What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - Steveieb
Following the recent discussion about the state of Britains roads, my question is what car can give a comfortable ride as things deteriorate further.
HJ s advice was to not deviate below 55 profile tyres and 16 inch wheels which is a good starting point.
From experience I found the MK 6 Golf on 65 profile tyres was just about perfect.But have you any other recommendations?
SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - 72 dudes

Any old Citroen with hydropneumatic suspension, or any Citroen C5, even the ones with steel springs.

Unfortunately many people were put off by the motor magazines who said they would go wrong, and the handling wasn't as sharp as a German wagen.

Edited by 72 dudes on 15/12/2016 at 19:44

SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - RT

Modern cars with air suspension are almost as good as old Citroens for ride quality and much better for handling - but only available on larger premium models and expensive if/when they fail.

The Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow and Bentley T-series used a licenced version of Citroen's hydropneumatic as their levelling system - as did the infamous BMC/BL Hydragas.

SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - Tester

Seconded. I'm still in my 2001 C5 2.2 estate (hydropneumatic suspension): it's on 205/65 Cross Climate tyres and sneers imperiously at bad road surfaces. Also superb for long trips (currently doing about 1100 miles a month) and the handling is actually not at all bad when you get used to it. It's a case of looking ahead and 'guiding' it into bends rather than making late steering inputs; probably not a bad approach in any car! Roadholding is utterly imperturbable.

As for going wrong, I had a spell of minor electrical niggles when there was a period of not using it much; I suspect that damp might have been building up. No issues now. It's always been properly maintained and a few parts replaced as they wear out but still on original clutch, exhaust system etc. No problems ever with the suspension.

Did those motoring magazines also sing the praises of German reliability, and if so what do they now say about the very expensive things that go wrong with certain German marques?

SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - 72 dudes

I also had a 2001 C5 2.2 (hatch) a few cars ago. Great motorway cruiser.

I agree about guiding them into bends, when I first tried one it felt a bit like piloting a hovercraft (not that I ever have)

Did those motoring magazines also sing the praises of German reliability, and if so what do they now say about the very expensive things that go wrong with certain German marques?

Oh, they brush all that aside because nobody ever keeps a car for more than a couple of years, do they?

Some do now say it might be best to avoid a DSG if buying used, but for the most part every VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda always wins a Group Test.

SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - SLO76
The stiff ride quality of most modern cars is a bugbear of mine. It's a result of pandering to the majority within the motoring press who place too much focus on handling prowess.

Most ordinary owners couldn't care less how many g's their family hatchback can pull or how quickly it can lap the Nurburgring, they just want something that's safe and comfortable.

Totally agree with HJ on low profile tyres and sports suspension on ordinary motors, they only ruin the ride quality and often cars in the lower to middle of the range are in the sweet spot not the top spec variants with daft wide wheels and painted on tyres.

I run two modern cars but we always have an older runabout for abandoning at the pub/trainstation and the older it is the better the ride. Recent Mitsubishi Carisma was much better than our 64plate Honda.

I remember fondly the comfort in old Citroens, Pugs and Renault's from the 80's & 90's but even the French have succumbed to the handling over ride thinking. A cheap petrol Citroen C5 would appeal to me.

The poor ride is also due to the bling fashion by customers ordering bigger rims / lower tyre profiles "because they look better".

My SUV rides on 265/50 x19 tyres in summer - without the extra-cost air suspension the ride would be uncomfortable, as I found with a like-for-like courtesy car on steel springs - but my winter tyres are 235/65 x17 and are much more comfortable.

SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - gordonbennet

Subau Forester and Outback cope with most roads, lots of suspension travel and on sensible tyres.

My new to me 2005 Landcruiser is on 65 aspect 17" tyres and air rear suspension with electronically adjsutable shocks all round, in normal and comfort modes it irons all the rubble out, well till it goes wrong.

In Northants we've kind of got used to driving on third world roads, my MB indy says nearly all his work now that's not servicing type work is fixing suspension problems.

SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - Steveieb
I too live in Northampton GordonBennet so I think you have it sorted with your fleet. Is Albert Lock the MB indie you use ?
SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - John F

My Audi A8 air suspension seems to cope, but I am mainly posting to remind people, especially those with low profile tyres on alloy wheels, to keep the tyre pressure at least up to what it should be. If you don't, the tyre cannot cushion the sudden impact of a sharp-edged pothole on the rim of the wheel, resulting in warping or cracking of the metal. £££££££!

SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - gordonbennet
Is Albert Lock the MB indie you use ?

Yes indeed, much knowledge resides there.

As an aside, as a fellow county'ite how much more traffic can Northants cope with on more or less the same roads for the past 30 years, not only has the county population increased dramatically (i would like to know the numbers), everywhere you go there's huge housing developments and where its not houses its supermarkets, retail parks and warehouses for more Chinese tat going up as fast as they can level the groound and throw them up, not far off gridlock now at peak times.

