What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Leviathan pick-up for snobs - Fishermans Bend

vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-news/new-vans/2017-07/me.../

Yes dear, we need one to tow the caravan, and take up two spaces in the supermarket car park.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - focussed

Another Dodge Ram wannabe - just get a proper one with a huuuuuge 410 hp V8, not a weedy 2.3 diesel.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - mss1tw

Another Dodge Ram wannabe

Or just a wannabe in general

Forget nonsense like this and just get a Hilux. Job done.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - craig-pd130

It's interesting that the car is effectively a rebadged Nissan Navara.

I would've thought MB had plenty of tank-like 4x4 vehicles that it could cut & shut to turn into one of those awful crew-cab jobs.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - Manatee

What's interesting about it is the message that the MB brand means very little.

We all know that manufacturers "cooperate" sharing engines for example, but when half the utility of a MB for so many of the buyers is the badge on the front, sticking it on a Nissan with a poor reputation to start with just destroys brand capital.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - RobJP

I do wonder about how little people pay attention to things like this. We all know it's a Navara with added chromy bling, MB badges and £5-10k added onto the price, but it seems the public never twig on.

Remember the outraged posts a couple of years ago from someone who'd just realised that their Audi was, mechanically at least, a Skoda ?

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - RT

I do wonder about how little people pay attention to things like this. We all know it's a Navara with added chromy bling, MB badges and £5-10k added onto the price, but it seems the public never twig on.

Remember the outraged posts a couple of years ago from someone who'd just realised that their Audi was, mechanically at least, a Skoda ?

There's nothing wrong with sharing across brands in groups or alliances - AS LONG AS - the better assemblies/components are used in the "lesser" brands to achieve economy of scale - and not the other way round.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - badbusdriver

It's interesting that the car is effectively a rebadged Nissan Navara.

I would've thought MB had plenty of tank-like 4x4 vehicles that it could cut & shut to turn into one of those awful crew-cab jobs.

I thought the same thing with the Mercedes citan, a small van heavily based on the Renault kangoo of all things. Surely they could have turned the b class into a 'more Mercedes like' small van. The only saving grace is that they don't hold their value particularly well, in fact buying used, there isn't much difference in price between it and the kangoo!.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - 520i

[MOVED!]

Edited by 520i on 22/07/2017 at 13:46

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - Brit_in_Germany

Coming to a school playing field near you ...

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - Ethan Edwards

I like the pick ups with Librarian or Worrier plastered all over the side.

It's really courageous of the owner to admit having crushing insecurity or a effeminate occupation.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - Metropolis.
I really find it interesting how people can refer to this
truck as a 'leviathan', nothing of the sort! But then again
for those that spend their lives in identikit hatchbacks it
must seem quite exotic...
Leviathan pick-up for snobs - nick62

I'm not going to argue the toss over the brand / snobbery issue, etc., but what really upsets me is all the dinosaurs who voted to leave the EU, otherwise the £33,000 price tag would be more like £27,000.

I'm not going to argue the toss over the brand / snobbery issue, etc., but what really upsets me is all the dinosaurs who voted to leave the EU, otherwise the £33,000 price tag would be more like £27,000.

Get used to it - that vote is over.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - nick62

I'd feel better if Johnson, Gove and the other non-entities were locked-up and the key thrown away.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - oldroverboy.

Getting off topic.. Handbags awway please.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - piggy

Get used to it - that vote is over.

Yes,the vote is over ,but thankfully common sense may yet prevail. What's needed is a referendum on the deal reached by the government. I'm willing to bet a large majority would vote to stay in the EU. The potential damage to our economy is becoming clearer every day.

I really find it interesting how people can refer to this truck as a 'leviathan', nothing of the sort! But then again for those that spend their lives in identikit hatchbacks it must seem quite exotic...

It is leviathan and unnecessary. When one crashes into your little darlings in their first car you'll find out how leviathan they really are.

My children will learn to drive in a Defender 90, will also serve as first car once
they pass the test. Slow, safe and basic enough to learn how to fix it themselves.
Leviathan pick-up for snobs - badbusdriver
My children will learn to drive in a Defender 90, will also serve as first car once they pass the test. Slow, safe and basic enough to learn how to fix it themselves.

