What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium on 58 plate - 5W-20 engine oil - colt48

Does anyone know whether 5W-20 engine oil will be ok in a 10 year old Fiesta 1.4 with 60k on the clock? I know that Ford state that the 5W-20 rating is required for Ecoboost engines.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium on 58 plate - 5W-20 engine oil - elekie&a/c doctor

This engine is not an ecoboost model.Stick with the recommended 5w-30 oil.

Hmm - well a non franchised garage has already put 4 litres in during a recent service

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium on 58 plate - 5W-20 engine oil - elekie&a/c doctor

In reality,probably not going to make a lot of difference. But I would suggest you check the oil dipstick level more frequently.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium on 58 plate - 5W-20 engine oil - Galaxy

I had exactly the same issue myself with my local Ford Main Dealer a few years ago.

After getting my car back after a full service I noticed that, on the receipt, they had put 5W-20 oil into the engine. Throughout the handbook it religiously states that 5W-30 should be used and absolutely nothing else. Car is Ford Mondeo Mark 3 2.0 Petrol, by the way.

Of course, I took this issue up with the dealership. Their service manager assured me that Ford had now changed the oil specification for my vehicle and that 5W-20 oil was perfectly suitable for it! I have to say that I wasn't convinced but I let it go at the time.

I left the 5W-20 oil in the sump until the next service, when my trusted local independent garage put the recommended 5W-30 in.

I did notice, while my car was running on the 5W-20 oil, that some of it was being used up; I had to top the oil up by a small amount a couple of times before the next oil change was due. I hadn't found it necessary to have to do this previously, nor since.

My bet is that the Ford Main Dealer no longer kept 5W-30 oil because I believe all the modern Ford engines use 5W-20. They obviously purchase their oil in substantial quantities, probably thousands of litres at a time, and I don't suppose that they consider it's worth their while to purchase an alternative oil as well which they probably wouldn't use a great deal of.

Needless to say I never went back to my local Ford Main Dealer and my car had always had the recommended 5W-30 oil in it's engine ever since.

Edited by Galaxy on 01/02/2018 at 20:29

Thanks for your responses. As you can read, our Fiesta was not serviced by Ford but by an independent garage, so you would have thought that they would have had 5W-30 oil on the premises? It's my son's car so will tell him to check the oil level regularly.