What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How to identify engine power from Ford Focus? - fv43576

I am help my mum to looking for a used car is Ford Focus 1.8TDCI the year is 2001-2004. But I am struggle to find whether the engine is 92 or 113 horsepower? will I able to see the different parts on engine or chassis number?

Thank you. Fab

How to identify engine power from Ford Focus? - elekie&a/c doctor

All the engines look the same.Open the bonnet,and on top of the plastic intercooler cover there should be a sticker to identify the engine power.If it is not there,then you could check the info by entering the Vin here;www.etis.ford.com/

Thank you do this car have wet timing belt as lot of them are bad than the chain how long this should replace?

Edited by fv43576 on 06/12/2016 at 17:48

How to identify engine power from Ford Focus? - elekie&a/c doctor

I think you will find the wet belt engines are from 2007-11. This will be the mk2 Focus.

How to identify engine power from Ford Focus? - S40 Man

I used to have 1.8 tdci great car back in the day. Quite nippy and decent economy. I think any 92 hp diesel's will be badged TDDI not TDCI which is probably the one you want. The TDDI was an old engine design even in 2000

HJ car by car gives some info on this but it's in the classics section now which made me feel old :(

How to identify engine power from Ford Focus? - SLO76
Brilliant wee cars back in the day, I flogged loads of em. There were three diesel options, the 1.8 TDDi which had 88bhp and was pretty tough if noisy and slow. The 1.8 TDCi with 98bhp and a higher output 113bhp version, both of which were great things when new but will be far more trouble than they're worth at this age.

When buying a cheap older car stick to simple basic non-turbocharged petrol engines. A vastly more complex turbo diesel is a complete false economy at this price point and should be avoided. But to answer the OP's question, there should be a badge on the the plastic cover of the engine denoting engine size and power output which will be in PS if I remember rightly. So 90PS for the TDDi and 100 & 115 for the two TDCi's.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/12/2016 at 10:25

Thanks for very helpful advice.

Fab.