What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2010 Honda CRV - Auto G/Box oil Change - Alan Yates

Hi Guys, I have low mileage (45k) 2010 Honda CRV should I change the gearbox oil or leave until the the manufactures recommended interval, (60k I think) given the car is now 7 years old

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Alan Yates on 29/06/2017 at 17:51

2010 Honda CRV - Auto G/Box oil Change - Falkirk Bairn

What colour is the fluid?

Pink good.

Brown - change it.

Hi Thanks fgor your reply the fluid is still pink I am thinking of long term prevention better than cure really. but thanks anyway

Alan

2010 Honda CRV - Auto G/Box oil Change - SLO76
If you intend on keeping it longterm it's worth doing but it should still be fine at that mileage assuming the car hasn't seen much heavy towing. I know a chap with a 23yr old Accord 2.0 auto with well over 150k that's never had the g/box fluid changed. Not that I advise taking it to this level..,

Yes the car is a keeper the fluid is still pink and has not had a tow bar fitted, I would never keep the oil in a gearbox that long either. I am thinking of long term maintenance given the fact that the oil is nearly 7 yrs old so I think I will do a complete oil change and filter as well

Thanks for you reply - Alan

2010 Honda CRV - Auto G/Box oil Change - John F

Yes the car is a keeper the fluid is still pink and......the oil is nearly 7 yrs old

In that case I wouldn't waste time, money, or the risk of doing the job wrong, until at least 60,000m; 70,000 if carefully driven and not towing.

It is perfectly normal for ATF to go brown after some use but this doesn't mean that it is ineffective. The ATF in our Focus box is nearly 17yrs old, 123,000m. The ATF in my TR7 manual box (LT77) is 35yrs old, topped up from time to time with ATF at least 25yrs old (tiny leak from shaft O ring since new - not worth repairing).

Oil in a sealed container does not 'go off'. There is an absurd dogma perpetrated presumably by garages in need of business that engine oil somehow magically loses its lubricity after 365 days, and gearbox oil after a few years. Soon we will be told to change the differential oil in RWD cars.....

2010 Honda CRV - Auto G/Box oil Change - RT
Soon we will be told to change the differential oil in RWD cars.....

We already are - at 30,000 miles in Subarus but typically 40-60,000 miles in other vehicles.

2010 Honda CRV - Auto G/Box oil Change - SLO76
"Soon we will be told to change the differential oil in RWD cars....."

We sold loads of Shoguns and L200's to farmers with the same thinking. They couldn't complain when the rear diffs later turned to shrapnel well before their time.

Guidelines may be a little over cautious (better safe than sorry, or big warranty claim) but it is genuinely in the interests of both vehicle and owner that you service it according to the manufacturers schedule.
2010 Honda CRV - Auto G/Box oil Change - gordonbennet
." We sold loads of Shoguns and L200's to farmers with the same thinking. They couldn't complain when the rear diffs later turned to shrapnel well before their time.

There's brains for you, don't even need to jack it up, 20 mins and a tenners worth of gear oil, idiots..

Not a jot of sympathy for anyone who reaps the results of their own stupidity.

2010 Honda CRV - Auto G/Box oil Change - John F
." We sold loads of Shoguns and L200's to farmers with the same thinking. They couldn't complain when the rear diffs later turned to shrapnel well before their time.

Horses for courses. Most people's diffs don't have to cope with a vehicle weighing 2 tons, which might frequently tow a trailer full of sheep or pigs up and down rough tracks.

2010 Honda CRV - Auto G/Box oil Change - RT

Horses for courses. Most people's diffs don't have to cope with a vehicle weighing 2 tons, which might frequently tow a trailer full of sheep or pigs up and down rough tracks.

No - they have diffs designed to be little more capable than necessary to save manufacturing cost - so just as likely to benefit from clean fresh oil.

If the sub-900 kg Mirage used a similar diff to the 2000+ kg Shogun, then you might have a point - but they don't.

2010 Honda CRV - Auto G/Box oil Change - Manatee

Soon we will be told to change the differential oil in RWD cars.....

Actually it is probably worth changing the fluid in the rear case too. It's special stuff, the case also contains a multiplate clutch for engaging the rear drive. Water gets in, contaminates the fluid and causes rust which causes the clutch to start making noises.