What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford focus 1.6 tdci - Focus 1.6 tdci 2006 engine systems fault/cluster - Vixy

Having yet another problem with my focus. Have to say it's the worst car I've ever owned.

So 3 weeks ago it decides it's not going to start. Won't even crank, gets RAC out and yep started 1st time. Got a number of error codes

U1900, CAN Communication bus fault - receive error

U2510, CAN Invalid data for vehicle security

P0020, Intake Camshaft position actor circuit/open (bank 2)

Advised by RAC whilst it's running take straight to garage so off I went to RAC approved garage who had my car 4 days, could not find a fault and suggested might need auto electrician but could be economical write off. Now I'm not a wealthy person and I had literally made my final payment on this pos the previous month.

Took it home and playing nice except once then we've had wall to wall sunshine until Friday. That seemed to bring the problem on so in the intervening weeks I've made some observations on threads so tried one fix - slap the dashboard. Yep that clears the fault.

What actually happens is I will get engine systems fault then steering assist failure, sometimes it might show something about the brake light then reduced acceleration. This can happen at any point after starting. So Friday it played up during the heavy rain. Didn't use Saturday, Sunday not a thing wrong, Monday am fine then it rained and the fault came back. Today fine again am and played up this evening.

Slapping the dashboard clears it and it goes back to normal for varying amounts of time from a few seconds to clear completely.I'm fairly confident it's the instrument cluster and I'm booked into ford main dealer so question is what cost am I looking at? Can they repair there or will it be a replace job? Does the £99 cluster repair still stand or is it now "wear and tear"

I am so fed up with this car!

Ford focus 1.6 tdci - Focus 1.6 tdci 2006 engine systems fault/cluster - elekie&a/c doctor

Sure does look like a cluster fault.Very common on this age of Focus.I don't think you will be wanting a Ford dealer to carry out the repair as they usually charge £600 plus to fix these.They will not repair it,new unit only.There are plenty of electronic repair firms that can fix these for a lot less.

Ford focus 1.6 tdci - Focus 1.6 tdci 2006 engine systems fault/cluster - SLO76
As with anything fitted with this PSA engine it's almost guaranteed to be a never ending money pit at this age. If funds allow I'd trade it in or send it to auction while it's still running rather than wasting any more time and money on it. If you're not doing a huge mileage then stick to petrol this time when buying a car that's more than 5yrs old. Diesels are almost always a false economy.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/05/2017 at 09:38

I used to do 35k a year mileage up until 1 year ago now I barely scratch 10k

Garage has confirmed it's cluster and quoted over 900 quid. They also suggested I can get a part on ebay and they'll fit and programme. They gave me part number as 4m5t-10849-HP

I've found one on ebay with this number but it says HR not HP. Would that make any difference? It looks exactly the same and is listed for my model.

Ford focus 1.6 tdci - Focus 1.6 tdci 2006 engine systems fault/cluster - HopLane

Is this the chap you're after?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-C-MAX-SPEEDO-CLOCK-C...W

Edited by HopLane on 17/05/2017 at 17:15

Ford focus 1.6 tdci - Focus 1.6 tdci 2006 engine systems fault/cluster - elekie&a/c doctor
Get the old/ original repaired,then you have no problems with reprogramming and incorrect mileage issues.

Is this the chap you're after?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-C-MAX-SPEEDO-CLOCK-C...W

I saw that one but didn't like his feedback. I got one that shows it's working and whilst there picked up the back lights ns unit as mine was glued in for the mot but won't last.

I used to love going round scrappys and doing it myself. Can't do that much nowadays