Safe?, by what measure of the word do you come to that conclusion?. Good grief man, do you live in the past?, when it was generally assumed (wrongly), that to make a car safe, simply make it as stiff as possible, preferably with a a couple of great big girders for its seperate chassis. A car like a landrover, with its seperate chassis, if it is involved in an impact with something extremely hard, like a truck, a tree, or a building, is going to transfer all of that force directly on to the occupants. No crumple zones, no softening of the blow. A modern car is designed to crumple, so the structure of the car absorbs most of the forces of the impact. If your kids are involved in a collision of the type i suggested, your landrover may emerge looking relatively sound, but the occupants will have suffered catastrophic and potentially fatal whiplash related injuries.

Some years ago the tv program 5th gear, staged an offset head on collision between the then new renault modus (which despite being very small indeed, had a 5 star euro ncap crash test rating) and a volvo 940 estate. The information provided by the crash test dummies said the occupants of the renault would have got out the car uninjured (apart from some minor whiplash), no broken bones etc. In fact, the doors on the renault could be opened, a sure sign that the safety 'cell' surrounding the cabin, did its job. The occupants of the volvo would have survived, but there were broken legs and ankles involved, plus the doors would have to be cut open.

My children will learn to drive in a Defender 90, will also serve as first car once they pass the test. Slow, safe and basic enough to learn how to fix it themselves.

Safe?, by what measure of the word do you come to that conclusion?. Good grief man, do you live in the past?, when it was generally assumed (wrongly), that to make a car safe, simply make it as stiff as possible, preferably with a a couple of great big girders for its seperate chassis. A car like a landrover, with its seperate chassis, if it is involved in an impact with something extremely hard, like a truck, a tree, or a building, is going to transfer all of that force directly on to the occupants. No crumple zones, no softening of the blow. A modern car is designed to crumple, so the structure of the car absorbs most of the forces of the impact. If your kids are involved in a collision of the type i suggested, your landrover may emerge looking relatively sound, but the occupants will have suffered catastrophic and potentially fatal whiplash related injuries.

Some years ago the tv program 5th gear, staged an offset head on collision between the then new renault modus (which despite being very small indeed, had a 5 star euro ncap crash test rating) and a volvo 940 estate. The information provided by the crash test dummies said the occupants of the renault would have got out the car uninjured (apart from some minor whiplash), no broken bones etc. In fact, the doors on the renault could be opened, a sure sign that the safety 'cell' surrounding the cabin, did its job. The occupants of the volvo would have survived, but there were broken legs and ankles involved, plus the doors would have to be cut open.

Defender ended production exactly because it wasn't safe by modern standards - even then it was given a 5-year "stay-of-execution" as an existing model.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - Avant

There are going to be more and more of these alliances, like Mercedes/Nissan/Renault, so people will need to shop around between brands more than they do now, if the car, or indeed pickup, is much the same across several brands.

I've always thought Mercs are overrated tat, ever since they spent a decade flogging nasty cheap steel rotboxes to silly vain people for £50k a time all through the late 90s and early 00s, but surely this is a new low? It is, quite literally, a Nissan with a Mercedes badge on the front! Goodness, they must be desperate. It's even less dignified than the rest of the world using E Class saloons as taxis like the UK uses Octavias!

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - Wackyracer

Hardly anything new is it? There has been many badge swap models over the years and still are.

In some markets the Ssangyong Musso's were badged as Mercedes and that was years ago, although at least you did get Mercedes designed mechanicals, even if they were completely manufactured and assembled in South Korea.

Hardly anything new is it? There has been many badge swap models over the years and still are.

In some markets the Ssangyong Musso's were badged as Mercedes and that was years ago, although at least you did get Mercedes designed mechanicals, even if they were completely manufactured and assembled in South Korea.

One is, however, presumably entitled to expect better when paying daft money for a supposedly exclusive luxury vehicle? If Merc were merely attempting to continue further into the light commercial market following their small van a little while ago, then a Nissan in a posh hat might be fair enough, however it they are marketing this as a 'premium pickup', in which case an existing 'non-premium' pickup with a Mercedes grille glued to the front is a poor effort.

Edited by 520i on 22/07/2017 at 15:31

One is, however, presumably entitled to expect better when paying daft money for a supposedly exclusive luxury vehicle? If Merc were merely attempting to continue further into the light commercial market following their small van a little while ago, then a Nissan in a posh hat might be fair enough, however it they are marketing this as a 'premium pickup', in which case an existing 'non-premium' pickup with a Mercedes grille glued to the front is a poor effort.

