What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Bumper misaligned - D.Spyer

Hello,

I have a 2007 ford Fiesta and have noticed that I have a misaligned rear bumper. When I push the bumper back up the gap goes but doesn't stay in place. Does anyone know if this sort of gap is repairable or if its worth doing the repair?

Photos are linked : photos.app.goo.gl/QsoA41BrAJ5aia142

Ford Fiesta - Bumper misaligned - RobJP

Looks like a retaining clip or bracket has been bent or damaged at some point in the past.

It can be repaired - anything can. It would probably need the bumper removing, working out what is broken, and replacing that part. Then refitting the bumper.

As to whether it's worth repairing or not, only you and your budget can determine that.

Ford Fiesta - Bumper misaligned - D.Spyer

Hi RobJP,

Thanks for your reply, It's much appriciated. I've spoken to some others and decided to leave it alone as it seems alot of work for a small panel gap.

Edited by D.Spyer on 21/03/2018 at 14:08

Ford Fiesta - Bumper misaligned - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

The Fiesta bumper is very easy to remove and refit. If I can do it, anyone can.

There's just 4 screws holding the arch liner on each side, and two of those secure the front bumper. Having peeled back the arch liner, look up and there's three screws each side, close together, screwed up into plastic bungs in each wing. Just loosening and re-tightening those should realign the bumper.

Ford Fiesta - Bumper misaligned - galileo

The Fiesta bumper is very easy to remove and refit. If I can do it, anyone can.

There's just 4 screws holding the arch liner on each side, and two of those secure the front bumper. Having peeled back the arch liner, look up and there's three screws each side, close together, screwed up into plastic bungs in each wing. Just loosening and re-tightening those should realign the bumper.

The OP's problem is with the rear bumper, is that held the same way?

Ford Fiesta - Bumper misaligned - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

OOps! Well, actually, yes. My back bumper got knocked by someone who parked too close, so I had to have that one off, too. The nearside fixing clip on mine is broken, so it was showing a gap, like the OP's, but I've used a panel clip or spire nut, do you call them? -- Just looked 'em up on e-Bay and they're called 'speed fastener U nuts or spire nuts'.

Again, you need to take the clips off the arch liner and pull it away from the bumper on each side. It's easier to get at the screw on each side with the wheels off.

The back bumper is also held with two 'top-hat' pop-rivets. (Pop-rivets with a plastic coating to prevent water getting in). The black plastic heads can be seen with the hatch raised. These need to be drilled out to remove the bumper, and new rivets can be got off e-Bay.

However, just to fit the bumper back straight on one side, jack that side up, remove the wheel, feel for the clips holding the arch liner and flick them off, peel back the liner and feel for the screw holding the bumper to the wing. It's a strong possibility that the plastic lug has been broken off (like mine), so then look for something like a spire-nut or panel-clip to effect a repair.

Edited by MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom on 23/03/2018 at 15:48