DVLA car checker data: reading between the lines - mikem004

The DVLA car checker web site is very useful:

vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/Default.aspx

But how accurate is it?

I searched using the registration number of a car (2008 Toyota) advertised by a local (reputable) dealer.

It came back with:
? Untaxed
Tax due: 18 April 2015

? No MOT
Expired: 31 January 2016

The Untaxed entry seems to suggest that the car has either been SORN, or has been on garage forecourts for 18 months. It hasn't had a "normal" owner in that time.

DVLA car checker data: reading between the lines - Auristocrat

Or the previous owner didn't tax or MOT it.

DVLA car checker data: reading between the lines - RobJP

Every time I've used the DVLA checker I've found it very accurate.

Just checked. My wife's Mitsubishi, which was MOT'ed on Tuesday, the record has been updated alredy.

By the sound of it that car has been on a forecourt or in a storage compound for a while - or possibly even the old owner had died, and it was awaiting probate before being sold.

DVLA car checker data: reading between the lines - FoxyJukebox
Any number plate change of any kind throws history to the wind!
DVLA car checker data: reading between the lines - RobJP
Any number plate change of any kind throws history to the wind!

Nope.

The Shogun had it's original '07' plate on when we bought it. It had peviously had a private plate on with the prior owner, as evidenced by all the service history having that plate listed (along with the chassis number). We then put a private plate onto it.

On the MOT history site, the history shows up perfectly from the first MOT (1st February 2010), clear through to the latest one (Tuesday).

Edited by RobJP on 20/10/2016 at 20:08

DVLA car checker data: reading between the lines - Bromptonaut

Agree with Rob JP.

Bought our first Berlingo in March 2005. It's registration at delivery was KU05 XXX. In May 05 we put it on Mrs B's mother's three letter/two digit plate, Stayed on that until we bought second Berlingo in 2013. That took up the personal plate and Berlingo ! reverted to KU05 XXX.

It;s MOT history from 2008 to date can be obtained via MoT site under KU05 XXX