Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - argybargy

Sorry if any of this is repeated in earlier posts, but a decision has actually been made this time.

We've decided to look for a Honda Jazz to replace our B Max. Nothing particularly wrong with the car at this moment in time, but the problems with this model are too well documented to bother with repeating here.

So...the Jazz. I'm aware that I should avoid the I-shift, and we'll probably go for an auto for no other reason than I've got used to driving one. I'd like the 98bhp version, and nothing older than a 12 plate with less than 35k miles if possible. Colour not particularly important. ;0)

Just wondering what, if anything else I should look for where sourcing the car.

How do Jazz owners find the seats for comfort?

The indy garage owner who sold us the B Max has said he is willing to source a Jazz and take mine in part ex, but before I do that, I want to be absolutely sure that he knows what we want. Evans Halshaw's valuation robot said our car is worth just over five grand to them when I put it through their "value your car" thingy (subject to, blah blah), but the indy said he would beat that price, though I didn't pin him down to a number.

Any relevant info welcome, and yes, I WILL take advice this time.

Thanks in advance

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - oldroverboy.

kia venga 1.6 auto.

fabulously comfy but poor mpg (depending on your usage)

7 year warranty or balance thereof..

rock solid. handles well (suspension tuned by lotus)

Edited by oldroverboy. on 21/12/2017 at 19:12

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - SLO76
I don’t rate the Mk II Jazz at all. They’re generally very reliable but the CVT auto requires fluid changes every 2yrs and many owners skip this thinking it’s unnecessary with gearbox issues on neglected cars fairly commonplace. Buy with a full Honda history (if you must have the auto) and call to verify that any fluid changes have been done. Cars with non-franchise service histories almost never have had this done.

I don’t like the way the Mk II drives. It’s dull, numb and totally joyless to pilot, I don’t know how Honda got the handling, ride and steering all so wrong but it isn’t close to rivals in this regard. Not that this is of any importance to 95% of potential Jazz buyers but take a good test drive before committing to see if you can live with it. A Fiesta, Swift or Mazda 2 would run circles round it and all three can be just as reliable if you pick the right engine. The Mk III however is a much better beast, loads of room and actually drives very well even if the performance is flat from the rather wheezy engine, again not much of an issue for most owners.
Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - Big John

After asking advice from this site when looking for a small car for my sister that also can carry a double bass - multiple answers suggested the Honda Jazz. This was over a year ago and she got a Nice 2011 1.4 ES with parking sensors and folding mirrors. Great little car although it does rev a bit at motorway speeds (I supposed I'm used to a Superb tsi that has low revs on the motorway). It is also using about half the fuel of her previous Mondeo Estate.

She loves the car and finds it extremely comfortable even though she is very tall ( well she is the sister of bigjohn) and regularly drives between Bristol and East yorkshire. The interiour space has been amazing - great at carrying four large adults in comfort (this is with a 6ft driver!) or lots of stuff (those magic seats are - er magic!.). Even with the seats up the boot is a good size.

She is very fussy about seats as has suffered with bad backs before -no probelms with these setas though.

It has also been faultless.

Things to check - rear wheelarches are prone to trapping mud - check for and rust etc . My sisters was perfect but I know someone who had a 2005 version that had rust caused by trapped mud.

Edited by Big John on 21/12/2017 at 20:53

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - scot22

ORB I agree with your Venga suggestion. I have been told however the acceleration is lacking go. How do you find it ?

Thanks again all.

In two minds again now after your comments about the Mk 2, SLO. One thing I can't lay at the door of the B Max is poor handling, and I think it might well matter to me if I end up trading it in and piloting a slug. BigJohn, your comments have restored my faith in the brand in terms of comfort and space, but I really don't want something with flat performance and if it does require transmission fluid every two years that strikes me as a fair commitment to make, especially given that I've been told Honda prices are not on the cheap side.

I doubt whether at this point in time I could afford the jump from Mk2 to Mk3, so it would have to be the earlier model.

Oddly enough, ORB, I came across an advert for a Venga earlier on and it did cross my mind to check it out. I didn't at the time and whilst I did have a look on Autowhatsit after reading your post, there don't appear to be that many around within more than easy driving distance of here.

Still lots to think about.

Edited by argybargy on 21/12/2017 at 21:43

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - Big John

Oddly enough, ORB, I came across an advert for a Venga earlier on and it did cross my mind to check it out. I didn't at the time and whilst I did have a look on Autowhatsit after reading your post, there don't appear to be that many around within more than easy driving distance of here.

NB The Hyundai IX20 is almost identical to a Venga

Another consideration is the other car that was suggested to my sister - a Nissan Note. This is cheaper than a Jazz and the 1.6 auto (up to 63 plate) has a fantastic auto box with a reliabe tourque converter with lock up and overdrive. A friend of mine had three of these over a period of many years and rated them and still found them reasonably economical (40's mpg on a run) . Lots of space, however make sure you get on with the seat

Edited by Big John on 21/12/2017 at 21:59

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - gordonbennet

Be interesting to see what Madf has to say on this subject, he runs one of these cars and rates it, he's also very hands on re servicing requirements because he expects cars to last a long time.

2 yearly gearbox oil changes wouldn't worry me unduly, i'm quite sure a competent indy could handle that for you no bother, at the same time he could service and lube the brakes properly which isn't apparently in the makers schedule, presumably an extra charge if you want it doing, and i'd be reluctant to entrust the mian dealer even if paying extra because it's not something they do normally, maybe that's unfair but it's how i would feel if it were mine.

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - daveyK_UK

THe JAzz has the reliability, the space, the versatility and on thing that is often over looked fantastic fuel economy.

Both the 1.2 and 1.4 petrols will hit over 50mpg with a gentle left foot

Thanks once more.

I did have a 1.6 Note auto for a few days recently. It was a courtesy car from the garage where I bought the B Max when it was at the dealer for the clutch change. Plenty of power, but it was a 59 plate which had clearly been on his premises for a while, used as a runabout and understandably had become a tad scruffy and rough.

I'm encouraged by the other comments about the Jazz, but I do wonder just how much those 2 yearly gearbox oil changes would cost. I'm now wondering whether to look again at manuals and hope 'er indoors can cope with my gear changes in another car.

The really important thing is a comfortable front passenger seat. If I don't get that right, I might as well car share with Fred Flintstone.

The Venga looks interesting. How does it compare size wise with the likes of the Jazz and B Max? I haven't seen one in the metal, but it looks a bit smaller.

Thanks once more.

I did have a 1.6 Note auto for a few days recently. It was a courtesy car from the garage where I bought the B Max when it was at the dealer for the clutch change. Plenty of power, but it was a 59 plate which had clearly been on his premises for a while, used as a runabout and understandably had become a tad scruffy and rough.

