What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - 12k used family car - nicprz

Hi I am looking at spending about 12k on a used family car, originally I was just looking at German, however I've realised badge snobbery might not be my best bet.

I would like something that is very comfortable to drive long ways, I would like to take a couple of trips to the continent per year in it, whilst I would like it to have a bit of poke to make my 40mile round commute a bit of fun. The more toys the better, I am particularly fond of having cruise, heated leather seats, nav etc

So far my best options seem to be:

• Ford Mondeo 2013 Titanium X Business: seen quite a lot of these at 45k miles for about £11500 mark, I assume they are generally ex-fleet.
  • Mazda 6 estate 2013: about 12500 can get me the top of the range one with loads of mod cons.

Are these generally known for being reliable? Id rather not spend a fortune in repairs down the line. Or perhaps should I look at A4 estate with an extra year on it and less toys? (Does a badge perhaps mean more relability)

If anyone could enlighten me here with any info about which is the best shout, or point me in the direction of any alternative I would be very grateful:)

Thanks,

Nico

Ford Mondeo - 12k used family car - RaineMan

If you are looking for reliability look at what your local taxi drivers use. Here they avoid both Ford and Vauxhall. The car of choice is the Skoda! Runner up seems to be the VW Passat followed by the Toyota Pirus. Ignoring the various French bread vans there is the odd E Class Mercedes, Jaguar (mid-noughties models) with a few Mazda's and Toyotas.

Ford Mondeo - 12k used family car - sandy56

I would be happy to go for the FORD as opposed to anything from VW. Also the Peugeor 508SW is a cracker and uses the same engine as the Ford, so good for mega miles. Other option are Japanese.

Ford Mondeo - 12k used family car - Avant

Your annual mileage suggests you are just on the borderline of whether a diesel is worth the extra initial cost. Most people speak well of Mondeos, petrol or diesel, but if you want a Mazda, avoid the diesels which can fail expensively at higher mileages. Petrol Mazdas are very reliable, as is the Honda Accord.

Also as suggested put the Skoda Octavia or Superb on your list, although not if you want an automatic.

Sadly, a prestige badge doesn't mean greater reliability: you just pay more for th name.

Ford Mondeo - 12k used family car - alpha_india

You'd get a brand new top of the range C3 Picasso for that after discount. Hasn't got the badge appeal, but it's got the toys.

Ford Mondeo - 12k used family car - daveyK_UK

top of the range brand new Dacia Logan MCV with the extended 5 year warranty

Ford Mondeo - 12k used family car - Man without a plan

Did you make a decision in the end Nico? I'm in a similar quandary (will make a separate post) so would be keen to know your outcome.