What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - Iain Bruce

Hi All,

I’m after a bit of advice on my 2010 Insignia. The DMF is hanging on by a thread, the thing sounds awful and I’m worried that it is now damaging the gearbox.

The car has only covered 40k and has dealer stamps for every service bang on schedule.

I feel that a DMF failure at 40k is not really good enough - the car is immaculate inside and out and has never been spared a penny. My wife will attest that the car gets more love and care then she does. Wrong I know, but that is just how it is.

I had a quote from my local Vaux dealership of nearly 2 grand to put the DMF right. They advise that I should use their services as they are genuine Vauxhall parts. (Based on 40k lifespan, I’m not sure that is the best selling point). I have gathered some cheaper indi quotes as well. I live on the Isle of Wight which has only one Vauxhall dealership to its name and to get the car to the mainland and back at this time of year will see off 150 notes easily before I have even driven anywhere.

I wrote an email to Vauxhall at the start of this week explaining my disappointment and asking for dialogue with them to discuss this, as I feel that this case needs to be looked in to. After no reply, I followed up with two further emails and 4 tweets to their "Customer Services" account. Nothing, nada, zilch. I cannot provoke any kind of response from them at all!!!

can anyone advise me on what I might do from here, I really feel let down by Vaux, we have bought their cars for over 30 years exclusively and this is a bit of a punch in the face!!

Many thanks for your time in reading this!!

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - RT

DMF service life is very variable, dependent on driver just like clutch service life - the Fiat diesel used by Vauxhall does have a lot of torque so easy to abuse or simply be less sympathetic.

The car is 3 years out of warranty so the chance of a goodwill gesture from Vauxhall is slim, despite the full dealer history.

A good independent will replace the DMF and clutch for about £1,000 judging by our Vectra-C which used the same powertrain as the Insignia.

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - daveyjp

Unless you can prove a manufacturing defect you are on your own. After 40,000 miles this will be very difficult.

Wear and tear on Isle of Wight roads could be significantly higher than a similar car which has been used as a repmobile on the mainland. As you state 40,000 in 6 years isn't high, but how many gearchanges and standing starts will have been performed in that time?

It is an unfortunate fact that modern diesels don't really like low miles at lower speeds.

Edited by daveyjp on 02/09/2016 at 14:40

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - Iain Bruce

I only bought it over in the last year - so prior to that it was mainland miles. I think most of my upset here is the Vauxhall wont even entertain me with a reply.

I shudder to think exactly how much money I have spent with that company over the years - you would think I would be worth the courtesy of an email or call back at the very least.

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - RobJP

As to what you can do : absolutely nothing. The car is 6 years old, clutches and gearboxes are wearing parts and the lifespan depends at least as much on type of usage as it does on overall mileage. Total number of gear changes, and low gear changes in particular, are what will kill a DMF.

However, going to a main dealer is certainly the most expensive way of getting it replaced. Finding a good independent (there is a good garage guide on here, good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk/ along with other websites for recommended garages) would almost certainly be a lot cheaper. As long as the parts used are of good quality (LUK is a very good make, and used by a lot of manufacturers), then not having a 'Vauxhall' branded part will make no difference.

Do be aware : get the clutch (and release bearing) changed at the same time. Minimal extra work and cost. If it's as bad as you're saying, then it needs doing.

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - oldroverboy.

As others say, the car is 6 years old, you have no claim against vauxhall.

I bought a car that had (not) been properly serviced by the then chevrolet dealer on the IOW.

Surely there is an Indy somewhere on the island.

Other point is that you don't know how it was driven before you had it, Given the cost of getting the car to the mainland, consider the cost of returning it if there is a warranty claim!

A while back another poster had something about tyre wear on the island, not many staright roads, and lots of potholes. same for clutch wear, however much of a saint you are, and it is starts from a standstill that does the damage.

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - twitcherman

I'd give some thought to getting rid altogether - island life plus modern diesel leads me to see DPF problems in your future.

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - Smileyman

What is shameful is the rudeness (or arrogance) that a lack of response conveys - the simple courtesy of replying and rejecting the claim would constitute good business ethics. Even hiding behind the small print of T&C's is better than silence.

To be fair, I can understand the lack of response. The original post comes across as expecting, almost feeling entitled, that their viewpoint is correct, and that the car must be faulty. "Immaculate", "never been spared a penny", they "feel the case needs to be looked at" by Vauxhall.