I'm encouraged by the other comments about the Jazz, but I do wonder just how much those 2 yearly gearbox oil changes would cost. I'm now wondering whether to look again at manuals and hope 'er indoors can cope with my gear changes in another car.

The really important thing is a comfortable front passenger seat. If I don't get that right, I might as well car share with Fred Flintstone.

The Venga looks interesting. How does it compare size wise with the likes of the Jazz and B Max? I haven't seen one in the metal, but it looks a bit smaller.

Bit like a tardis, 5 adults and dog in boot.

Do the rear seats fold flat, ORB? Another good thing about the B Max: rear seats fold flat, as does the front passenger seat.

Every autumn various trees and hedges in our garden dump several dozen bagsworth of leaves, and so far I've always managed to transport them to the local recycling centre in the car. Plus its handy for transporting timber, etc.

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - madf

We have a 2012 Jazz Auto (CVT), Bought with 500 miles and one owner.

Nothing gone wrong in 30K miles.

GOOD:

Comfortable seats, rear seats fold flat.magic seats make folding easy,great turning circle,parking easy (ours has rear sensors). Quiet, easy to drive. Michelin tyres have 6mm tread left. 43mpg urban use 90%.

Prior owner paid for 5 years Honda servicing so just started DIY - easy..

Seats/carpets easy to clean and tough.. no signs wear.

Carries all sorts of things easily.. 3 rear passengers comfortable.

BAD

CVT OK but at 70mph going up long inclines gets confused - floppy paddles allow you to override.

Ride crashy over potholes.. on surfaces with muliple small ridges about 5m apart , a strange oscillation - solution slow down (v rare).

If you want a no hassle drive for mainly town trips.. great.. Not ideal lots of motorway dirving.

EX models have 16" wheels .. tyres expensive.

No space saver just gunk.. Lots of spare wheels/full size wheels for sale - fit in boot.

Many first owners paid £500 for 5 years servicing .. check if any has - usually price of car is unaffected,,(Honda servcing post then is £250/£350...))

PM if want to talk..

Edited by madf on 22/12/2017 at 09:58

Do the rear seats fold flat, ORB? Another good thing about the B Max: rear seats fold flat, as does the front passenger seat.

not completely but i clear our shared parking area with the neighbours and get a lot in, it also has a false boot floor for extra stowage and you can fit a proper spare wheel.

Looks small ourside. roomy inside. I am 6'2" and size 12 feet and can sit comfy behind myself.

I have carried a few 8' fence posts and 1.80m feather edge in it and once 20 bags of postmix in the boot and on the alsmost flat rear seats.

Worth travelling for. check on locally and travel. mine was an ex demo, £5000 and a bit off list, 3 year service pack included. If you buy make sure full KIA service history to get warranty.

i went from colchester to Norwich,,, 60 miles..

Edited by oldroverboy. on 22/12/2017 at 10:41

Thanks again to you both for the extremely helpful information and detail.

Bit rushed at present due to imminent departure for attendance at a Christmas works do, but if I have any marbles left when I return, I'll read again and respond properly. Otherwise it'll be tomorrow.

Cheers.

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - Nomag

My mum replaced her 2003 1.4 petrol Fiesta (owned from new for 12 years) with a nearly-new Jazz in 2015 (bought at 2000miles, 64 plate now on 10k miles).

She got the 1.4 manual. ES model.

There is lots of critism about the ride of the car around, but even on its 16" wheels I find it acceptable. If you're prepared to use the rev range, it goes very nicely, but of course that is now how my 71 year old mother drives it.

Economy is excellent - she gets 50mpg whatever the journey (light right foot) but only managed 40mpg in the previous Fiesta.

What I really like about it is the packaging. I'm 6'2" and with the drivers seat in the correct position for me, can comfortably sit behind myself. The magic seats are fantastic for transporting stuff, and mum has been amazed at how useful they are. She can even put her bike in the back behind her. Also it has a drivers armrest - unusual in a small car.

The only thing that would annoy me if I owned it is that the folding mirrors only work with the ignition on (drive into tight parking space, turn off engine, whoops forgot to fold mirrors)

Thanks Nomag, again that's really interesting and helpful.

A great deal to think about there; not least whether to spend a bit more on a Mk3 and keep it for longer, hopefully thereby benefiting from better handling.

Also very tempted to go and have a look at a Venga. Although, after buying the B Max I soon began to think I was going to struggle to cope with reduced interior space, the car has actually proved very flexible and surprisingly capacious with those seats down.

Its just that gearbox....

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - catsdad

I find Honda servicing price on the Civic pretty reasonable and their official online menu pricing is the same for the Jazz.

After 3 years a minor service is £160 plus £75 for the CVT. I dont know if that £75 is the gearbox but as its the same as the menu price of a gearbox oil change on the manual I suspect it is. Worth checking.

Also some dealers offer free Honda Assistance and/or free MOT if you buy from them and continue to have it serviced there.

I have had a couple of manual Jazz as courtesy cars and I found the refinement and performance on Motorway and fast A roads acceptable for a small-ish car. But I didnt have high expectations given the generally lacklustre reviews on those points. For interior space and reliability its hard to beat.

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - badbusdriver

I thought i would get my tuppence worth in here too!. Although never having driven mk2 jazz, i can't offer any specific info regarding the ride and handling. But looking at owners reviews on autotrader shows that they are very well liked and very reliable. And the honest john review scores it 5 out of 5.

Regarding the cvt fluid change, after a quick search i discovered a comment on a jazz forum from 2014 in which it was stated that honda dealers at the time charged £70 for this. catsdad says £75 now, which sounds about right, and certainly doesn't seem excessive to me.

As far as i am aware the cvt7 transmission in the mk 2 is the same as the one in our mk 3 so i'd imagine it behaves the same. I find the cvt, coupled with the n/a engine, gives the car a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde character. If driven gently, it is very lethargic in its responses, but can also be very spirited and at times. abrupt depending on how much throttle is used. It took me some time to get the hang of exactly how far down you need to press the throttle to get the response you want or expect, but now i have got the jist of it, i am very happy!.

The one thing i am most surprised at is its overtaking ability, which makes a mockery of pretty much everything i'd read about cars with the cvt. Yes, you do have to floor it, but the response is immediate and i have found no difficulty in squirting past other traffic even on relatively short straights. If you accelerate hard from a standing start, the initial acceleration is slightly slower than a manual, i don't think it would spin its wheels on a dry road (unlike our previous car, a hyundai i30 turbo diesel auto), but if you keep your foot down, it will go right to the red line before changing up (in fact i have found myself lifting off slightly to encourage an upshift because i was worried it was going to run into the rev limiter!).

