What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi 80 - Audi 80 Master Cylinder Seal Grommet - JimmyK

Hello all.

Wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction as I am struggling to find the right reservoir to cylinder seals for my 1.8S. Nothing is seemingly stamped on my master cylinder and Bigg Red list several sizes for my year. Girling is the make of the booster so could be girling. The old grommets I have for reference but I am not certain which diameter to measure as they narrow near the base bur have a larger centre diameter.

Car is an 88 1.8 S with NE engine code. None of the larger factors list them, a few places have suggested I need 22.2mm but the bore seems a bit smaller to me (approx. 19mm it looks like?) Will it say on my reservoir?

Thanks chaps, already ordered the wrong ones once..

Audi 80 - Audi 80 Master Cylinder Seal Grommet - hardway

1st off they're seals not in any way gromets

cuts down the confusion.

And have you tried Audi?

Many manufacturers sell master seal repair kits,

They'll match it to your VIN.

If not then your going to have to strip the master and measure the internal bore.

And I've seen these with a larger diameter outer and smaller inner size.

the bore size determines the "seal" size.

Hi.

Thank you for that, yeah I am going to call Audi today.
Several UK motor factors list them as grommets, hence why I adopted that terminology. I wasn’t sure if seals referred to the internal seals as I didn’t want any confusion in my post. :-)

I’ll let you know if I have any luck!
Audi 80 - Audi 80 Master Cylinder Seal Grommet - elekie&a/c doctor

Is this of any help? www.realoem.me/Audi/RDW/A80/1988/71/R/6/611/61000

That does indeed help. There seems to be ones for the ATE 12/22 and the 11/24 Girling ones. I am going to assume it is Girling due to the booster stating so. (though there is literally nothing on the master cylinder)

The ones ending 17A certainly look right but there seems to only be one pair on eBay. The other set visually at least do not look quite right but GSF lists my car as needing the 22.2mm master cylinder which these seemigly fit. I guess it's going to be a case of ordering both and returning whatever I don't need.

If it doesn't cure the leak I'll be absolutely gutted now..

Actually further to that it seems the Girling one requires 2 seperate types, as it states quantity needed one and if you google the B it is completely different. That leaves me to assume I need the ATE ones as the two I have removed are identical. This would mean my booster is Girling but the master cylinder (which is fairly recent) is not.

Humph.

Audi 80 - Audi 80 Master Cylinder Seal Grommet - hardway

Well it wouldn't be the first time I had to hone out an internal bore for a master cyl.

And unless it scored deeply actually "seeing" down into the b***** can be difficult.