What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Golf TDI Diesel - Help - recurring problems since purchase. - Allybrod20

Need some advice,

I bought a 3 years old VW Golf diesel on the 5th of August - and it has high mileage. I have a 3 year warranty with it. I checked everything out when I got it but by the time I drove it home, I got this engine management light flashing and catalytic converter light permanently on. I took it back to the dealer on the 9th August which they replaced the exhaust sensor. It worked fine until the 23rd of August - loss of power, same light faults again. Back to the dealer again on the 25th August and didnt get it back on the 3rd September. It turned out the same sensor was faulty.
Same problem (flashing engine management and permanently on catalytic converter) arose again on the 12th October - had my garage to check the codes which then worked fine until 19th October - now I've been without my car for 5 days now.

This problem didn't arise when I first test drove it.

I am absolutely fed up with it, because I cannot keep getting it repaired everytime it happens so therefore it's not fit for purpose at all.

I've been looking at the Consumer's right act 2015, so I can request for full refund but I worry that I will be out of pocket because the first half is deposit and the latter is finance. I worry if the car dealer will fob me off as I need a car to commute to work.

Please help, Im at my wits end.

VW Golf TDI Diesel - Help - recurring problems since purchase. - RobJP

No, you can't get a full refund, because it's later than one month after purchase, so the selling garage is entitled to make a 'reasonable deduction' from the refund for the use you've had. Exactly what would be acceptable as 'reasonable' will only be decided in due time from cases that make it to the courts. It's essentially up to you to try and negotiate with them, and if really not happy then you get the refund, make it clear that it is accepted 'under protest', and then go through Small Claims Court for the rest.

As to finance, etc. that's something for you to discuss with the finance provider.

VW Golf TDI Diesel - Help - recurring problems since purchase. - Palcouk

Would likely be a DPF problem in that the filter is blocked, as frequently mentioned in HJ answers.

And since this problem was present on purchase, or at least the drive home, it wont be covered under any insurance warranty

VW Golf TDI Diesel - Help - recurring problems since purchase. - Avant

Good luck - let's hope you get at least a partial refund. Use it to get a petrol car rather than a diesel: you'll probably get a newer car for your money.

VW Golf TDI Diesel - Help - recurring problems since purchase. - gordonbennet

Could be that other(never seen that on one before sir) Golf Diesel fault, the EGR valve, helpfully buried deep down making it something like a 5 hour fix.