I have not had the opportunity to do a long motorway journey in ours yet, but i suspect this would be one of the few instances where i might be inclined to pop it in sport mode and use the paddles. Like madf says, it can get a little confused on hills at main road speeds, this is most apparent if using cruise control where the merest hint of a hill will have the cvt dropping down 2 or 3 ratio's, which can get irritating. Much as i am a big fan of cruise control, i don't use it that often in the jazz because of this. Through trial and error i have discovered that you can reduce this hunting about for ratios by ever so slightly reducing the pressure on the throttle. It won't stop it completely, nor would i expect it to, but you can make a difference. The upside of this though is that if you are on a flat bit of road, or a slight downhill, it will merrily cruise along using very few revs indeed, around 2000rpm at 70mph.

The ride on our car, an ex on the 16" wheels, is a little firm, but i wouldn't call it uncomfortable or harsh. Yes, it does crash a little on potholes, but very few cars these days don't. I suspect the versions with smaller wheels and taller tyres would be better in this respect if you found it a problem.

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - daveyK_UK

The main downside to the B-max and the Venga is the engine.

both have 1,4 petrol engines (not the same engine) and both are thirsty.

The main complaint on the Venga forum is the fuel economy

The main complaint on the B-Max forum (beside the powershift auto box) with the 1.4 petrol is the lack of power and fuel economy

The main downside to the B-max and the Venga is the engine.

both have 1,4 petrol engines (not the same engine) and both are thirsty.

The main complaint on the Venga forum is the fuel economy

The main complaint on the B-Max forum (beside the powershift auto box) with the 1.4 petrol is the lack of power and fuel economy

While it is true that both are available with a 1.4 petrol, neither can be had as a 1.4 petrol auto, only a 1.6. Which in the case of the b max has 105bhp and around 125bhp for the venga (and ix20).

The venga is a bigger car than the jazz, but it's proportions make it seem smaller, at least from a distance. It is only slightly longer, but appreciably wider and taller. I did look into the venga and ix20 myself when we were looking to change cars last, but was put off by the reportedly awful fuel economy of the auto. But I guess if you don't cover a lot of miles it wouldn't be a major issue.

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - NARU

My wife had a 2005 Jazz 1.4 petrol. The 'magic seats' were amazing - we could fit as much into her car as we could into a medium sized estate. It was especially good for our elderly dog, which could just step into the back.

When it came time to replace it in 2013, she fully expected to buy another Jazz. I persuaded her to try a focus and a Yaris instead.

Much to her surpise, she bought a Yaris. The new Jazz had far too many buttons and complications - very unlike the simple layout of her old Jazz.

The ergonomics of the Yaris worked perfectly, and we managed to get a deal with the integrated satnav. She still misses the magic seats though.

Many thanks for more detailed and helpful responses.

I guess the perfect car for me right now would be a 1.6 non-Ecoboost B Max with either a manual or (with 'er indoors and her aversion to my gear changes in mind) a CVT box. Shame they never bothered with that combination, but we are where we are.

Surprised to hear that the Venga is actually bigger than the Jazz...mind you, I think that in my mind's eye I might be seeing a Picasso where in fact a Jazz should be, and therefore thinking about a bigger car. Ultimately I need to locate a Jazz and give it a good looking over.

Also heartened by the positive remarks about the Mk2, because I'm pretty sure that the Mk3 is going to be beyond our pockets. And no, £75-ish every couple of years to change the transmission fluid doesn't seem too bad at all.

Anyhow, we'll get Christmas and NY out of the way, have a good look at our finances and then attack this thing with a vengeance.

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - Steveieb
The early Jazz s up to 2006 were built in Japan, then uk supplies came from China and then from about 2010 UK production started . But the MK 3 is as I understand built again in Japan.

But is there any difference in build quality based on their country of origin ?
The early Jazz s up to 2006 were built in Japan, then uk supplies came from China and then from about 2010 UK production started . But the MK 3 is as I understand built again in Japan. But is there any difference in build quality based on their country of origin ?

The Mark 3 is made in Mexico and exported to US and Europe.

UK production quality appears to equate to Japanese based on reliability figures.

Revisiting this because I've identified a suitable car, at the right price, and we're going to have a look at it tomorrow. Its about an hour's drive from here.

The car is a 63 plate Honda Jazz 1.4 i VTEC ES Plus 5 door, in silver, with just 10k on the clock and priced at £7k. Its a manual, so the wife and I have had a conversation about whether she'll be back to enduring regular "whiplash" whenever I change gear, but I'm hoping that was just a quirk of our old Focus caused by a bad clutch replacement. There was an audible clunk and a discernable "jerk" each time I changed gear towards the end of our ownership.

Anyhow, although earlier responses were very helpful, I'd be very grateful if someone could give me a shortlist of pointers when checking and test driving the car.

With just 10k on the clock I can't imagine there will be too many issues, but best be prepared just in case.

Thanks again.

Tyre wear - uneven front.

Front electric mirrors. Make sure they work without strange noises.

Spare wheel? Normally none - goo and electric pump.. check they are present and tools in boot.

Wiper baldes at never used/ stage.

Alloys for gouges/parling damage.

Usual other checks... When was it serviced - should be 5 stamps in book,

Try driving over rough roads/speed humps..

Magic seats work.. And manuals present.

Edited by madf on 30/12/2017 at 15:39

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - FiestaOwner

Revisiting this because I've identified a suitable car, at the right price, and we're going to have a look at it tomorrow. Its about an hour's drive from here.

The car is a 63 plate Honda Jazz 1.4 i VTEC ES Plus 5 door, in silver, with just 10k on the clock and priced at £7k. Its a manual, so the wife and I have had a conversation about whether she'll be back to enduring regular "whiplash" whenever I change gear, but I'm hoping that was just a quirk of our old Focus caused by a bad clutch replacement. There was an audible clunk and a discernable "jerk" each time I changed gear towards the end of our ownership.

Anyhow, although earlier responses were very helpful, I'd be very grateful if someone could give me a shortlist of pointers when checking and test driving the car.

With just 10k on the clock I can't imagine there will be too many issues, but best be prepared just in case.

Thanks again.

Hi

4 years old averaging 2500 miles a year. Very low mileage. Possibly only being driven to the shops and back. However, in it's favour, it's not a Turbo engine.

Given the apparent usage pattern. Check for poorly repaired parking damage (Check bumper fit and gaps). Check wheels/ tyres for kerbing. Check the clutch feels ok and not slipping or juddering.