Caveat emptor, seems to be the order of the day. Those daft enough to pay over the odds for a Nissan with a 3 pointed star and a light face lift will still think they have something wonderful and that they are much better than their neighbour driving that paltry Nissan.

There is no limit to how stupid some people can be and who can blame any company that legally takes advantage of them?

I'm not sure about daft money, at a quick glance it's not much different in price to the Nissan from what I saw. It's hardly an 'exclusive luxury vehicle' it's a pick up truck.

Edited by Wackyracer on 22/07/2017 at 15:45

Merc themselves are describing it as "The first premium pickup". Volkswagen of course also produce a pickup (their own work I believe, not a Nissan) and would it not be reasonable to suggest they are perhaps a 'premium' brand? If so, they got there first by quite some margin.

Edited by 520i on 22/07/2017 at 16:08

The VW Amarok beat M-B as the first premium pick-up by 7 years - all their own work but a workhorse so devoid of "bling" - perhaps VW group will bring out Audi, Porsche and Lamborghini versions to compete with the X-Class - or even a Bentley version!

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - corax

The only pick ups worth having are the single cabs with a long deck, proper space for gear and designed for actual work like the old Hi Lux, Rangers, Mazda b2500's used on farms, quarries e.t.c. I don't see the point of crew cabs. Yes, you can haul your family around but the load area is abysmal. They are more often than not empty when I see them, and the load area is spotless.

Add to the fact that any gear that you put in in the back is open to theft unless you get a hard top, then you can't get things like mowers in them without folding the handles which defeats the object.

They might be all wheel drive but unless they're loaded up, they are very tail happy.

For the kind of use that crew cab pick ups are put to, they must be one of the most inefficient vehicles to use as general transport. I saw a new crew cab Ranger in a car park, the back end stuck out of the parking space by a mile.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - gordonbennet

Some interesting views here, maybe some green tinted.

Those pick ups tare off usually at under 2 tons, which is just under three quarters of ton lighter than Discovery 3 and 4 and roughly half a ton lighter than full size current Range Rovers and Toyota Amazons, and near enough the same weight as larger people carriers..

Might be interesting to see what modern large cars weigh too.

Edited by gordonbennet on 22/07/2017 at 18:39

Yeah, there are leviathan 4wd heaps of junk too. Cars weigh more than they did, but it's all about unneccesary mass hurtling towards people driving cars no bigger than they need, most of these having no pretention above their station. Just ask Gordon Murray about unnecessary massiveness.

Cadillac were there before them too with the Escalade XLT

These type of pick-ups do fit a particular market, for people having them as a company vehicle. I believe they are not subject to company car tax as they are a commercial vehicle.

Edit: I just checked and they are subject to about half the tax of that payable on a company car.

Edited by Wackyracer on 22/07/2017 at 20:30

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - Manatee

I only know one person with one of these 'luxury' double cabs, can't remember whether it is a Ranger or Navarra, but he is a publican who sometimes carts barrels of beer with it in addition to using it as personal transport.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - galileo

These type of pick-ups do fit a particular market, for people having them as a company vehicle. I believe they are not subject to company car tax as they are a commercial vehicle.

Edit: I just checked and they are subject to about half the tax of that payable on a company car.

Some members will recall the saga of the poster complaing that his wife's paperwork got wet in the load area when it rained. He never did justify why an accountant needed to use the load bed of one of these (wasn't it a Mitsi L200?) for the the documents she took to customers.

We suspected it was all to do with the lower tax, he never admitted this though.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - galileo

Some members will recall the saga of the poster complaing that his wife's paperwork got wet in the load area when it rained. He never did justify why an accountant needed to use the load bed of one of these (wasn't it a Mitsi L200?) for the the documents she took to customers.

We suspected it was all to do with the lower tax, he never admitted this though.

Leviathan pick-up for snobs - Avant

Yes, I remember him - he got very stroppy with us for daring to question why he needed a pickup for his wife's accountancy papers and why she couldn't have put them somewhere inside the cab. I'm sure tax was the reason.

In the 45 years since I qualified as a chartered accountant I've met a few with Land Rovers but never one with a pickup (well, not the wheeled sort, anyway....).

A friend who had his own business had a twin cab pickup and was quite open about the reasons he had it (tax) but, it did get used occasionally for taking tools and materials on site occasionally when his vans were out on other work.