Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - argybargy

Hi All

Just wondered whether anyone had experience of retro fitting reverse parking sensors. The B Max had them, and to be honest they did come in useful. This version of the Jazz doesn't, and I reckon we might benefit from fitting them, IF it can be done with a minimum of disruption to the car's paintwork.

I've had a look on Fleabay and they're not that expensive, though I don't know whether that's the best source to focus on.

Any advice welcome, even if its only "don't bother."

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - daveyjp
Better to have a proper job done, rather than DIY.

Local dealer may help as these items are often fitted after delivery and they use a local company.
Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - elekie&a/c doctor

When you say you want minimum disruption of the paintwork,all parking sensors will need to be cut into the bumper.All good kits come with the correct hole cutter. I have these fitted to both my cars.Not the cheapest but work fine. Btw,the bumper on a Jazz is really just a plastic cover.It has very little strength.www.steel-mate.co.uk/acatalog/Parking_Sensors.html

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - Engineer Andy

Is it that your Jazz didn't come with the sensors or that it can't accept the ones that the local Honda dealer could fit for, say, £300? At least if you get them done at the dealership, any warranty given is worth more to you if you bought or also get the car serviced there (so they do a good job).

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - badbusdriver

The daihatsu sirion we had ('08-'11) came with parking sensors, but it was just a number plate mounting panel with 2 built in sensors either side. I'm sure many would turn their noses up at this type, but it did the job and worked fine. I'd be happy enough to use a system like that in your position, and bear in mind, as you would use the existing number plate mounting screws (or just double sided tape), it could very easily be removed should you wish to 'upgrade' to a more sophisticated system in future.

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - KB.

First thing.... there would be absolutely no suggestion from me that you need not bother.

My personal view is that they're a real bonus. I now wouldn't own a car without them - and that includes the tiny Hyundai i10 and the Jazz that went before. The Yeti had them built in from new.

Several reasons ... it only needs one low and tucked a way short post or a protruding rock from a stone bank down a country lane that appears from nowhere when you have to reverse out of someone's way on a dark, wet night. There are numerous little situations that could cost you a dink up the rear and which would cost as much , if not more, than a set of sensors.

Plus the fact that the older you get the harder it is for your neck to swivel like it did when you were 18.

If any car I bought didn't have them I would, again, do what I've done before and that is to pay an auto electrician to fit them for around £200. I used a mobile fella who did it outside my door. Money well spent. And if you can fit them yourself and not upset the 'canbus' system, then so much the better. Can't recommend a DIY make... mine were made by Cobra but that, in itself doesn't mean a lot - except to say they've never given a scrap of trouble over something like 11 or 12 years if you combine the Jazz plus the i10.

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - gordonbennet

I second the Steelmate recommendation, not cheap but spare parts available eg individual sensors, so over time they work out no more expensive and they do work well.

Thanks for the customarily high standard of advice.

The B Max was the first and only car I've owned that featured parking sensors. Prior to that, I'll admit that I used to inwardly scoff at the idea that I might need help to park my car. However, there was one particular occasion just a few weeks back when dropping someone off at a church in a darkened car park, where I very nearly did drive straight over a grave, and was only alerted to its presence by the parking sensors picking up the high kerb around the plot.

The consensus appears to be that DIY fitting isn't worth the risk, so get it fitted professionally I shall, once a few other financial commitments are out of the way.

I'm particularly keen to get it done for Mrs A's sake, because come Hell or high water she IS going to drive this car. I know she'll get great benefit from having sensors, given neck and back problems that compromise the ability to look over her shoulder (which is why I get away with so much).

I've saved the Steelmate link, not least because the prices look reasonable and it appears to be good gear,knowledgeably recommended.

I won't trouble the dealers with the task, not least because the next time I hope see them will be in about forty years time at the Pearly Gates, where I'll be asking for my admin fee and 150 quid back.

Thanks all again.

Edited by argybargy on 30/01/2018 at 19:12

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - Galaxy

I've just repaired the rear parking system on my own car.

I didn't fit the system originally, it was already installed when I purchased the car. It was manufactured by a company called X Vision and the problem was found to be a broken cable, which I replaced.

Can't believe the low prices these rear parking sensor kits sell for on Ebay (No, not X Vision ones!). I was looking to purchase such a system until I found that my existing system had such an easily repaired fault.

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - badbusdriver

I've just repaired the rear parking system on my own car.

I didn't fit the system originally, it was already installed when I purchased the car. It was manufactured by a company called X Vision and the problem was found to be a broken cable, which I replaced.

Can't believe the low prices these rear parking sensor kits sell for on Ebay (No, not X Vision ones!). I was looking to purchase such a system until I found that my existing system had such an easily repaired fault.

I should probably do that myself as the caddy van I bought last month has rear parking sensors fitted, but they don't work. Seeing as it is an ex British gas van, I'd have to assume that the system will be of a pretty decent quality.

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - Metropolis.

Not sure if newer cars are this simple, but on older cars like mine (Disco 2), you can just buy a second hand rear bumper with the factory parking sensors. Land Rover were 'generous' enough to include all the sockets/wiring looms for every available option (and there were ALOT!) even on base spec vehicles. Plug and play!