Check the MOT history online before you go, for any issues. The car should have had it's 2nd MOT or it will be due very shortly. If it's from a garage, ensure it's had it's 2nd MOT before you pick it up (if buying).

It would be helpful if you post a link to the advert.

Also make sure its not missed any services!

Edit: Sorry Just noticed madf posted this.

Edited by FiestaOwner on 30/12/2017 at 16:43

Thanks very much to you both.

Checked the MOT history and it shows first time passes in both 2016 and '17, so thats all OK.

As you suggest, the mileage indicates use being limited to daily local shopping trips, but this would be rectified pretty quickly if we bought it because we have a few long journeys to rellies lined up for next year (notwithstanding its virtues or otherwise as a motorway cruiser).

Many thanks for taking the time to share your expertise; I've made a list from your suggestions and will be checking it at least twice.

Will report back after seeing and driving it in the metal!

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171218213...1

Edited by argybargy on 30/12/2017 at 17:03

Not seeing anything concerning in the advert.

Do check that it has both keys.

Think the spare wheel (spacesaver?) has been added by the last owner. Don't see anything fixing the spare wheel to the boot floor. Also the jack is just sitting there. Perhaps the fixing kit is there and no one has figured it out!

Let us know how your test drive goes.

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - KB.

I hope it's the one for you when you get there. Obviously you'll come away if you spot something your unsure or unhappy about ... or, at least, practise your haggling skills.

As others will have said it probably pays to go in looking a tad nonchalent and avoid sounding too keen. Being a miserable old sod myself that's not a problem. But if you spot a flaw or something that's not to your liking I wouldn't be backward in pointing it out as soon as you see it. Maybe even have a scrap of paper and a pencil to hand to jot things down (a clipboard might be OTT but hey ho) .... doesn't matter if the sales fella sees you making notes. Maybe even a few photos of specific items or aspects of the car that catch your eye?

I would, almost certainly, go in expecting not to trust the sales person and asking (sensible) questions to see how much he actually knows about cars generally, and this one in particular, and you may well find you know as much, if not more, than he does. Certainly wouldn't be the first time - and wouldn't be the last either.

I, personally, would go in expecting that they're trying to sell me dud and regard it as my job to find out what's wrong with it... and if it turns out it's not a dud, then so much the better.

Ask who the previous owner(s) was(were) - ask if they'll let you contact the previous owner. Ask to see the V5 as well as the service and MOT papers. Consider an RAC inspection and see what the dealer says when you mention it. Why are they selling it? You might not find out the real reason but you might learn something by the way they answer the question.

Are the tyres to your liking and how much is that particular size if they're not. Some sozes are a lot dearer than others.

Ask about the warranty and how they would deal with an issue if one arose.

I had a Jazz and sold it (to a dealer as it happens- he responded to my private advert and travelled by train to collect it having only had my word for it's condition etc) ... I wish I'd not sold it - it was faultless ... you might be buying a similar car being sold by someone with nothing to hide - I had nothing to hide and, like I say the bloke got a genuine buy.... you might get the same. But if it's doubtful, walk away and get a different one - they're not rare.

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - Simon855

That Jazz is at Arnold Clark, he'll have to try hard to appear more nonchalent than the sales staff to be honest!

I don't expect the sales guy to be up to speed on this Jazz, he's there to shift units, not to tell customers the differences between the ES+ and EX spec cars...

That car has the expensively sized tyres, (185/55/16) you'll be looking at around £100 for a decent Michelin tyre. My wife has a Jazz with these wheels and I'm amazed they fitted such an uncommon size tyre.

My wife's Jazz has the spare tyre, it should be secured by a bolt and a cup washer through the centre hole into the wheel-well floor. The jack should be secured to the aft bulk-head (basically behind the rear bumper) with the tools in the blue bag shown.

My wife's Jazz has been 100% reliable for the 4 years we've had it. It's not that refined at speed but we're struggling to replace it presently...

Cheers again.

The space saver was added by the previous owner, so the salesman told me, at a significant cost. I see what you mean about the tyres, and I might have to forego my usual preference for Michelins, though with the current mileage at just 10k the original tyres should have tread left.

The salesman sent me a personalised video and to be honest, he sounded on the phone like a decent bloke. OK, its his job to get my trust and then (if I prove dumb enough) to take me for a ride, but I'm not SO desperate that I'll buy the car even if it isn't what we want.I've already made one expensive error in the last few months and I certainly have no intention of making another one. However, its exactly the age, spec and price I've been looking for, so a good starting point in a car search at the very least.

The standard warranty is just 60 days, and given the distance from my home to the garage I'd probably be best taking an after market warranty unless they throw in something longer to sweeten the deal. We'll have to see how well I can do "nonchalant"

Have to say I know nothing about Arnold Clark other than what others say about them .... I just edited my reply coz the fact is I don't know for a fact that their service is of a particular standard that might make me think twice about going there. (And if that's still not acceptable then Avant will delete it).

Sixty days warranty sounds, to me, like the sort of thing they would offer you if buying from an Arthur Daley type outfit that traded from under a railway arch. (I did, actually, buy my first car ...[an early fifties Morris Minor for £75]...from such a dealer in 1968 and he really was trading from under a railway arch in the Lea Bridge Road, Leyton - that's East London for those not local to the South East).

I think a 60 day warranty would stop me from even going to look at the thing. To me it shows a virtually total lack of confidence in the thing they're selling.

In fact, I just decided that I don't think it would stop me from going .... IT WOULD stop me from going to view it.

Edited by KB. on 30/12/2017 at 21:04

Well, I was told that this was their "standard" warranty, but agreed, it's a long way from generous.

I will still go and talk to the man and see/drive the car, and if I like it then there's still a conversation to be had about extending the warranty at their cost.

Put it this way: although it would of course be less money for the car in the first place, I could have gone private with no warranty or comeback whatsoever. So given that on the surface at least this LOOKS like the spec and mileage I want, I might as well try to make something out of it.

Thanks for that feedback anyhow.

Have a look at Car Care Plan aftermarket warranty - in Thornbury West Yorkshire. I do know they provide the official extended warranties for loads of manufacturers and I did take out a policy for my Yeti due to concern for the DSG on it. Up to 5 years it covers a lot for a reasonable figure. Over 5 yrs it goes up and covers less and that's when I decided not to renew it. If I recall correctly it's cheaper if the car is 1200cc (possibly 1199cc) or less - the Yeti was just under that.

Edited by KB. on 30/12/2017 at 21:21

Have a look at Car Care Plan aftermarket warranty - in Thornbury West Yorkshire. I do know they provide the official extended warranties for loads of manufacturers and di take a policy for my Yeti due to concern for the DSG on it. Up to 5 years it covers a lot for a reasonable figure. Over 5 yrs it goes up and covers less and that's when I decided not to renew it. I believe it's cheaper if the car is 1200cc or less - the Yeti was just under that.

