What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Bilt Hamber Rust Converter/Protection Wax - Which? - Surrey_Scientist

Hi all,

I have a very small amount of surface corrosion starting on the inside lip of my rear wheel arch, just on the edge, where presumably the original paint wasn't so thick, or wasnt applied well.. At the moment its just surface and not visibe from standing outisde the car (you have to look inside the arch) , and doesn't appear to be coming through from the inside, so I just wanted to do some touching in and rust-killing and reproofing as its not a big enough are to warrant a bodyshop (and its an old but otherwise mint condition car)

I'm wanting to rub it down and kill the surface just before painting with some smoothrite, and then putting some rustproofing wax on the entire area.

Bilt Hamber products seem highly recommended and peformed well in an independent test I read but they do several different products for these jobs - Which ones are best ?

I need a Rust Converter which wont damage surrounding paint when I paint it on after just rubbing down the small areas of spots, and once Ive painted it, some wax to put over the top and re-proof the rest of the area (preferably brush-on).

has anyone used their products and recommend which of their rust-killer s and which proffing wax.

Cheers

Bilt Hamber Rust Converter/Protection Wax - Which? - gordonbennet

Deox Gel is a rust remover, Hydrate 80 a converter, for your job if you can get to all the rust and can paint the stuff on accurately then the Deox Gel will remove the rust, if its spread into the seam maybe the 80 would be better as its a rust converter.

Once painted, several coats, i would use Dynax UB or maybe UC which is sort of translucent, if you want to coat inside cavities S50 is the kiddy.

I see BH have a new product www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-t...c Atom Mac, new one on me, any ideas folks what this is supposed to do differently, is a lighter film that might be easier and lighter to apply for example inside doors?

edit, no nothing of the sort, Atom Mac appears to be a corrosion inhibitor you could apply in water spray say to your brake discs if you were wintering a vehicle outside, suggests spraying the entire underside of your car prior to its winter salt bath...sounds interesting will have to do more research on this stuff.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/12/2017 at 20:10

Bilt Hamber Rust Converter/Protection Wax - Which? - craig-pd130

As you say, the new product looks like a 'storage treatment' whch because it's water-based, is able to be sprayed in a very fine mist for good penetration and creeping ability. The water then evaporates to leave the active parts in place.

With regard to the original question, a quicker and easier method if the rust spot isn't visible is to rub the rust off with fine grit paper, make sure the area is dry (using a fan heater or hair dryer) then slather the area in Finnegan's Underseal. It's b***** horrible sticky stuff and best applied warm, but it simply does not get washed off by any amount of road spray and it stops rust re-occuring. This could save applying multiple coats of paint.