Have you seen the new huge retail park going up at Sanders Lodge, just behind Albert Lock's, that's going to help the traffic situation no end along the A45 when that opens, and help no end the now nightmare Chowns Mill roundabout A45/A6 junction just down the road, can't wait.

I'm in Kettering by the way, top side, and work bottom side of Wellingborough, thats a fun journey at peak times, especially now the Mad Mile at Welly is closed for 6 months whilst they build yes more warehouses for Chinese tat nearly stretching to Mears Ashby.

Wish we could post pics direct, a double face palm is increasingly the only reply.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/12/2016 at 09:18

SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - John F
especially now the Mad Mile at Welly is closed for 6 months whilst they build yes more warehouses for Chinese tat nearly stretching to Mears Ashby.

Well, well - this is my neck of the woods! I have just lodged a formal complaint with the County Council for an explanation why they allowed Kier group to close this busy road for so long. Nothing much seems to have happened to it apart from the creation of a tiny roundabout at the entrance to some fields miles away from a decent road in which vast warehouses are soon to appear generating a constant flow of polluting HGVs onto already choked single carriageway roads. The adjacent sports field is downwind.

I do sometimes wonder at the ineptitude of, or the power of large developers to influence, council planners. These developments should be beside dual carriageways with at least three lanes. Two for lorries overtaking each other at 1mph speed difference and one for the long suffering motorist.

SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - joegrundy

I live in rural SW Wales. The roads are not the best (to be kind).

My son has a Sandero on 185/65 R 15s. IMHO it rides and drives as well or better in real-world use than most other cars I've been in or driven.

Perhaps 'real-world use' (as mentioned above) is the key here.

SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - corax

You wouldn't even think about the state of the roads with some of the old cars like Ford Granada, Jag XJ6, Rover P6, Triumph 2500 PI. Soft suspenson coupled with 70 profiles, motorised sofa's. I miss that comfort. We'll forget about all the other problems though!

I have no idea what mainstream cars are best at absorbing the roads. My Forester is good at speed, it can get crashy at low speed over drains e.t.c. I suspect that the non turbo would be better.

It would be nice to have a list of these good riding cars.

Modern stiff bodyshells were supposed to allow the suspension to work properly and give a better ride but then all the work is undone with rock hard suspension and unsuitable wheel/tyre combination.

You wouldn't even think about the state of the roads with some of the old cars like Ford Granada, Jag XJ6, Rover P6, Triumph 2500 PI. Soft suspenson coupled with 70 profiles, motorised sofa's. I miss that comfort. We'll forget about all the other problems though!

I have no idea what mainstream cars are best at absorbing the roads. My Forester is good at speed, it can get crashy at low speed over drains e.t.c. I suspect that the non turbo would be better.

It would be nice to have a list of these good riding cars.

Modern stiff bodyshells were supposed to allow the suspension to work properly and give a better ride but then all the work is undone with rock hard suspension and unsuitable wheel/tyre combination.

The roads weren't as bad in those days!

I've found that cars have an optimum speed on rough roads - found by accident on a Subaru Outback, with soft long-travel suspension, on a regularly-used potholed track that 40 was smoother than 30 and 20 was diabolical - but that optimum speed must vary considerably by model.

Kia Sorento 1, 2.5 engined, was really softly sprung, so i suspect Hyundai Terracan would be the same.

Big old Lexus 400/430 are wafters, probably the closest comfy sofa ride to compare with a Jag XJ6, and probably likely to stand the roads without falling apart or landing you with massice bills to fix regularly.

Interesting the more basic models of Dacia gaive a good ride, and i can well remember a holiday in Malta on roads that make those in Kettering look billird smooth, we'd hired a curvy Hyundai Accent on something like 80 aspect tyres, that car just rode all the bumps out, amazing really.

I agree with the tyre specs mentioned, don't go lower than 55 aspect and preferably keep it betwen 60 and 80 and you're half way there.

Had a hired Focus in Ireland on elastic bands and that was the most horrid car, in so many ways quite aprt from ride, that i've driven in years, the company pool Focus/Mondeos don't impress me either, so many modern cars have gone down the hard sprung route.

What is the idea that rock hard suspenions makes a car more sporty, i defy anyone in a rock hard sprung car to keep up with a softly sprung Scooby Legacy or similar on normal pock marked slippery roads, the concrete sprung jobbies can't keep contact with the road and hop from bump to lump shaking their passengers fillings loose, what pleasure in that.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/12/2016 at 12:58

SUV or Cheiftan Tank - Best car to deal with Britains dreadful roads - catsdad

Oh for the wonderful roads of my youth........I really miss those cobbles!