Cheers, KB. I did have an aftermarket warranty on our Meriva and then our Focus with Motorway Direct, but ditched it after paying 20 quid per month for about seven years and claiming back less than a hundred. Which is how insurance generally works, of course.

But I'll certainly consider aftermarket if we love the car so much that even if they don't budge on extending the warranty we decide to buy it.

I think its reasonable to say (and this may be removed, fair enough) that reviews of that dealership are "mixed".

And reviews, of course only ever tell part of the story, even when genuine.

Just remebered you had to be a member of the CSMA (now re-named Boundless) to get the better rate. In practice almost anyone can qualify for said membership if they think hard enough. Membership is about £25 PA but does give you free "Legal Cover" included on your insurance and if you took out a normal policy it costs about the same to add the Legal Cover so it's effectively free. (provided you did normally elect to have Legal Cover.)

I'm guessing being such a large group, the Arnold Clark warranty is their own?. If it is an RAC warranty, like i got with my caddy van, it can be used at any VAT registered garage. I did wonder about this beforehand as, if it was only usable in the garage i bought the van it would have effectively been useless!.

Looks good though argybargy, the only thing i noticed on the body was a mark on the rear bumper under the tailgate towards the N/S. It does, as Fiesta owner poits out, appear that the space saver is not held in place, but there are 2 bolt holes not visible so it could be attatched through either. The jack i would expect to be attatched with a velcro srap, so i wouldn't worry about that, it is easy enough to rectlify. As for the tyres, i'm not sure what Simon855 means by uncommon size, but a quick look on ebay suggests that ALL the major tyre manufactureres do tyres in that size. I looked up michelin, pirelli, continental, dunlop, goodyear, yokohama and bridgestone, and out of those, the cheapest was continental, a brand which i would be perfectly happy to use, at under £70 (including delivery. Obviously you would need a garage willing to fit them, but in my experience, this shouldn't cost more than about £40 to fit and balance the 4 tyres, and could be as little as £20.

But let us know how you get on!

Will do, BBD, and thanks for your input.

The only research I did for tyres of that size was on Blackcircles and their Michelins were £107 fitted, which was a good £20 more than I paid for 205/55/16s on my Focus. Which led me to believe that yes, there was something unusual about the tyres. Anyhow as you say, there are plenty of good alternatives.

Will report back tomorrow. ;0)

It was myself that mentioned tyre size and price initially ... mainly coz my Yeti has a particular size (225/50/17) and when you look that size up it's available but is more expensive than other configurations of a similar size and/or rolling diameter etc. I have used Oponeo and had them delivered from abroad and fitted independently anf they were fine.

Edited by KB. on 30/12/2017 at 21:32

It was myself that mentioned tyre size and price initially ... mainly coz my Yeti has a particular size (225/50/17) and when you look that size up it's available but is more expensive than other configurations of a similar size and/or rolling diameter etc. I have used Oponeo and had them delivered from abroad and fitted independently anf they were fine.

Thanks for that, KB, and for the info about CSMA.

I'm a public sector pensioner so I think I would qualify for Boundless membership as of right, and I'll look into that further if AC refuse to extend the warranty.

Tyres are of course widely available, it's just the size makes them uncommon and therefore more expensive than they need be, remember the Jazz is a supermini!

For example, the 15 inch tyres fitted to lessor spec Jazz cars are 175/65/15, the Michelins in this size are £37 cheaper, each.... (price is for fitted from Blackcircles, you might be able to save a few bob by getting them posted and subsequently fitted locally).

Regarding warranty worries, like I said our Jazz has had zero faults in the 4 years we've owned it. It'll be 8 years old soon (it was an early Mk2 car) and has had a set of front brake pads, a set of (expensive!) tyres and a set of wiper blades. Other than that it gets serviced once a year and is fed petrol. That's it.

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - expat

"Checked the MOT history and it shows first time passes in both 2016 and '17, so thats all OK.

As you suggest, the mileage indicates use being limited to daily local shopping trips,"

Check that the mileage on the MOTs is correct and tallies with the mileage on the clock. I wouldn't expect Arnold Clark to wind back mileage but a previous owner might have. I wouldn't take anything on trust.

Best of luck with it.

Many thanks once more.

I've made a shopping list, including 12 months MOT, which shouldn't be a problem, a year's tax, (which is just £115 so might be within reach given the price he's quoted for ours) and I am determined to push for a longer warranty. If that's not on the table for either the same money that I've set aside to make the change or not much more. I'm intending to walk away.

Let's hope I don't love the car too much.

Argy, I don't see any mention of the different Honda service regimes. Some are set to use variable servicing and others are on a fixed time/mileage basis. As far as I know this still applies to recent models but I may be out of date.

If its on variable, the advertised car, being low mileage, might have a "full" history that doesnt actually include an annual oil change. Opinions will differ on the forum as to whether thats an issue or not but its worth checking which regime this car is on, what sercices its had, and making your own decision as to whether it meets your needs. Variable servicing can flag up repeated service visits - oil one month, brake fluid the next etc so I guess that most owners opt for fixed.

If its on variable and you prefer fixed it can be disabled by a Honda dealer but its a one way process, it can't then be changed back.

My Honda dealer sometimes gets confused by the service regimes and alpa-numeric codes they use to describe them so its unlikely any non-franchised dealer will be familiar with them. Its worth looking at the Honda site. Its not complicated if you spend 5 minutes online. Few if any salesmen will do so.

Thanks very much, catsdad. I wasn't aware that such a servicing arrangement existed, so I'll be sure to check.

Off shortly to do the dirty deed (or at least explore the possibility of doing it) so may be able to give an update this evening.

Thanks to everyone who has answered my OP for giving me all the ammo I need, and let's hope I use it wisely.

They're great cars, vastly underrated in the UK (the Honda Fit has a decent youth following around the globe...).

Good luck.

TYRES

The model in the ad is an ES.. not an EX.

SO 175/65/15 tyres NOT 16 inch tyres so £70 each tops.

NO sunroof. No parking sensors.

Don't believe everything you read on forums! :-)

Wrong. It's an ES+ with 16 inch wheels.

Well, unfortunately it didn't work out.

Got there and purely by coincidence parked right next to the Jazz. Had a good look around the car before heading into the dealership: the alloys were badly kerbed and scuffed front nearside and offside rear. Noticed a few small blemishes around the drivers door lock, but nothing major. Car was clearly showing the correct mileage, and the salesman showed me the service book with annual services stamped, (so not variable servicing). Elderly male owner who used it for shopping and not much else, so it seems.

