What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dangerous HGV Drivers - Cluedo
I try and be as understanding as possible with HGV drivers due to their busy schedule and deadlines on the U.K.'s chaotic road network but I have noticed a more dangerous habit developing that I find unacceptable. This is on particularly large islands (I noticed it on the A50 & A38 island at Burnaston a couple of times recently among others) where when you are approaching their entry to the island at very close proximity they just pull out knowing that if you do not slow to a stop you will end up in the side of their trailer. This is obviously dangerous and probably another sign of our times where drivers don't give a damn about each other or is it just me ?

Edited by Cluedo on 18/10/2016 at 10:02

Dangerous HGV Drivers - RaineMan

I commented on the declining HGV/PSV driving standards on here recently. The behaviour you mention was quite noticeable on a couple of recent runs to Norwich...

Dangerous HGV Drivers - daveyK_UK

this may upset wet guardian readers - but on the M25 the main culprits from my experience are foreign lorry drivers, particuarly with Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian and Lithuanian plates.

Dangerous HGV Drivers - Bromptonaut

The pulling out thing happens regularly on the A5 hereabouts (S Northants) particularly arounf DIRFT. Also at roundabout where we join the A4500 which links Northampton to M1/J16.

Interesting to see whether our resident LGV driver GB chips in here. He's complained in past about how modern trucks with autoboxes, traction control and other electronic 'helpers' are slow to take off.

this may upset wet guardian readers - but on the M25 the main culprits from my experience are foreign lorry drivers, particuarly with Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian and Lithuanian plates.

Left hand drive vehicles are certainly more likely to pull out lane one > two than RHD but it's an issue of blindspots rather than nationality.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 18/10/2016 at 13:17

Dangerous HGV Drivers - Wackyracer

The pulling out thing happens regularly on the A5 hereabouts (S Northants) particularly arounf DIRFT. Also at roundabout where we join the A4500 which links Northampton to M1/J16.

It might appear more there as it's an area of a high volume of LGV's. I used to be a tramper for ES and used to be controlled from the Crick depot.

Dangerous HGV Drivers - gordonbennet

I have one vehicular answer for our OP and that is our old friend the automated manual gearbox, mated to engines getting (as in cars) progressively smaller with various states of turbocharging to get the required 10bhp per ton figure.

Which if you think about it is simply ridiculous, 10bhp per ton, but that figure is only once the engine is up to peak torque its a case of getting the thing moving first of all.

I refer me learned fiends back to the 80's when weights were 38 tons max and the typical engine of the time was the good old Cummins, a 14 litre lump that gave max torque at a mere 1100 rpm and would pull like a train from 5/600 rpm, IIRC it gave 90% of its considerable peak torque from 800rpm, i assure you there was no trouble pulling out from junctions with that beasty, many a good car could struggle to keep up with the thing empty, and if the limiter wasn't engaged would struggle to stay with the thing at all empty or loaded.

Now in our fleet we have 11 litre engines, boosted to give an alleged 440hp (yeah right), but when we are loaded we are near enough 44 tons at all times, then we have the default automated manual gearbox from hell, there are not enough swear words in all the languages of the world to adequately describe this gearbox from hell.

Some fitments you still have some form of manual control of the gearbox, now whether the driver is skilled (or bothered) enough to learn the box to enable better getaways is debatable because just as in most of Britain my industry has been dumbed down to lowest common denominator level too, poorly paid in the main, skills and commitment of no interest to the majority of employers who just want cheap as.

Then of course we have road design, the new default is to make roundabouts blind, have you noticed this?, make a roundabout then either put fencing or shrubbery on the thing so the lorry driver can't see aproaching traffic and plan their pull out, you want to try getting an 11 or 12 litre automated manual moving quickly before the next cloned eurobox car comes screaming round the blind corner at 50+ mph, the gearbox will usually have to make at least 3 changes before you are up to 15mph.

The elephant in the room is the country is overfull with people with more arriving every day, the problems we are now having in all parts of our lives are only going to get worse, far worse, the enjoyable days of motoring (and life in general) of the 60's through to the 80/90's are over, they will never return, we will just have to rub along together.

Don't worry though, the autonomous vehicle isn;t far away for all of us, whether the new utopia they promise will be quite the vision of wonder they try to sell is another thing altogther.