Rather than getting into an argument with the person, and them getting more and more enraged by the fact that something on their car has worn out, but VX aren't going to do anything about it, it's easier to press the 'delete' button, and pretend the spam filter ate it.

Because if they did reply, it would be to say that "Sorry, but no". And the OP doesn't seem willing to accept that a clutch / DMF can wear out on their car.

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - Metropolis.

To be honest i'm quite shocked it wore out with such low mileage. My Land Rover has a DMF, 130,000 miles on it and still going strong. Clutch is also original. It lived the first half of its life in stop start traffic as well. Now that I have typed this it will probably disintigrate in the morning...

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - Graham567

Its a Vauxhall.Enough said.

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - Avant

"I wrote an email to Vauxhall at the start of this week explaining my disappointment and asking for dialogue with them to discuss this...."

I'm not sure what is so unreasonable here: it's a bank holiday week, some of their staff will be on holiday, and there will be lots of other queries and complaints about Vauxhalls which have let their owners down while on holiday (or in the case of the Zafira, caught fire). You've given them only 3-4 days before badgering them.

I would have waited for about 2 weeks and then chased. But as others have said, you're unlikely to get any joy given that the car is six years old. Bear in mind that for all Vauxhall know, the car could have been abused or neglected, or badly driven even with a full service history. OK - that doesn't sound like you, but they are not to know that. I'm not defending Vauxhall - I've never owned one in 50 years of driving and never will - but you have to think how it looks from their point of view. Also remember that you have no contract with Vauxhall - only with the dealer you bought the car from.

Sorry - that won't have been what you wanted to hear. Positively, this is your opportunity to flog it and go for something petrol-powered, which will suit IoW driving better.

Edited by Avant on 03/09/2016 at 01:22

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - SLO76
Bad show from Vauxhall. Even though the car is well out of warranty and a dual mass flywheel and clutch are both wear and tear items not necessarily covered anyway. It isn't good customer service to simply ignore a customer.

It's yet another example of the weakness in Fiat engined Vauxhalls, the 1.3 and 1.9 units have plenty of infortunate history here too sadly, thus the reason few survive into old age. The only diesel Vauxhall I'd recommend would be one using the 1.7 Isuzu unit. In order to encourage confidence in their products and promote use of main dealer servicing they should at least offer some goodwill here. Even a portion of the costs would possibly placate you.

VW replaced the clutch in my Caddy van at 19,000 miles for free due to a nasty judder from cold which turned out to be a leaking crankshaft oil seal and more recently replaced a seatbelt mechanism on our Polo for free a year out of warranty and in both cases they were returned fully cleaned inside and out.

This is how to encourage customers to maintain a relationship with your dealers Vauxhall. I'm delighted with the service from VW and with their products and will continue to service it at the local dealer and will most likely buy another.

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - oldroverboy.
Bad show from Vauxhall. Even though the car is well out of warranty and a dual mass flywheel and clutch are both wear and tear items not necessarily covered anyway. It isn't good customer service to simply ignore a customer.

I disagree. Avant rightly says that it would be low on a list of priorities over a busy Bank holiday week.

Was the car bought from the IOW dealer, Did the OP take up any additional warranty? The car was previously a "mainland" car (which does not actually mean anything. It is 6 years old, this from a manufacturer who will do the minimum legally required for warranty purposes.

Where do you draw the line for "goodwill"

I would say that if I had an attribuable fault that was not wear and tear and was just outside any manufacturer warranty (including any additional years purchased of manufactutrer warranty) there would be a point in asking for a contribution.

Most maufacturers give very little warranty on clutches and associated bits anyway, the exception to my knowledhe is where there is a failure of the slave cylinder/bearing or the main crankshaft oil seal.

The Op could follow his email up with a phone call of course.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 04/09/2016 at 10:38

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - Wackyracer

can anyone advise me on what I might do from here, I really feel let down by Vaux, we have bought their cars for over 30 years exclusively and this is a bit of a punch in the face!!

Quite simple advice really, Get it fixed by a good indy (as previously suggested) and then vote with your feet next time and don't buy another Vauxhall.

The OP was posted just 3.5 working days after contacting Vauxhall by email - that's totally unrealistic expectation - if you need an urgent response, use the phone.

