What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRV i-vtech - Loss of power steering fluid - stonks

I have a 03 registered Honda CRV and today stated hearing a whining sound when going round corners. I checked the power steering fluid and found it was below the bottom line.

I purchased some fluid and filled it to the required top level, about 20 miles later the noise started again and I had to refill the reservoir once more.

Less than 15 miles further the whining noise has returned and the reservoir is again very low. The car is now laud up until repairs are carried out.

I know that there is obviously a leak somewhere but I would welcome any advice on locating and repairing the problem, also any tips that might help in doing the job myself. (if this is reasonably possible)

I look forward to any help.

Honda CRV i-vtech - Loss of power steering fluid - elekie&a/c doctor

Best case you have a hydraulic pipe leaking,either metal or flexible.Worst case ,the steering rack is in trouble.Not a cheap job.If fluid is leaking that much,i would think it must be dripping out below the engine bay,or filling the steering rack gaitors.

Honda CRV i-vtech - Loss of power steering fluid - Peter.N.

If there is no evidence of an external leak, feel the rubber bellows on the rack, you may find that's where the fluid is if an internal seal is leaking.