What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - Fishermans Bend

Rear end of the new Civic is hotchpotch mess. Scroll down for rear end photo.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/civic-2017/

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - oldroverboy.

The last honda I liked was the Accord. The past few civics are a mess in my opinion but this one seems like a marginal improvement.

Others may differ..

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - Steveieb

How I long for Honda to return to the era in the early 80s when they produced exiting and desirable cars like the MK1 Accord, Prelude and Quintet.Or the 90s with the Civic.

I had to wait six months for my mk1 Accord as they were on restricted import. But the wait was well worth it. Beautiful stying, impressive build quality with all wiring pot cored into the connectors.

And when the corrosion problems became evident they arranged a world wide recall to fix it in the northern hemisphere. My car went to the scapyard eventually and I had tears in my eyes. but I could still balance a 50p coin on the engine.

But the jewel in the crown was the Mk 2 Prelude so loved by the legendary LJK Setright.

Thinking of the UK facility at Swindon where I believe all worldwide markets will be supplied with Civics lets hope the styling is better received than the last model. Lets face it who on earth can see out of the rear without the complimentary rear view camera.

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - gordonbennet

Gah, what has been seen cannot be unseen.

All makers have their good and bad years, not just for design looks but for problems, Honda lost the design plot around 2006 IMO, and when the last Accord came out obviously trying to outpout and outbulge Mazda6 they hit their lowest point for decades, that was about the same time they brought out that rather unpleasant looking CRV that appeared to have had chunk of the grill removed with a chain saw, they used to make quietly handsome cars and moving to garish hasnt endeared their previously loyal conservative buyers, later CRV's are much nicer to look at.

Subaru lost the plot with Tribeca and the last but one (2010ish) Legacy/Outback was a bit odd looking too, they seem to be back on track now.

Little compares in the ugly stakes to Fiats 500L, which from any angle you car to choose is an eyesore, though Jeeps latest offerings it must be said are giving it a run for its money.

Though all makers have produced some pretty awful looking cars, Bentley's 4x4 thing is painful to look at, yet others like Kia with their Optima have made a lovely flowing shape car that looks right from all angles yet managed to ruin it with nasty cheap looking alloy wheels on the upspec model.

What i fail to understand is why people are prepared to buy cars which are simply horrible to look at, no you can't see it when stuck inside the thing but having to view some of these assaults on the mince pies sitting on your own drive and paying through the nose for that punishment i don't get.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/11/2016 at 20:11

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - Bolt

Rear end of the new Civic is hotchpotch mess. Scroll down for rear end photo.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/civic-2017/

I`ve been in the world of fussy styling for some years now, and personally dont have a problem with the looks of it, the 8th gen apart from slightly hard ride and severe front tyre wear on the diesel was a reliable motor.

Ninth gen new shape, I have the tourer and find its a better car by a long way( I`ve also said before its a marmite car you either love em or hate them)

10th gen appears to be selling well in USA and will be interesting to see how well the type R does over there

I may wait for the estate to be released before I get one depending on the engine used, I have liked Honda since they made the rover body and some had Honda engines which I had an Estate version 1.6 and it was the most reliable car I ever had till it was rear ended and written off, also the most economical engine

As said each to their own!

9th is certainly a marmite car. Estate very spacious. Wife fancies the 8th gen, early ones look good value.

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - Engineer Andy

I quite agree with the sentiments - the same goes for the rear of the latest-gen Jazz as well (what was wrong with the looks of the previous one?). In the Civic's case, its almost as if they just went for the 'Type R' look on the oustide to save money in giving that model different styling.

Its worth nothing though that the original early-mid 2000s Civic Type R, which was far less aggressive and messy than the current one (and the new model), sold in far, far greater numbers than the latest model has ever done, despite it being 'amazing'.

I do prefer the interior styling of the new model to the outgoing one. Its almost as though they make the interior nice, so they have to make the exterior horrible. Maybe they should poach a designer or two from Mazda, who seem to know how to style a car inside and out well.

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - sandy56

MMM not sure about this Honda. Would have to see it in the metal. It does look over styled, like the current Civic.

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - catsdad
It looks messy. However it's mostly plastic and, as that's easier to vary than metal pressings, maybe the plastic detailing on the UK model will be varied in some way. However given the manufacturing economies of reduced variation I suspect they will be the same for all markets but has anyone seen UK spec photos?

As a current Civic fan I am also disappointed at the loss of the magic seats and the fitting of an electric handbrake.

While I like VTEC engines they are not to all tastes and the turbo will probably be more widely appealing if it's reliable. Current VTEC is of course top class in that respect. Honda used to claim that the VTEC element itself has never failed in a properly maintained engine. I doubt they will be able to say that on the turbo unit but I wouldn't be concerned at reliabilty.

