What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Seat Ateca, Peugeot 3008, Ford Kuga. - Diesel v petrol - guygamps

Today I looked at the above 3 cars, setting out to never buy another diesel, I found that in some cases, there is still a huge amount of diesel stock either on way from factory or in forecourts, and far less choice if you don't want diesel, slowing demand and plenty of supply means there are deals to be done on those diesels. The Ateca i test drove in 190bhp 2.0 DSG form was really very good. Is buying a 2018 model diesel such a bad thing? Will it be an unsellable anchor in a few years time, are they now clean as we are lead to believe? What's the view.

Seat Ateca, Peugeot 3008, Ford Kuga. - Diesel v petrol - Manatee

I decided a year ago to ignore the flap and buy what suited my purpose - I wanted a reliable TC auto 4WD, looked at BMW and found I still don't like them, and bought a Mitsubishi Outlander diesel. The choice of petrols was poor.

I'd be more averse to the DSG on the Ateca than the diesel engine.

I don't expect city bans on Euro 6 diesels anytime soon and if it happens it won't affect me much. I tend to keep cars a good while (the last one was 6 years) so I'm not too worried about value.

What's wrong with the DSG then? The one I drove was very nice and responsive, and it's been around long enough for teething problems to be ironed out.

Seat Ateca, Peugeot 3008, Ford Kuga. - Diesel v petrol - RobJP

What's wrong with the DSG then? The one I drove was very nice and responsive, and it's been around long enough for teething problems to be ironed out.

You'd think so, wouldn't you. But VAG seem to have an incredible knack of making really shoddy engineering down to the lowest possible price, and then neglecting maintenance (mainly due to the fleet market, because it's cheaper).

Maybe they've finally designed and built a DSG gearbox that's reliable, and put in a realistic maintenance regime for it.

But I certainly wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.

Seat Ateca, Peugeot 3008, Ford Kuga. - Diesel v petrol - SLO76

Only time will tell if they’ve finally ironed out all the issues but VAG’s DSG box has a terrible reputation for failure beyond 5-6yrs of age. Fine if you’re only keeping it till the end of the warranty term but a big worry if you intend on longer term ownership or plan on buying used. Even the Japanese have given up on these complex and trouble prone automated manual boxes. Both Honda and Toyota tried and have reverted back to CVT’s and torque converter set ups instead. Ford took a pasting, particularly in the US over theirs (Powershift) with class actions costing them millions in claims and costs to date. They are also now admitting defeat and moving to a similar lightweight torque converter autobox to Mazda’s.
Seat Ateca, Peugeot 3008, Ford Kuga. - Diesel v petrol - Avant

Not sure if you're buying new or used, Guygamps. If new, there shouldn't be much difference in waiting time between petrol and diesel: I've got an Audi Q2 2.0 petrol on order and the waiting time seems reasonable but if I'd gone for the 1.4 TFSI I could have had one within days as there are plenty in dealers' stocks. The same may well apply to the Ateca, and I'd recommend you try one (or the smaller Arona) with the 1,4 or 1.5 petrol engine.

The other car I looked at seriously was the BMW 2-series Active Tourer, which I seem to remember from your last thread you also had in mind. For reasons known only to BMW GB, they won't let dealers have the 225xe for demonstration unless they are big dealers with a lot of fleet sales. But the 220i was impressive.

If you're going for used, then yes, there will be more diesels as until the scares started in the press, the type of car you're looking at sold mainly in diesel versions. I have one now, a Volvo V60 which was almost impossible to get with a petrol engine. One of the reasons it's going is that there could be even more adverse publicity driving residual values down, because Arthur Punter doesn't understand that Euro-6-compliant engines like mine are much less polluting than the older engines.

I wouldn't myself go near the Peugeot: Peugeot and Citroen have succumbed to the touchscreen fad and you can't even adjust heating and aircon without taking your eyes off the road to prod a whole lot of sub-menus. Personally I think that's dangerous.

Hello and thank you all, good points from each of you

Some further thoughts.

Probably change the car in 3 years or so.
Found (at Ford wrt to the Cougar) that when I specced up what I was wanting and they look at new ones already built and coming in (i.e. fairly short lead times), there was only one petrrol but a lot of choice in diesel. Seat (wrt to the Ateca) had more petrols around,

But those who know me know I tend to buy top flight with loads of extras and tend to buy used (less than 1 year old), meaning you get all the toys and creature comforts for about the price of a basic one (new). and you don't suffer the depreciation.

Following that thought for the moment, I could get a fully loaded Ateca 2.0 TDI DSG with all the trimmings (4000 miles on it) for about the same price as a brand new 1st reg to me 1.4 Tsi mid range petrol (manual)