Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - Roy Brown

My mk6 golf 1.6 tdi rise the temparature hand over 90 just as I pulled into my drive tonight. I let it cool down and checked the coolant, it was still at the correct level and no visbile leaks/contamiination.

There was plenty of heat coming through the vents when I turned the car off. I went out a small drive, but when I come to a steep hill where I live it started to rise up over 90. Again no cold air coming through when heatears are on full.

Any ideas?

Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - elekie&a/c doctor

Could be a lack of coolant flow due to a faulty water pump. Unscrew the cap on top of the coolant bottle and see if there is any water flow back into the reservoir through the small pipes.(engine running)

Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - skidpan

My mk6 golf 1.6 tdi rise the temparature hand over 90 just as I pulled into my drive tonight.

90 degrees is not hot for modern engines, in fact its the normal operating temp for most. The cooling fan does not switch on until the mid 90's at the earliest.

You have nothing to worry about.

Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - daveyjp

My car has the option of showing the actual water temperature. It settles at around 90 degrees, but when worked hard on hot days I've seen it climb to 102.

Cheers for reply, had a look at the top hose on coolant bottle, nothing happening so hopefully it's the pump at fault. Cheers
Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - SLO76
What mileage and age is it?
Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - Railroad.

Regardless of make and model, the purpose of the cooling system is to draw engine heat and dissipate it into the air. Heat from the engine is drawn to the coolant which in turn gets hot. At around 90° the thermostat will open allowing coolant to flow through the radiator. Heat is conducted onto the fins, and then into the air passing through it. By the time the coolant exits the radiator at the bottom it's lost sufficient heat to be able to cool the engine again. The coolant is drawn back to water pump and circulated again. If the engine gets too cool the thermostat will close until the temperature at which it opens is reached again. If it gets too hot then the cooling fan will switch on to draw air through the radiator. However this should not be necessary unless you do not have good airflow, for example when stationary or in slow moving traffic.

If the radiator is cold when the engine is hot you have a problem, and in which case it doesn't matter whether the cooling fan works or not, the engine will not cool. Changing the thermostat once every three or four years is good practice, and definitely if the engine overheats. In this case the wax in the thermostat will become very thin due to the excess heat and will be lost. The thermostat then will not work.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for all the replies.

I got a new water pump fitted along with a new timing belt for good measure. It seems to have cured the problem as in the car doesn't go past 90 on the gauge anymore.

However the fan still comes on most times? I had drove a car the same for about a year and a half previously and never heard it come on with it.
Bump, no fault codes for the fan problem either
Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - Railroad.

The cooling fans run when the air conditioning is switched on and when a DPF regeneration is in progress. Do not confuse these with the engine overheating.

No air con switched on, not in DPF regen (as revs aren't high at idle like they should be) but fans are still on which surely can't be right

Overheating problem is back after about 500 miles since getting a new water pump

No loss of coolant. Heater is perfect inside the car. No fault codes. Any ideas???

Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - Oli rag

Are you sure that's too hot for that engine? The reason that the cooling system is built to be able to stand pressure is so that the coolant temperature is able to get well over 100 C without boiling.

Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - FP

"I got a new water pump fitted along with a new timing belt for good measure."

But not a new thermostat? Seems to me that would have been an obvious thing to replace.

Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - Stanb Sevento

Have you dad the emissions update? Fan running after you have stopped is a common problem. The fan runs because the engine is doing a DPF regeneration. Other common symptoms can be rough ideling and poorer fuel consuption.

Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - madf

All you need is a small airlock due to air in teh cooling system. Get it bled - or DIY.

When engine is cool, NOT hot, switch heater to hot. Switch on and off ignition (in case heating has an electric switch). Remove coolant filler cap. Sqeeze hard lower engine coolant hose near its attachment to bottom of radiator.. Repeat several times. Replace coolant cap... and drive it at leat 5 miles till coolant warms up.. Wait till cool. Repeat..Can be done over several days. Most garages don't bother bleeding air properly if in a hurry..

Have you dad the emissions update? Fan running after you have stopped is a common problem. The fan runs because the engine is doing a DPF regeneration. Other common symptoms can be rough ideling and poorer fuel consuption.

This sounds relatable, Im not sure if the car has had the update or not as i only have it 2 months. I will contact vw tomorrow to ask

Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - Stanb Sevento

You can check if its had the update on VWs web site using the vin or reg number, is it says it does not need it then it has been done already.

The fan running is because the DPF is or has been regenerating, if idleing at 1000rpm regen in progress, if ideling at 800rpm regen stopped and fan just cooling.There have been revisions to the fix for the 1.6 engine and worth checking you have the latest. There have been a lot of problems with cars constantly doing active regenerations

Did you get the car from VW and does it have a VW service history? You may be coverd by the 24 month "good will" and qualify for diagnostics and repairs FOC.

Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - Martin Macey
Hi there

Did you manage to resolve this problem please ? I seem to have exactly the same problem with a similar Golf and no one can seem to diagnose what is causing it.

Thanks

Martin
Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - Big John

I think there are two waterpumps with this engine 1 Mechanical but also and electric one

Any codes stored?

Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - Zar

Hi. I fixed the same problem by bypassing the internal heater matrix. Sounds bizarre but it works. Its apparently a common thing with 1.6 tdi CYAC engine. Due to the way water flows through the cooling system. It has to also flow through the heating matrix to cool the engine down. So before you change anything it will be worth bypassing the heater matrix to make sure its not blocked.

Vag 1.6 tdi overheat - Neal Hill
Hi did the fix this problem ?