Also, like most owners, I have no problem with rear visibility in practice but I don't understand why they've left the spoiler and a small degree of splitting of the rear screen. Why not kill the issue off once and for all and adopt a more open design? Differentiating the Type R with a spoiler would have been an option.

I still wouldn't rule it out for me in a couple of years if it drives well but I doubt this model will do anything to address its Marmite reputation.

As a current Civic fan I am also disappointed at the loss of the magic seats and the fitting of an electric handbrake.

I agree, I was under the assumption the UK version is the same as US apart from right hand drive and will have the option of 3 cylinder 1.0 turbo 130 bhp or reworked diesel unit,personally not a lover of 3 cylinder units and gather some makers are no longer going to make them

I think its odd the way Honda are going with engines as the US 2.0 has less bhp than the 1.5 T

Magic seats were a brilliant idea. One of the reason friends bought a Honda Jazz was for this particular feature - great for tall plants or a bike.

You can always rely on a manufacturer to get rid of a game changing idea. I expect some owners will hang on to their Civic or just go and buy another make, as much as anything to be b****y minded.

Magic seats were a brilliant idea. One of the reason friends bought a Honda Jazz was for this particular feature - great for tall plants or a bike.

You can always rely on a manufacturer to get rid of a game changing idea. I expect some owners will hang on to their Civic or just go and buy another make, as much as anything to be b****y minded.

Magic seats according to Honda dealer are rumoured to be on new model,as its a hatch, apparently wasnt very popular in America?

Magic seats according to Honda dealer are rumoured to be on new model,as its a hatch, apparently wasnt very popular in America?

Not so, if this review is anything to go by. www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/honda/civic/first-dri...0(08.11.2016)::ReadMore&utm_source=20161108

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - brum

When motoring journalists start refering to "the exquisitely sylish Juke" then I know its time for me to retire to a remote place and take up a hobby.

Not so, if this review is anything to go by. www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/honda/civic/first-dri...0(08.11.2016)::ReadMore&utm_source=20161108

And yet they put them in the HRV which personaly I didnt think a lot of.

And yet they put them in the HRV which personaly I didnt think a lot of.

HRV - Hip replacement vehicle.

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - Sofa Spud

"We had to cut the roof off to get you out".

"But I haven't even crashed the car! I was just parked on the verge and I must have dozed off."

"So how do you explain all the damage - dents and that?"

"What damage, there isn't any - or at least there wasn't any before you lot cut the roof off."

Edited by Sofa Spud on 09/11/2016 at 21:42

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - Halmerend

Why have they put a pair of lacrosse sticks at the front and rear?

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - madf

Why have they put a pair of lacrosse sticks at the front and rear?

It's so the scrap yards know where to place the hooks for the crane.

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - corax

Is all the design work done inhouse now? You used to get a lot of manufacturers using Italian design houses for their cars. Bertone, Pininfarina. Peter Horbury for Volvo.

Who designs for Honda?

Unfortunately, all cars now look the same across the board apart from corporate signatures. I used to think it was down to aerodynamic efficiency making them look the same, but half the cars on the road now are as aerodynamic as bricks.

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - madf

Is all the design work done inhouse now? You used to get a lot of manufacturers using Italian design houses for their cars. Bertone, Pininfarina. Peter Horbury for Volvo.

Who designs for Honda?

Unfortunately, all cars now look the same across the board apart from corporate signatures. I used to think it was down to aerodynamic efficiency making them look the same, but half the cars on the road now are as aerodynamic as bricks.

Blame pedestrian safty crumple bonnets and bumpers and crash crumple zones. These dictate bonnet and bumper heights and lengths - until soneone invents a new type of steel/other metal.

Who designs for Honda

I think Honda design is in house, it was all restructured apparently after the CEO was changed.

At leat the Civic will be locally produced so may be better value than all other Honda s which will be imported.

Are Honda next in line to seek government assistance , otherwise it won't be able to compete with the forthcoming Nissan Sweetener.
At leat the Civic will be locally produced so may be better value than all other Honda s which will be imported. Are Honda next in line to seek government assistance , otherwise it won't be able to compete with the forthcoming Nissan Sweetener.

I don't think our govermwnt is even that stupid to blatantly break compeition rules (some would likely be tied to the WTO trade type agreements, not just the EU) to give state aid to one firm as a sweetner to stay, especially before EU exit negotiations have even begun.

I suspect they stated their aim to get a free trade/low tariff zone for cars (amongst other things) with the EU, even if we don't stay in the Single Market.

Who designs for Honda?

Many cars today are deceptively aerodynamic. Drag coefficient of Mercedes B-class 0.26. S-class and C-class 0.24.

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - Sofa Spud

Who designs for Honda?

Haven't people always said 'all cars look the same'? In the 1930's it was black cars with a rounded-off top-hat shape, then came the early post-war jelly-moulds, followed by the tin boxes of the 60's and 70's, which became more wedge-shaped in the 80's. Now the stylists seem to throw everything at the car - the Nissan Juke being the obvious example - it looks like parts of lots of different cars grafted together.

