What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Seat Leon V Arona - Seat Leon Estate or Arona SUV ? - offshore

Hi,

Has anybody considered buying either the Seat Leon estate version or the new Seat Arona SUV? They seem to be a similar price (with discount) for the base model of each range.

I would be interested to hear anybodys advice or thoughts on this.

I suppose SUV's are the trendy thing a the moment, but not sure if it represents the most sensible purchase for me ?

Nb. I have never been accused of being trendy!

Thanks for any help.

Edited by offshore on 26/01/2018 at 12:36

Seat Leon V Arona - Seat Leon Estate or Arona SUV ? - RT

Forget trendy, buy whichever suits you best - the Arona will have a higher seating position, liked by many but not all - and the Leon will probably have better fuel consumption.

Seat Leon V Arona - Seat Leon Estate or Arona SUV ? - badbusdriver

Bear in mind that the arona is the smaller of the 2 new seat SUV's, the ateca is closest in size to the leon, the arona is based on the ibiza, so a smaller car. Still plenty of space for 4 adults mind you, but the leon ST would have more width across the rear seat, which could be important if you regularly carry 5. It also has a much bigger boot with 587 litres versus 400. But if you prefer a higher seating position, or if you regularly carry elderly or less mobile passengers, they would almost certainly prefer the arona (getting into the leon would be easy enough, its getting out that may cause problems!).

It really comes down to personal preference. Much as i like the look of the leon ST (i actually think it is better looking than the hatchback), because of my wife's mobility problems, the arona would be more suitable for us. They use pretty much the same oily bits, and i think the arona (and ibiza's) platform is just a smaller version of the one used in the leon (plus about 100 other VAG products!).

Seat Leon V Arona - Seat Leon Estate or Arona SUV ? - SLO76
SUV’s are the in thing and tend to hold their value much better, this is especially true in this case. However there’s always a price to pay with handling, ride, performance and economy almost always hampered by the extra ride height.

We lease a Honda CRV and the Civic Tourer was actually dearer at the time thanks to the CRV’s superior residuals but it’s a dull thing to drive. It’ll be replaced by a hatch or Estate in September. It all depends on your own preferences. I rather like the Leon ST 1.4 TSi FR. It’s a good drive, good on fuel and a desirable model for resale but the Arona is a new design and bound to hold its money well.
Seat Leon V Arona - Seat Leon Estate or Arona SUV ? - veloceman
I am on my Third latest generation Leon FR.
The last being a face lift.
I think the handling, ride, performance from the 150tsi to be brilliant.
Mpg regularly in the 50s.
Only minor downside is the road roar from the 18” wheels but still not excessive.
No experience of the ST however;
My Partner has just taken delivery of a Arona FR with the 115bhp engine.
I like it a lot. You sit higher than the Leon and the interior space feels more impressive. Can’t speak fir the boot though. MPG around 46 at the mo but only 800 miles on the clock
Rides much better than the Leon and engine note seems more subdued though a little more wind noise from the mirrors. We chose the FR as the dash trim looked a bit brighter and better quality and parking sensors. Would be interesting to try a 150tsi.
The Leon certainly handles better and is more fun to drive but ultimately stepping down from the Arona I felt a bit let down in the Leon
Two different types of car you take your choice if you require the extra boot space the ST may be what you need.
Coincidentally I read a test in What car this afternoon.
They summed up by saying ‘Just get a Leon’
My view is the opposite. If you can get a 150 tsi then I would say ‘Why get a Leon?’
Because the Arona is cheaper too.
Seat Leon V Arona - Seat Leon Estate or Arona SUV ? - badbusdriver

I was also reading what car about the arona today, but it was a '1st drive', in the December issue. This was how they summed it up,

"we reckon the arona is quite possibly now the best sub-£20k small SUV on the market. But if you are going to spend more than that, which is easily possible, there are several bigger, classier options that deserve your attention, above all, Seat's very own ateca"

And they scored it 4 out of 5 stars.

But as i said earlier, the arona and leon are not directly comparable size wise, the arona is based on the ibiza floorpan. If you want a direct SUV equivalent to the leon, that would be the ateca.

I agree, they are not.
But when you sat in both, the Arona feels more spacious.
Boot is a good size with split floor but not sure as bid as ST.
Seat Leon V Arona - Seat Leon Estate or Arona SUV ? - Mr Carrot Cake

I've just got a new Lean estate for work. I like it. It's a diesel, it has 17 inch wheels and to be honest I'd have been happy with 16 inch to make the ride a bit more cushioned.

Also mine has a 5 speed gearbox which I found surprising. On the motorway there's a bit of engine drone, I reckon they could do with a tad more soundproofing, I guess a six speed gearbox would drop the revs a bit and make it a bit quieter.

Handling is good. Feedback through the steering wheel isnt amazing but that's common with most VAG cars.

I was mistaken, it was the Top Gear New Cars magazine I read, Not What Car.
Should have know better!