Dangerous HGV Drivers - galileo

Having read and considered GB's posts on here and similar comments on another forum popular with LGV drivers, I can appreciate some of their problems and try to help by giving them space on roundabouts, letting them in from motorway slips and side roads when I can.

Just back from a trip to Lincolnshire, mostly rural roads with little or no traffic, spoilt by the return to M62, nose to tail stop-start for miles.

The much hyped 'managed motorway, with hard shoulder available to reduce congestion' (which was installed with many months of roadworks, 50 mph limits etc) running three lanes chock full and hard shoulder 'for emergency use only'.

If they aren't going to open the shoulder when three lanes are stop-start congested, when will it be available? Another waste of taxpayers' cash, not to mention the delays installing it.

Sitting in the queue it struck me how tedious it must be for commercial drivers who have to suffer this day in day out to make a living, it would seriously wear me down.

Dangerous HGV Drivers - Boroman
On my way home tonight I had to swerve around a truck as I passed through traffic light controlled crossroads. He was in the oncoming lane waiting to turn right and started his move as I was about 40m away from him, his take off speed suggested he either didn't see me (unlikely as It wa dark and I had dipped headlamps) or he wasn't in complete control of his vehicle. It certainly made my wife jump. By the way; the lights were on green, before anyone asks.
Dangerous HGV Drivers - Oliver Mayo

If you have witnessed a HGV being driven in a dangerous manner, then you are completely at liberty to contact the operator/owner of the vehicle or whomever they are transporting for, quote their registration plate and report the driver to his employer or the company he is on contract for. Most companies take a very dim view of even van drivers driving erratically and disciplinary measures will be in hand.

Just be sure however that it was not an everyday genuine error or the like as your report could well cost someone their job.

Edited by Oliver Mayo on 19/10/2016 at 02:24

Dangerous HGV Drivers - catsdad
Another factor is the growing mismatch between car handling and performance and that of heavier vehicles.

I don't envy an HGV trying to join our local city's roundabouts where many car drivers negotiate them at a speed which only considers the handling limits of their car and not the needs and safety of other users.

Bit of consideration needed on both sides?

Dangerous HGV Drivers - tourantass
I used to cycle past Cheshires salt mine everyday on the way to work, one lorry driver hauling rock salt decided it was easier to force me into the gutter than hold back to allow oncoming traffic to pass. I went directly to the mines head office reg no inhand quite shook up, they checked their weighbridge records and then contacted there and then the hauliers and informed them they would lose the contract if another incident was reported and they were instructed to deal with the driver concerned appropriately. The very next morning the same lorry overtook me passing the mine and then pulled up, the driver jumped down from the cab, I thought "here we go" he put his hand up and said "I owe you an appology" And did just that.....So if you survive it does pay to follow up incidents.
Dangerous HGV Drivers - Wackyracer

If you have witnessed a HGV being driven in a dangerous manner, then you are completely at liberty to contact the operator/owner of the vehicle or whomever they are transporting for, quote their registration plate and report the driver to his employer or the company he is on contract for. Most companies take a very dim view of even van drivers driving erratically and disciplinary measures will be in hand.

Just be sure however that it was not an everyday genuine error or the like as your report could well cost someone their job.

The company I work for are part of the 'well driven' scheme, we do occasionally get commended on our drivers but, this has also lead to a couple of time where drivers have been reprimanded when the story has got confused along the line.

One such incident was a collegue who took evasive action when someone opened their car door in the path of his on coming truck. A person telephoned the well driven scheme to say that his observation and skill had avoided what could have been a nasty accident, by the time this got to the first line manager the driver in question was being asked why he had opened the lorry door while travelling at speed.

I got called into the office as had been reported for driving over the white line in the centre of the road, What the person who reported me had failed to see was that the lanes on this old road were only 7 feet wide and included low wall mounted pub signs that stick out.

I'm not knocking the 'well driven' scheme but, people really do need to think clearly before they report things.

Edited by Wackyracer on 19/10/2016 at 11:30

Dangerous HGV Drivers - Cyd

With apologies to Gordonbennet in advance, I’m sorry to say that I can’t help agreeing.

Every day I drive across the Tollbar Island at Coventry. Now, as one approaches from the north on the eastern bypass the dual carriageway changes to 3 lanes at the entrance to the roundabout. The lanes are clearly signed as left lane turns left or straight on for the technology park, middle lane is straight on for the airport or right for Birmingham and right lane is for right towards Birmingham or a local road.

