27/03/2018 at 12:35

dvla reporting older drivers - colinh

The Spanish perspective:

www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/30323/excessive-self...r

"No maximum age applies for getting behind the wheel in Spain, given that it is perfectly possible for a motorist in his or her 80s to be in excellent driving health whilst a person 20 years younger may already be afflicted with loss of faculties creating a hazard on the roads...Also, the DGT points out that in terms of speeding, alcohol and drugs, motorists aged 65 and over are the safest."

dvla reporting older drivers - nick62

My late father also had vision issues following a stroke in his mid seventies. Subsequently his GP told him if he "felt OK about driving again" then he had no problems in allowing him to drive. My brother went with him on his first journey............... and realised he was a liability and told him so. He sold his car the following week and never drove again.

dvla reporting older drivers - Bilboman

Regarding the Spanish perspective... at least here in Spain there is a compulsory test of sorts every ten years (every five years after the age of 50), involving eyesight, hearing, hand-eye coordination and reflexes. The licence states whether the driver has to wear corrective spectacles, too.) Given the compulsory carrying of ID documents and, for drivers, the actual licence, it is a simple matter for the police to stop and check things (no "reasonable suspicion" needed!) and if necessary ground both driver and car.

Not sure I agree with the DGT advice for older drivers to switch to automatics; too many adjustments to make and a lot of ingrained muscle memory; you might as well advise drivers to retire to a country where they drive on the other side. As HJ repeatedly points out to no avail, dozens of pedestrians are killed every year in "wrong pedal" accidents. Left foot braking obviously works for some people but not everyone. I think it's something that should have been established right from the start - if the motor car were being invented from scratch today, it would be a hybrid automatic of some kind and with two pedals, separated with a physical barrier in the footwell - left for brake and right for accelerate and end of story.

Edited by Bilboman on 27/03/2018 at 15:50

dvla reporting older drivers - oldroverboy.

I can testify to the effect that "denouncing" someone to DVlA has on a friendship, but if a GP is "daft enough" to sign a form it is hard to get it re-assessed. Person can claim that it is malicious.

dvla reporting older drivers - focussed

"Left foot braking obviously works for some people but not everyone. I think it's something that should have been established right from the start"

As an ex-instructor I will keep banging away at this subject.

Just because you think you can drive a manual safely you think an auto is just as easy?

Wrong - driving an auto gearbox car needs a different technique that can be taught in a couple of hours - it should be part of the manual driving test if a manual licence qualifies the holder to drive an auto. At least an auto instructor could sign off a manual test candidate as having done a 2 hour stint safely in an auto car.

Some hopes?

dvla reporting older drivers - Alan

I imagine if the driver in question keeps having lots of knocks there will be lots of insurance claims and a big hike in the premium. If it continues they may become un-insurable.

dvla reporting older drivers - John F

I can testify to the effect that "denouncing" someone to DVlA has on a friendship, but if a GP is "daft enough" to sign a form it is hard to get it re-assessed. ......

If they get one, GPs are obliged to complete a factual questionnaire from the DVLA. Otherwise, their responsibilites re fitness to drive are as per this link....

www.gov.uk/guidance/assessing-fitness-to-drive-a-g...s

If someone has health problems and is advised not to travel by their doctor, their travel insurance will probably refuse to pay if they ignore the advice (noted in the medical record) and then incur huge medical bills while abroad. I suspect the same might apply to motor insurance if their doctor has advised them not to drive.

dvla reporting older drivers - SteVee

now, there's a good reason to see a private GP ...