What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Bentley Bentayga - Pride in what you do - Cluedo
Just been reading an article in another on line car mag and it was on the new Bentley 4x4. What struck me actually was how dirty the factory workers clothes were. You would never see that in a Honda factory (who mandate white overalls to show the dirt and enforce a change) let a lone something like a Lexus factory. Are the Bentley workers and managers not proud of what they do ?
Bentley Bentayga - Pride in what you do - mss1tw
Probably designer dirt to promote the 'hand built in England from finest granite' image
Bentley Bentayga - Pride in what you do - RobJP

I'm surprised. Having spent time in the factory in Crewe about a decade ago, I remember that all sets of overalls were kept on site, and a clean set supplied for use each day.

Bentley Bentayga - Pride in what you do - galileo

I'm surprised. Having spent time in the factory in Crewe about a decade ago, I remember that all sets of overalls were kept on site, and a clean set supplied for use each day.

Was that before the VW takeover?

Bentley Bentayga - Pride in what you do - RobJP

It was about 2007. I was working there as a quality audit team - there were 'issues' with body shells for the Continental convertible - the bodyshells were made in Germany and shipped over to Crewe in jig frames, and simply weren't 'square' on arrival. The final recomendation basically said that heavier-duty jig frames were required.

Spent about 2 months there, all told. They had a warehouse full of shells that were unusable, no idea what they eventually did with them.

Bentley Bentayga - Pride in what you do - RT

Crewe, and Derby before that, were built on the principle of having bodyshells built off-site and then shipped to Crewe/Derby for rectification - a lot of lead filler was used, all done by hand - then shipped back for painting.

The VW Touareg and Audi Q7 are fully built at the ex-Skoda plant in Bratislava, Slovakia. The Porsche Cayenne has it's bodyshell built there, powertrain fitted but then shipped to Porsche Stuttgart for final assembly - since the Bentayga is also built on that same platform, I'd guess something similar happens at Crewe.

Bentley Bentayga - Pride in what you do - Cluedo
I saw a similar thing in the Aston factory when I visited. Their rework rates were terrible - it made me think that is probably why their cars are so expensive! In fairness I think they were looking to spend big on a new paint line but I did see a hell of a lot of sanding back, correcting and repolishing - they had a separate line just to fix paint problems.