What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Engine undershields - argybargy

A minor point, perhaps. Engine undershields.Why don't all cars have them?

Makes tremendous sense when you consider the hostile environment in which a car operates, and the amount of crud and debris that tends to be thrown up from the road surface, sometimes at a rate of knots, onto an area featuring fragile components.

My Ford doesn't have one, the Hondas I've been to see recently DO have them.

Why are they not universal? Or is it that most cars DO have them, but they tend not to be replaced after the first main dealer service?

What prompted my question was the recent problem with my car, when the aircon connection parted company from its housing on the cooling fan. The connector itself is literally inches off the road and would be SO easily damaged by something flying up and hitting it.

Any - Engine undershields - thunderbird

The only reason they are fitted is to smooth the airlow around the components that normally stick out into the airflow. Probably helps the MPG a little.

They almost garantee you an advisory on the MOT since the inspector cannot remove them to inspect certain components.

Any - Engine undershields - gordonbennet

Those plastic things that fall off regularly are a waste of time for protection, they keep the water and salt out but are easily damaged and you see many dragging on the road, particularly Golfs.

I have a full set (2xengine and 1xgearbox plates) waiting in my garage for the weather to break to be bolted up under my old Landcruiser, the single OE plate is a disappointingly poor effort with a cut out for the sump, previous LC models had proper bash plates.

Bought the new ones recently due to the current free postage offer, which runs out today but so far that offer has been renewed several times, probably due to fewer sales in the depths of winter.

Bought from here www.sump-guard.co.uk/steel-engine-sump-guard

made in Romania, rather well as it happens, better made than i thought they would be for the price and my set were delivered undamaged (company previously criticised for poor packaging which is now improved) one week after ordering, the LC bash plates might be thicker than those designed for cars for obvious reasons, the sump guard has a bolted in inner plate for easy oil changes as i believe most of their designs have.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/01/2018 at 10:51

Any - Engine undershields - RT

The only reason they are fitted is to smooth the airlow around the components that normally stick out into the airflow. Probably helps the MPG a little.

They almost garantee you an advisory on the MOT since the inspector cannot remove them to inspect certain components.

Underbody airflow is a major drag factor on any car, so the less it is the better,

Airflow smoothing is certainly the main reason for fitting, with cooling airflow control secondary.

My cars have had undershields for decades - never had a MoT advisory because of it - the relevant suspension components are all outside it.

Any - Engine undershields - SLO76
Most car shop do have them. It aids airflow and helps stop muck and debris entering the engine bay. The clips holding them in place do tend to break when they’re removed for any repairs or maintenance so often they’re held on with cable ties or removed altogether on cars 3yrs upwards. Main dealer maintained cars will be properly refitted. Not the end of the world but it will allow water and muck access to electrical components and corrosion on engine bay pipework will increase plus there will be an increase in under body lift at speed. I’d rather have it than not.
Any - Engine undershields - SLO76
“Most car shop do have them”

Most cars do have them. Too late to edit it.

Improving airflow is a function of these things that I hadn't considered. Makes sense of course.

I've no idea whether my car originally had an undershield , but I've just had a look online and even if I keep the car I won't be spending the kind of money some suppliers are asking. The Focus had one and it was very easy both to remove and refit.

I've often noticed stuff dragging around underneath VWs but didn't realise it was their undershields; presuming instead that it was part of the exhaust.

Any - Engine undershields - RT

20 years ago, my Vauxhalls had undershields - little more than cardboard so no strength against grounding nor resistance to water of oil - but I guess it helped the airflow.

Any - Engine undershields - madf

Our 2012 Jazz and 2003 Yaris both have undershields. With properly designed attachments which so far have not failed despite annual removal. Engines are pretty dirt free as a result..Removal/replacement is easy..Both made of durable plastic.. Flaps for oil/filter access.

Any - Engine undershields - John F

They are a pain when they don't allow a dropped screwdriver (while clumsily servicing my Audi A8's air filters) to fall through to the ground. Virtually no access for retrieval even though I could just see it. I had to resort to a cork impaled on a straightened-out coat hanger and a blob of rapid Araldite. Hope this tip helpful for someone!