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - Smileyman

IMO there is no doubt these sensors are an aid to safer parking ... just an aid but well worth the investment. Mrs S has had them as a dealer fit extra on her Mazda 2 from new, when reversing they generate an intermittant beep sound as the car gets nearer objects and give a continous sound when the distance has reduced.They are fitted into the bumper, colour coded to match the paintwork.

I've got front and rear sensors on my new Toledo and a display comes up indicating distance to objects with the same sounds too. Unfortunately, they also activate when other vehicles get close, so make sure your installation is linked to selection of reverse.

There is a better solution though ... a reversing camera. The camera is acivated when in reverse gear and gives a visual display of what is behind, no sounds but it is possible to get very close and not hit the object eg bollards. There are options for the display, the best is to link in with the sat nav display console. I had a factory installed camera on my previous car for 12 years and miss it very much, considering an aftermarket fit for the Toledo if I can get a sensible price.

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - madf

I fitted them to our Yaris about 10 years ago. Still working.. and very useful.

Made by Meta - fit in number plate surround. Not fiddly, easy to fit.Highly recommended.

"This patented mounting system usually requires no bodywork drilling, making it simple and inexpensive to fit. See into those blind spots and avoid parking bumps and accidents. A discreet in-car speaker emits an audible tone which increases in intensity until a constant tone sounds when the obstacle is 30cm away."

tinyurl.com/yckqqznq

Edited by madf on 31/01/2018 at 07:46

I fitted them to our Yaris about 10 years ago. Still working.. and very useful.

Made by Meta - fit in number plate surround. Not fiddly, easy to fit.Highly recommended.

"This patented mounting system usually requires no bodywork drilling, making it simple and inexpensive to fit. See into those blind spots and avoid parking bumps and accidents. A discreet in-car speaker emits an audible tone which increases in intensity until a constant tone sounds when the obstacle is 30cm away."

tinyurl.com/yckqqznq

I like the idea of installing behind the number plate. Sounds like the perfect solution.

I'm OK generally with DIY both on houses and cars, though when things don't go my way I do tend to get a little hot under the collar, and red in the face. I reckon professional installation is probably the way to go for me in this case, though if it were a cheaper and older car I'd almost certainly give it a shot myself (then probably call in a mobile paintwork repairer to deal with the consequences).

Many thanks to all contributors.

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - NARU

I had a set of Valeo sensors fitted to my mx-5 back in 2011. Still working perfectly.

More recently, my wife had some of these www.fittedparkingsensors.co.uk/ fitted to her Yaris in 2013. Also still working perfectly.

In both cases the installer did it on the drive. He spent time measuring to get them exactly right - I'd rather pay someone to do it on a brand new car than do it myself!

I had a set of Valeo sensors fitted to my mx-5 back in 2011. Still working perfectly.

More recently, my wife had some of these www.fittedparkingsensors.co.uk/ fitted to her Yaris in 2013. Also still working perfectly.

In both cases the installer did it on the drive. He spent time measuring to get them exactly right - I'd rather pay someone to do it on a brand new car than do it myself!

Price wise that seems very reasonable, and thanks.

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - catsdad

I see a camera has been suggested too. I've had both a camera and sensors and would opt for sensors every time. Good quality cameras are great when they are clean but in winter or on a wet windy night they can smear up and are useless. Obviously the amount of dirt picked up varies by car and installation but you wouldn't know without forking out whether the camera suits or not.

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - Stumblebum

I have sensors in my car. My wife has a camera in hers.

Same issue - camera not good when smeared. Also you need to look at a screen when reversing so reduces your situational awareness. I prefer looking in my mirrors and listening.

However I've had two Hondas with factory fit sensors and they both generate false alarms, eg when reversing on gravel.

But on balance I would choose sensors.

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - Smileyman

I note negative comments about cameras ... the camera on the Nissan Primera I drove never let me down 188k miles, 13 years ... image was always good. However, I do note that Skoda have introduced a camera wash for some of their cars, so perhaps I was lucky with the Primera?

I have sensors in my car. My wife has a camera in hers.

Same issue - camera not good when smeared. Also you need to look at a screen when reversing so reduces your situational awareness. I prefer looking in my mirrors and listening.

However I've had two Hondas with factory fit sensors and they both generate false alarms, eg when reversing on gravel.

But on balance I would choose sensors.

Yes, I think that when we eventually get round to it we'll be going "camera free" for those very reasons, as well as because "sensors only" is the set up we'd become used to, and we found that it was perfectly adequate.

With so much already going on around you, the last thing you need is a screen to watch as well.

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - NARU

I see a camera has been suggested too. I've had both a camera and sensors and would opt for sensors every time....

WHen we bought the Yaris, it was the only car in the household without sensors. But it did come with a camera as standard which we both assumed would be fine.

It didn't take long before we added the sensors! I tend not to use the camera.

I see a camera has been suggested too. I've had both a camera and sensors and would opt for sensors every time....

WHen we bought the Yaris, it was the only car in the household without sensors. But it did come with a camera as standard which we both assumed would be fine.

It didn't take long before we added the sensors! I tend not to use the camera.

Thanks again for that feedback re "camera versus/ plus sensors", and to others who have contributed further also. Lots to think about there.

Any - Retro fitting reverse parking sensors - Brit_in_Germany

I agree with sensors being safer than a camera - nearly reversed into another car the other night because I was concentrating on the camera display rather than the sensors. It was dark, raining and the side of a black car was behind me, so nothing to see on my screen. Luckily stopped in time.