Under bonnet was clean and cold and it started up first time, sounding sweet as anything. Really impressed with the magic seats and also the size of the boot, which (presumably at the expense of legroom in the back) is much bigger than that of the B Max. Lots of buttons and switches inside, automatic climate control etc.

But...although I didn't actually take it on the road (see below), Mrs Argy Bargy found the seats less comfortable than the B Max, and because the seating position is lower down she struggled to get up and out of the car without using her stick.

Absolutely no movement from the salesman on putting a year's tax on the car or extending the warranty, so I handed the keys back without driving it. He said he could talk to the general manager about 12 months MOT, but couldn't guarantee that. Weighing the great practicality of the car plus the Honda reliability against those issues which I had put down as our red line, and in particular the seating position and a longer warranty, we couldn't take the thing any further.

To be fair to the salesman, he did remark that if I'd spoken to him on the phone yesterday about the warranty extension it might have saved us a wasted journey, but at least now we have seen a Jazz in the metal. Its just that lower down seating position which is making me think we need to go for something where the seats are higher.

So 80 miles and a couple of hours down the pan buying wise, but not in terms of our general car replacement journey.

Oh, and the B Max behaved impeccably all the way there and back. ;0)

Edited by argybargy on 31/12/2017 at 16:19

Well, unfortunately it didn't work out.

Got there and purely by coincidence parked right next to the Jazz. Had a good look around the car before heading into the dealership: the alloys were badly kerbed and scuffed front nearside and offside rear. Noticed a few small blemishes around the drivers door lock, but nothing major. Car was clearly showing the correct mileage, and the salesman showed me the service book with annual services stamped, (so not variable servicing). Elderly male owner who used it for shopping and not much else, so it seems.

Under bonnet was clean and cold and it started up first time, sounding sweet as anything. Really impressed with the magic seats and also the size of the boot, which (presumably at the expense of legroom in the back) is much bigger than that of the B Max. Lots of buttons and switches inside, automatic climate control etc.

But...although I didn't actually take it on the road (see below), Mrs Argy Bargy found the seats less comfortable than the B Max, and because the seating position is lower down she struggled to get up and out of the car without using her stick.

Absolutely no movement from the salesman on putting a year's tax on the car or extending the warranty, so I handed the keys back without driving it. He said he could talk to the general manager about 12 months MOT, but couldn't guarantee that. Weighing the great practicality of the car plus the Honda reliability against those issues which I had put down as our red line, and in particular the seating position and a longer warranty, we couldn't take the thing any further.

To be fair to the salesman, he did remark that if I'd spoken to him on the phone yesterday about the warranty extension it might have saved us a wasted journey, but at least now we have seen a Jazz in the metal. Its just that lower down seating position which is making me think we need to go for something where the seats are higher.

So 80 miles and a couple of hours down the pan buying wise, but not in terms of our general car replacement journey.

Oh, and the B Max behaved impeccably all the way there and back. ;0)

Sorry it didn't work out. Better to walk away, than buy it and regret it. Not a wasted trip though, as you now no that the Jazz isn't the car for you.

When I've bought cars in the past the salesman has been back and forward to the boss "to try and get a better deal for me". You know how the patter normally goes. I expect these discussions to be done at the time, not a few days later when the boss is there.

Quite agree that a 60 day warranty is poor for a car they're asking £7000 for. Think legally they're reponsible for defects for 6 months (within reason, it is a 4 year old car). If they're only prepared to offer 60 days warranty, it makes them sound like they'll try and duck out of their responsibility after the 60 days.

However take your time. You're in the fortunate position that you don't need to change car just now. You can take your time until you see the right one.

Shame - but you'll have learned from this and will take that extra experience to the next one you view. And it's possible that one might not be the right one either ... but eventually it'll slot into place, be that with a Jazz or something else. If the Jazz IS too low then at least you've found that out and can discount it ... I do remember sitting in one (the same model as the one you looked at) and thinking the seating position wasn't especially high and it fell out of favour with me. The Yeti IS higher and I love it.

Rather like yourself I lean towards extra height. And an automatic is almost obligatory. There would be a few contenders, including a Vitara, which has height but not excessive length and does come in auto. options, albeit both twin clutch and torque converter, depending on model. If and when I'm serious about looking around that would be among the first to view. But I imagine you've considered one and discounted it ... to be honest I can't remember your criteria off the top of my head.

Better luck next time.

Edited by KB. on 31/12/2017 at 17:32

Thanks, both.

Disappointing on one level, but I'm glad we set those red lines and stayed with them.

Criteria...basically, that 'er indoors can get in and out without having to lean on her stick to do so, and remain well supported by the seats on a longish trip. Priced at around 7k second hand, not necessarily roomy in the back because it tends only to be the two of us;decent boot, seats that fold flat or almost flat to take bags of garden rubbish, bed bases, DIY materials, anything else I happen to be moving at the time. Nothing too sluggish, but I'd rather have a car that hits sixty sooner rather than later. 5 doors rather than 3. I'd be happy to go back to a manual if the above combination wasn't available in auto.

Most of that we already have with the B Max, and if we hadn't gone for the Powershift there might not have been an issue. But we are where we are.

It was a Kia dealer that we went to today, but when I asked about the Venga he warned against it as an alternative, mainly on the grounds of planet-wrecking MPG, as already mentioned here.

The Mazda 2 has been suggested also, but I'd imagine that again the seating position is going to be too low down for the missus. Now that the Jazz has proven not to be the perfect solution that I'd hoped for, I'm starting to struggle for an alternative; price being the thing that prevents us from widening our search.

Still, I might look for another Jazz closer to home and this time have a drive of it with Mrs A in the car. She might just enjoy it when its on the move.

Edited by argybargy on 31/12/2017 at 18:31

If it doesn't HAVE to be auto. then is there a reason you haven't mentioned a petrol Yeti. If it HAD to be auto. then I can see that you might have put off by the DSG (although I much prefer my DSG to a manual.... I love it.) It's six and a half yrs old and I guess it might fetch six or maybe seven grand... (I'm guessing really, it might be less, it might be a lot less) it's one owner, low mileage and immaculate... so if I have such a car then there must be others - more likely manual ones. It's 1.2 petrol and is quick enough for most people, the boot's not bad, it's high, it's safe and, IMO, it's quite quiet and comfortable, the insurance and maintenance is reasonable. Maybe a Yeti would tick some, or more, of your boxes?

Edited by KB. on 31/12/2017 at 19:32

Most of that we already have with the B Max, and if we hadn't gone for the Powershift there might not have been an issue. But we are where we are.