Any - Engine undershields - focussed

They are a pain when they don't allow a dropped screwdriver (while clumsily servicing my Audi A8's air filters) to fall through to the ground. Virtually no access for retrieval even though I could just see it. I had to resort to a cork impaled on a straightened-out coat hanger and a blob of rapid Araldite. Hope this tip helpful for someone!

An easier solution would be a magnetic pick-up tool!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bergen-Long-Pick-Up-Telescopic-...m

Any - Engine undershields - John F

An easier solution would be a magnetic pick-up tool!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bergen-Long-Pick-Up-Telescopic-...m

True - but only if you have one!

Any - Engine undershields - Andrew-T
Most car shop do have them. The clips holding them in place do tend to break when they’re removed for any repairs or maintenance so often they’re held on with cable ties or removed altogether on cars 3yrs upwards.

My 1999 Pug 306 diesel had a good solid sump guard which I had to remove and replace when draining the sump for an oil change. As you say, the attachments failed or rusted after a few years and I had to fudge some replacements.

Any - Engine undershields - oldroverboy.
Most car shop do have them. The clips holding them in place do tend to break when they’re removed for any repairs or maintenance so often they’re held on with cable ties or removed altogether on cars 3yrs upwards.

My 1999 Pug 306 diesel had a good solid sump guard which I had to remove and replace when draining the sump for an oil change. As you say, the attachments failed or rusted after a few years and I had to fudge some replacements.

Trefin is lesson number 1. Don't. Bother going to the main dealer for new clips. Just bodge it.....

Any - Engine undershields - Big John

My 2014 Superb II seems to have undersields covering most of the length of the underside of the car

Any - Engine undershields - madf
It increases service time and costs due to removal and refit.

Not if there access flaps. Which all I have used have..

Any - Engine undershields - galileo

I had a DAF 55 in the 1970s, that had an undershield secured by about 20 hex head screws; as you had to remove it every few months to adjust the drivebelt tension I eventually stopped refitting the thing.

Any - Engine undershields - galileo

I had a DAF 55 in the 1970s, that had an undershield secured by about 20 hex head screws; as you had to remove it every few months to adjust the drivebelt tension I eventually stopped refitting the thing.

Any - Engine undershields - expat

In 1971 I fitted a sump guard to my Mini Moke before going up to the Pilbara (NW Australia). We did over a thousand miles on very rough dirt roads and it saved me many times. In 1976 I got a MkII Austin 1800 which came with a sump guard as standard. Those of you who are familiar with 1800s will be aware that the alloy sump is very low and vulnerable. I got my hydrolastic suspension pumped up high and with that and the sump guard was able to cover big mileages on outback dirt roads with no worries. If you are going over rough country and rutted roads then a sump guard is a must.

Any - Engine undershields - Andrew-T

Those of you who are familiar with 1800s will be aware that the alloy sump is very low and vulnerable.

Just the same as the Maxi. I got to know those cars quite well during the 1970s. At the time we owned an ex-farmhouse in wild Wales, and driving away from it one weekend I heard a heavy knock from the engine and saw a trail of oil in the rear-view mirror, causing me to stop with alacrity. One of the bars from a 5-bar gate had been hidden in long grass - you can guess the rest.

Any - Engine undershields - braniff7

The other reason for them, on diesels, is noise attenuation. Much of the inner surface is covered by foam pads/cells.

Petrol Saab 9-5s have a front, full width one, and an offside one below the belt/auxillaries side of the engine. The subframe has mountings for a near side equivalent and I'm not the only owner who thought it was missing when I first looked underneath.

Any - Engine undershields - Getaway

I think they are often aerodynamic. I lost one off a C5 years ago and the dealer wanted several hundred for a new one so I didn't bother - without it at high speed the bonnet lifted a quivered in the wind. I'm looking at fitting one to a recently purchased Jaguar XJ and the workshop manual actually describes it as an "air deflector"...