Origami Juke. www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/motoring-issues/201.../

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - shami

The new civic is out on the streets across asia. A very handsome looking beast. Quite expensive. Here in Islamabad they are the next car to buy. at 35 lacs its not cheap. £27000.00.

How is it Shami that in your country you realise that Japanese is the word for great engineering and reliability whereas in Europe many people put up with sub standard french and italian cars that would not pass muster in International markets such as yours?

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - brum

How is it Shami that in your country you realise that Japanese is the word for great engineering and reliability whereas in Europe many people put up with sub standard french and italian cars that would not pass muster in International markets such as yours?

That is your opinion steve, anyway the civic is built in the UK with lots of locally sourced and european made parts.

Japanese diesels anyone?

I dont think his country is much different than europe when it comes to brand sales.

In my opinion, anyone who can describe some of the japanese designs as handsome needs to check their eyesight. Thats not to say that some european designs are a great deal better.

Modern cars are all about bling.

Edited by brum on 28/11/2016 at 12:57

In my opinion, anyone who can describe some of the japanese designs as handsome needs to check their eyesight. Thats not to say that some european designs are a great deal better.

Glad you said IMO, but who said all cars should look the same, IMO there are plenty of boring looking motors around, and pleased some makers go a different way styling wise

Steveieb.....because buying a car here is an expensive purchase. People pay nearly double the price they have to pay for the same car in Europe, hence the cars are kept for longer than the normal four years people generally keep cars in Europe. In that time one gets to know about the build quality of a vehicle. Honda are considered the most reliable cars here although there are more Toyotas on the road. Its just that the Corolla is cheaper to buy, so its also down to economics. Unfortunately Toyota Engines here are non turbo so you get more noise especially in the diesel rather than oooomph. Honda on the other hand supply only 2.0 Turbo VTEC Petrol Engines which are more economical. on the design front I am surprised by some comments as I think the front and back of the car are quite aggressive. The front resembles a Chevrolet Camaro (which I love).Interior is also quite nice. why should there not be bling as our lives are quite ordinary during the day sat in front of a computer.

Edited by shami on 30/11/2016 at 22:00

Oh and the last I read in a few papers the French were also in talks to setup a plant in Karachi next year. so yes we will be offered sub standard cars, but it will be welcomed as there will be a bit more choice. A few years down the line I can see them closing the plant as sales start to drop.

Heres an example

www.pakwheels.com/used-cars/honda-civic-2016-for-s...7

The new civic is out on the streets across asia. A very handsome looking beast. Quite expensive. Here in Islamabad they are the next car to buy. at 35 lacs its not cheap. £27000.00.

Are you talking about the same car? www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/civic-2017/

To me, it looks like something that wouldn't be out of place (paintwork job aside) of of a 'Mad Max' film with all that faux 'pimp my ride' front and rear detailing. IMO most Japanese cars are absolutely pants to looks at (inside as well as on the outside) at the moment. Have some of the design studios staff being drinking a bit too much sake in their lunch breaks?

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - gordonbennet

Mazda and Subaru seem to be keeping their designs conservative, even Subaru's mad bad Impreza STi looks quietly cool yet competent beside some of these crass bling things.

Ironically quietly reservedly handsome was where Honda stayed safe during their rise, why companies have to decide on a complete change from what has proven successful is a mystery, alienating your core loyal buyers along the way doesn't seem all that good an idea to me but what do i know.

I wouldn't have copied an origami doodle of a Lexus and put it into production (and that new Prius, dear Lord) but presumably someone in a design office thought it worth doing and the board must have sanctioned it...i wonder if the chairman still shows up for work in a Toyota Century, virtually unchanged for some decades and sees the irony.

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/11/2016 at 19:46

Yes Andy same car. How do i post a picture

Edited by shami on 30/11/2016 at 22:06

Yes Andy same car. How do i post a picture

not much difference in any of the models in any country afaik, and engine will be different hp depending where its going, though not sure where else the 1.1 3cylinder is going apart from uk

I think they could use more of a selection of engines than the 2 they are going to use, and do away with the EPB, bring back the manual and magic seats, they were a great idea

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - catsdad
The EPB could perhaps go back to manual - Vauxhall did this on the last Astra. However the current Magic Seats are dependent on the shape of the floor pan and the positioning of the fuel tank under the front seats so it would be a major re-engineering job to introduce to the new model now.

Honda - welcome to the world of fussy styling - Smileyman

don't really care what it looks like, if there is no spare wheel on board, not even a dedicated space for a space saver I won't even bother sitting in the drivers seat in the showroom

anyone who has ever suffered a shredded tyre at 9pm on a cold wet evening will understand .....