What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo mk3 (05) estate. - tyre noise / tracking. - John N

Original wheel fitment 225/40 R18

Replacement wheel fitment 215/55 R16, shortly to be replaced with new (probably all weather) 205/55 R16

This car was a quiet runner when we (my son) first got it 2 years ago. Following a tyre failure a front tyre was renewed and front tracking adjusted, because the so called tyre pro suggestted the failure was down to poor alignment. The sprog was a bit green at the time so took the advice. However I had not noticed anything wrong, no vibration, no pulling, no excess wear etc., but since then the car has run noisier. And the lad says noisier still with the new wheel (which does exhibit a slight nearside pull.

It's almost as though the tyres are 'singing' as soon as you're past walking pace and just get louder with speed. It certainly a noisier ride than my Zetec hatchback (55). Neither does the car seem to freewheel as well mine.

Would a maladjusted tracking lead to this 'noise'? Or can anyone suggest another cause. If anyone has reccomendations for a top flight tracking checker / setter in the HP14 (High Wycome) area or within a reasonable distance please advise.

Ford Mondeo mk3 (05) estate. - tyre noise / tracking. - John N

Now I'm feeling a right numpty! Things that I'd done years back (like checking conical wheel bearings) have been consigned to mental history. If ONLY I'd jacked the car up and checked for bearing wear I might not feel such a plonker now.

Now that theirs no road test on the M.O.T. they didn't pick up on it either, or as the play was relatively light didn't consider it of any consequence! Having said that the main culprit for the noise was the offside bearing which displayed next to no play anyway.

Ford Mondeo mk3 (05) estate. - tyre noise / tracking. - Peter.N.

Glad you found it. I forget how to do jobs I did a few weeks ago!

Ford Mondeo mk3 (05) estate. - tyre noise / tracking. - gordonbennet

Don't feel a numpty, some years ago, well quite a few actually, we changed the noisy front wheel bearing on my mates Pug 305, no noise or rumble when jacked up and spun up so we changed whichever side it was that was noisy on corners.

Unfortunately the noise still there, the inner race of the opposite side was the culprit, but there was no way of knowing because unlike good old taper bearings you can't dismantle easily nor inspect or regrease for everlasting life, with these sealed units the bearing is usually destroyed by the time you've got the thing out anyway...course its even worse now with sealed hubs, next it'll be complete throwaway d*****ines.

Edited by gordonbennet on 22/10/2016 at 00:46