In that case, have you considered another B-Max, but with a 1.4 petrol engine with a 5 speed manual gearbox?

Seems to be quite a few low mileage Zetec models around on 63 or 14 plates on Autotrader, within the £7000 price tag.

KB, no, I've not looked at the Yeti, but I will. Someone I know has a 66 plate Yeti, and although I haven't had a close look at his car, I assumed that even second hand they'd be expensive.

FO, the only option available to me in the B Max is, as you say, the 1.4, UNLESS I went for one of the Ecoboost engines. I've been warned off the latter on this and other forums and performance of the 1.4 is apparently flat as a fluke, so no real option to change for a different version of the model. Which is a real shame.

1.6 petrol engine with manual gearbox would have been a popular option in the B Max range, I'm sure.

Quick scan of Autodoofer reveals few Yetis in our price range (up to £7K) within 40 miles, and most of them diesels. Not keen on that option, to be honest.

Might still venture out and look at one, just for reference.

Try a Yaris for comfort too. CVT auto is well proven and the 1.33 petrol is almost indestructible. I find them nicer to drive than the Mk II Jazz too. If the management can get comfortable in one it’d be a good option. Here’s one at a Toyota dealer with 12mths Toyota approved used warranty that’s not too far off. Negotiate and a deal should be possible within budget.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171005998...1

Edited by SLO76 on 01/01/2018 at 11:25

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - Avant

As you're finding, Argybargy, seat comfort and ease of entry / exit are a bit of a minefield, largely because people's mobility problems are all different and personal to them. And it isnl;t just a matter of seat height: the distance between seat and door sill can have an effect too.

SWMBO, who has a back problem, had trouble with the firm bolsters on the seats in the Octavia vRSs that we had: she is more comfortable in the Volvo V60 but more comfortable still in her (lower) Audi A1. We tried a Yeti at one point: comfortable but you have to climb up slightly into it.

The B-Max and C-Max are particularly good at not requiring you to climb either up or down. Others worth trying would be the Suzuki Ignis and Vitara, the VW Golf SV, Renault Captur, Nissan Note, Citroen C3 Picasso and Peugeot 2008. The last four have French mechanicals: there are plenty of good ones around and they aren't all rubbish, but they are perhaps more vulnerable to neglect or abuse by previous owners, so therefore more of a gamble.

Is the Toyota Verso too big? Worth a look, and you never know, you might both be comfortable in an Auris. If I were going to buy a used mainstream car, Toyota would be the first I'd turn to. There are so many examples of older Toyotas soldiering on and on without needing expensive repairs.

If you can live with the relatively poor economy, maybe you should have a look at a Kia venga or hyundai ix20?. They have a nice high seating position and though bigger than a jazz, still a fairly compact car. The auto option is an old school t/c coupled with a 1.6 n/a petrol and are not that efficient. But if you don't cover that many miles, it may not be a problem. There is someone on the forum has a venga and really rates it but I can't remember who.

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - scot22

It's OldRoverBoy. My one concern would be acceleration for coming from side roads and overtaking.

Just remembered I sat in a new Golf SV in a showroom thinking it could be the perfect replacement for a Yeti. Sat in it and pumped up the drivers seat height adjuster as far as it would go and (IMO) it still felt to be too low a driving position when compared to the Yeti, so, yes, I can see why Avant might say you have to climb up into it - in practice neither of us feel it to be especially awkward to get in or out of... but I recall Avant saying he thought you had to stretch IN to the seat as well as UP ... so clearly you'd need to try one to see how comfortable it was to get in and out of. To me it's spot on and has a pleasant airy feel about it whereas the Golf SV seemed to encompass you and the dash felt closer and the whole thing felt less spacious in the front.

They had an ordinary Golf in there right next to the SV. Sat in the ordinary Golf for about three seconds and realised how much lower it was than the Yeti - I also recently sat in the Yeti's replacement (well, sort of) ... the Seat Ateca, and it, too, felt lower.... more like the SV. Furthermore it's not only lower, it's longer and wider.

As mentioned, haven't sat in a Vitara but will do and hope not to be disappointed. I would have thought a used Vitara should be in the running. It has a good NCAP figure too (as does the Yeti).

Edited by KB. on 01/01/2018 at 14:34

Lots more to think about there, thanks.

The Yaris is quite a small car, I think, perhaps smaller than the B Max or Jazz? I do have to think about having enough space and seat flexibility to get relatively large items in the back, so maybe that wouldn't work. Still, thanks for the suggestion.

I don't know anything about the Verso, so I'll look that one up. And yes, seating comfort for those with back problems etc IS a minefield, especially when funds are limited. The B Max is as good as any we've had, but hopefully not unique in that price range.

The Venga looks pretty big compared to Jazz and B Max, and not only ORB but the salesman I spoke to yesterday, at a Kia dealer, warned me about the poor MPG. Thats not, however a huge issue for us because our mileage is fairly limited.

The Vitara is again something I hadn't considered, but if the price is right and one turns up...well.

Much appreciated again, and sorry if anyone has mentioned or suggested anything that I haven't directly responded to.

Edit: there are two examples of the Nissan Note at a local dealer, so might arrange to have a shufti at one of those. We did have one as a courtesy car back in October but it was a 56 plate which was clearly having a hard life. Quite impressed with the power of the 1.6 engine, however.

Edited by argybargy on 01/01/2018 at 18:12

As its now such a long thread I am losing touch with whats been suggestsd. So apologies if I am duplicating previous posters' advice in suggesting a van-derived car? Or something that looks if it is, such as a Roomster?

The venga is 12.5cm longer, 7.1cm wider and 7.5cm taller than the jazz, so not a great deal of difference. If you compare the venga with your b-max the difference is even smaller with the venga being 4.3cm longer and 1.4cm wider. Though the b-max is actually 4mm taller(!).

The current vitara seems to be a good little car but you would really need to up your budget as the cheapest on autotrader is £8899 and it is the only one under £10k. The cheapest auto is not far short of £15k!.

Regarding the yaris, i know for a fact the seat heights are all but identical to the jazz, so if that is too low for your wife, the yaris will be too.

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - Nickdm
If you don't do a huge annual mileage, the relatively poor mpg of the Venga shouldn't be a concern surely?

If it ticks the other boxes, and possibly excels in some areas such as remaining warranty and a good reputation for reliability then what's not to like?!

Only other left-field suggestion might be a Mitsubishi ASX? Don't know how keenly they are priced in the UK though.

It is quite a long thread, and I’m losing touch myself. Maybe time to put it to bed till I have plans to do something definite.

Thanks for the suggestion of van-derived, catsdad , but I would prefer something that looks more like a car than a van.