I’m going toward the airport, so I always join the middle lane and follow the lane markings across and onto Rowley Drive. But guess what? EVERY DAY I see an HGV in the left lane that proceeds round the island to the right and Birmingham, cutting across lanes and straight on traffic. Never signals, going slowly, not a care in the world. Earlier this week I got the most amazing film of a Turner lorry doing just this on my new dash cam app.

When I get round to editing my film down to emailable proportions, Turners will receive a copy.

A couple of weeks ago whilst out cycling, my son and I had to use a short section of the A5 and A426 across the Gibbet Roundabout (we were well lit front and back and hi viz jackets). Lorries on the A5 were great and gave us plenty of room. We’d almost reached Cotesbach on the A426, where we could jump on the path, when a lorry came up behind us. He honked his horn at us, revved his engine and then passed so close that my son said there was no air between me and him. It was a Morrisons lorry and I got the reg. Next day after I reported the incident the driver was identified and interviewed. Not so much as a twinkle of concern in his eyes, apparently (maintained a true poker face, the HR lady told me). Yet, he was a contract driver who had recently asked if he could become perm!! Not after that! He was given his ‘cards’ and asked to leave.

Professional drivers? Nah!

Rant over

Dangerous HGV Drivers - gordonbennet

Cyd, the company you mention in the Tollbar incident, and the manner of roundabout negotiation, is very probably an East European driver, standard roundabout procedure.

The problem for those of us who try to do the job well, young and old hands, is that for every 20 good lorry drivers it only takes one plant pot to stick out like a sore thumb by behaving like a fool to undo the good the rest of us try to do all day every day, of course we all make genuine mistakes same as anyone.

Just one note though, many of us lorryist perfrom acts of common courtesy day in day out, most car drivers acknowledge such actions (as i do to anyone who does the same for me)*, but as in the above scenarios as significant minority are ignorant of driving, and it would appear any other form, of etiquette and courtesy, of course that applies throughout the population.

*its got that bad that i actually put my hand up in thanks if someone indicates properly on a roundabout so enabling me to maintain progress, why has driving got to such a stage i wonder, if we all behaved a bit more like gentlemen/women then we'd all get through smoother and quicker and our days would be miles more pleasant, breath not held.

Dangerous HGV Drivers - concrete

There are idiots operating in every workplace. Generally I think HGV drivers are very good. Occasionally they do pull out as I approach, but seeing as I am usually at the correct speed and they nearly always allow a good distance I have no problem with that. I can easily pass them later if I wish to. I take GB's point about getting 44 tons actually moving at all and I keep that in mind. I have noticed that on busy roads it matters not if you're behind an HGV or in front of one. At traffic lights and other junctions you see the same vehicle within your sphere, so no one is making much progress anyway, so just relax. Obviously the odd idiot will deliberately pull out without consideration, these are probably the same idiots that tailgate. Just practice defensive driving and relax a bit more.

Cheers Concrete

Dangerous HGV Drivers - Avant

Absolutely right, Concrete. We do need to remember that the vast majority of lorry drivers are professionals and drive professionally. There's a higher proportion of poor car drivers - far higher.

The ones to watch out for are hired vans - driven by people who usually deive something like an Astra - and horse-boxes, driven by stable lads/lasses who usually ride a bike or drive Mummy's Mini.

Dangerous HGV Drivers - RaineMan

Absolutely right, Concrete. We do need to remember that the vast majority of lorry drivers are professionals and drive professionally. There's a higher proportion of poor car drivers - far higher.

Whist I basically agree with the statement in the last 15 years the percentage of lorry drivers who drive professionally has dropped dramatically. Whilst good drivers are in the majority I would estimate the percentage has dropped from about 95% to around 75%!

Dangerous HGV Drivers - SteVee

Most HGV drivers will also drive cars, some will also ride motorcycles etc. Few car drivers etc get the chance to even try an HGV and have no concept of the problems. The Under-17 Car club would sometimes get an HGV (with trailer) for the kids to try - it was always an excellent lesson and they certainly learnt to treat trucks with consideration. It was also a good lesson for the parents who also got to ride with their kids in the cabs.

Dangerous HGV Drivers - bazza

I guess there are exceptions but in my experience they are among the best drivers on the road. I followed a truly superb HGV driver through mid Wales on the A470 last week, he maintained progress, he didn't hold me up, he placed the truck inch perfect on twisty Welsh roads without cutting or kerbing once. It was a joy to watch.