Yes Nick, you’re right re the low annual mileage, and I would consider a Venga because of its slightly greater size and the engine power, even though the MPG wouldn’t shame a Sherman tank. There’s one at a garage about 10 miles from here, but the 51k on that clock is rather too much to make the change worthwhile.

There are 3 Nissan Notes within Venga-driving range of this location, but a butcher’s at the spec reveals that the annual tax for the model I’d prefer, the 1.6 auto, is £190 for the year which is greater still than that of the B Max. Still, one of the best cars I ever had was a Nissan, and the Note is a good size and not bad looking. Might go and check out one of those.

So BBD, the Yaris’s lower seat height compares with that of the Honda. I haven’t absolutely ruled out the Jazz because we didn’t actually drive it, and seat comfort whilst on the move is probably more important at this stage than getting in and out. Might still have a drive of a Jazz just to be sure it’s not for us.

The most we could go to budget-wise is around 7.5k. Thats it, unfortunately, but there's enough out there to make me hopeful. .

Guys..I’m going to dip out of this thread now because you’ve given me so much to think about, and so much fabulous advice; much of which I still have to take in.

If I’ve any further questions to ask I’ll start a new thread, but for now the search is on hold whilst I sort out a few other things.

A late Happy New Year to every contributor , and pleasant, trouble free motoring to you all throughout 2018.

Well...I said I wouldn't resurrect this thread but I need to ask another Jazz question and for some reason the forum won't let me post new topics. So hopefully someone will spot this before tomorrow morning.

Went to see another Jazz today: a 63 plate ES plus auto with 25k miles, priced at £7495.

Drove it, found the accelaration slightly wanting in comparison to the B Max, but the gear changes were almost imperceptible and the ride is certainly better. Missus sat in the back and said that the road noise was much less intrusive, too.

We settled on a part ex of £5300 for mine, along with six months warranty, 12 mths MOT and, of course, pre-sale service. Meaning I would hand over £2100 plus tax. But...

Having shaken hands on it, the salesman came to me with the paperwork and said there was a potential problem. No Honda sales history ( yes, I forgot to check) and worse still, it was owned by a local rental company for 2 years. He rang the company to ask about servicing but the person he spoke to was the original chocolate teapot, so he said he would ring the local Honda garage, try to find out about service history and whether they would stamp a duplicate service book. Meantime he was happy for us to sleep on it and tell him tomorrow whether we want the car.

The interior was clean with little wear, the alloys unscuffed and bodywork good, but no record of the CVT fluid being changed, so that would have to be done for peace of mind IF we took the car on. The missus loves it and, apart from the rather casual acceleration, so do I. Oh, and the B-Max behaved itself when he took it out for a test drive.

So...car in good nick, with 25k but no main dealer history and it belonged to a rental company. 2k to change from a 13 plate Powershift B Max to a 63 plate Jazz.

Run for the hills or take a punt?

Honda Jazz - Looking for.. - Avant

"Well...I said I wouldn't resurrect this thread but I need to ask another Jazz question and for some reason the forum won't let me post new topics. So hopefully someone will spot this before tomorrow morning."

I started a new thread to see if it worked. It's there on my mobile, but no sign of it on my desktop. I'll E-mail Kalpesh, our IT guru, although he probaby won't see it till Monday.

As to the Jazz, if I were you I wouldn't hurry. There must be lots of 3-4-year-old Jazzes out there, with full service histories, owned by elderly people who change to a new Jazz because they can afford it. Don't risk this one.

Edited by Avant on 05/01/2018 at 23:29

"Well...I said I wouldn't resurrect this thread but I need to ask another Jazz question and for some reason the forum won't let me post new topics. So hopefully someone will spot this before tomorrow morning."

I started a new thread to see if it worked. It's there on my mobile, but no sign of it on my desktop. I'll E-mail Kalpesh, our IT guru, although he probaby won't see it till Monday.

As to the Jazz, if I were you I wouldn't hurry. There must be lots of 3-4-year-old Jazzes out there, with full service histories, owned by elderly people who change to a new Jazz because they can afford it. Don't risk this one.

Thanks, Avant. I've tried to post two new topics recently: one earlier this week and one this morning, and nothing appeared. So I've emailed Kalpesh myself, he's replied and is looking into it.

Thanks also for the answer to my question above. The dealer is going to try get some history from Honda and have a duplicate service record made up. When I know whether he's going to be able to do that I'll make a decision, and it's likely to be one that concurs with your advice.

It’s highly likely that it will have been serviced by a main dealer during its time on the rental fleet but you need this verified by Honda and proof provided either in a printout or a stamped up service book. Don’t buy without it, it’s unlikely it was missed but sometimes fleet cars do fall through the net plus without that service record it’ll be harder to sell on and worth less. I’d favour buying an approved used example from a main dealer if you can. They get the best stock and offer the best warranty and while they’re usually a bit dearer this isn’t always the case. Problem is scarcity when it comes to Jazz CVT’s as most owners tend to buy with longterm ownership in mind.

Don’t think of my criticism of the way the car drives as detriment to it. These are usually very robust, cheap to run and highly sellable little cars. I personally just don’t like the way they drive, others are quite happy with it. The Mk III largely sorts this but it’s still a bit too lacking in low speed torque and it’s sole engine option doesn’t suit all. Honda’s new 1.0 Turbo would make an excellent addition.
It’s highly likely that it will have been serviced by a main dealer during its time on the rental fleet but you need this verified by Honda and proof provided either in a printout or a stamped up service book. Don’t buy without it, it’s unlikely it was missed but sometimes fleet cars do fall through the net plus without that service record it’ll be harder to sell on and worth less. I’d favour buying an approved used example from a main dealer if you can. They get the best stock and offer the best warranty and while they’re usually a bit dearer this isn’t always the case. Problem is scarcity when it comes to Jazz CVT’s as most owners tend to buy with longterm ownership in mind. Don’t think of my criticism of the way the car drives as detriment to it. These are usually very robust, cheap to run and highly sellable little cars. I personally just don’t like the way they drive, others are quite happy with it. The Mk III largely sorts this but it’s still a bit too lacking in low speed torque and it’s sole engine option doesn’t suit all. Honda’s new 1.0 Turbo would make an excellent addition.

Many thanks, SLO.

Can't believe I actually forgot to check the service history before talking about the deal, but fortunately the dealer was open and honest about the situation.

As above I'll wait to see whether he manages to get any history from the local Honda dealer before making a decision. Its obviously in his interests to do so whether we buy it or not.

Well, he didn't manage to track down any Honda history, so the search goes on.

Shame, because it was a much nicer colour in the metal than it looked in the advert. ;0)