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - Smileyman

I did not check the timing element of the OP's complaint when I made my comment about arrogance etc. I still stand by the concept regarding failure to reply, but in the light of the time scale involved do consider the OP to have been too hasty in posting his comment, should have waited longer before turning to social media for assistance.

Edited by Smileyman on 04/09/2016 at 23:58

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - gordonbennet

Its a 6 year old modern design mass produced vehicle, and as such has many parts fitted that will fail sooner or later, the clutch and DMF just as with turbochargers and lots of other parts can have a short or long life even if the parts are perfect if every driver doesn't use them sensibly, or with the latter part use sensible servicing too.

Don't really see the problem to be honest, the response of their customer services crew to email could arguably have been better, personally in the same circs i'd have been on the phone if for no other reason than to get the most likely response quickly...''no chance matey, its a clutch at the end of the day''...so i could find an indy asap to get the car back on the road cheaply as possible.

What i do wonder though is 6 years for a modern mass market highly technical car now 2/3rds into its design and/or economical life? and how, apart from buying brand new and driving and maintaining everything in old old school way, can the life of a car with unknown previous use be extended to the 20+ years we expect and get easily from previous designs.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/09/2016 at 08:54

The problem is that people wanted economical vehicles (hence diesel) with plenty of 'oomph' (torque). Diesels have all that lovely low-down torque, as you know only too well. So to protect gearbox from all that torque from the ham-fisted / ham-footed driver, they put in the DMF. Else first and second would end up with the cogs stripped in no time.

Personally, I reckon the OP is an 'older' driver. One of the type who we see going "In 50 years of driving, I've never broken a clutch yet, this one must be faulty", while they rev the nuts off the engine while pulling away in first, as their 'feel' has gotten worse, and they can't hear the engine bouncing off the rev limiter.

We've all seen / heard them (or smelt the clutch burning !)

I have no reason to question the way the OP drives, as i understand it the car was used so could have seen any previous use and drivers.

Though taking your point about torque and modern vehicles, in particular but by no means alone Diesels, in my previous work driving car transporters the move to ever more powerful (once up to revs) engines that are actually far too easy to stall and completely gutless at low revs, coupled with too high first and reverse gears have exacerbated this problem no end, in some extreme cases cars being unable to climb the decks at all, how did these things get past typa approval, does TA mean anything?

Forgetting my minor and now obsolete delivery quibbles, having to rev an engine to get any sort of moving off power exacerbated by high gearing day in day out on the road is going to lead to short clutch life and overheated DMF's no matter how good a driver is inthe cut and thrust of trying to get moving on busy junctions.

Modern vehicles, which when you work it out are now getting on for 1.5+ times the weight of their previous incarnations, yet often fitted with similar sized (in cc terms) engines plus higher first and reverse gears to boot, and no matter how many turbos or other fantastic bits they bolt on to get more blood from the stone, its still a 1.3 1.6 or 2.0 litre engine in its most basic form getting drive engaged at what should be stall revs.

Why do we need first gears capable of near enough 40 mph, its there to get the car moving not beat the drag racers at Santa Pod.

Getting back to my previous work, some 4x4's simply cannot climb the really quite kind decks on a modern transporter in normal drive without serious clutch abuse and have to be put in low range to load them, no worse angle than say a 1:5 hill, who and why decided a 4x4 weighing well over 2.5 tons should have the combination of such a weak engine and such high first/reverse gearing, good luck with the clutch on manual versions of that thing when towing its rated 3+ tons.

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - Wackyracer

Though taking your point about torque and modern vehicles, in particular but by no means alone Diesels, in my previous work driving car transporters the move to ever more powerful (once up to revs) engines that are actually far too easy to stall and completely gutless at low revs, coupled with too high first and reverse gears have exacerbated this problem no end, in some extreme cases cars being unable to climb the decks at all, how did these things get past typa approval, does TA mean anything?

You describe my common rail diesel perfectly with this. Its a got no torque at idle and I have to turn off the aircon if I come to a stop or I'd have to rev it hard to pull away. I much prefer my older IDI diesel which although having rather a high first gear can pull away on idle by just engaging the clutch.

Type Approval doesn't impose minimum standards - it imposes consistency.

All my own cars have been medium/large automatics for decades but courtesy cars are usually small manuals - I often find that 1st is too low for a flat start but 2nd is too high

All my own cars have been medium/large automatics for decades but courtesy cars are usually small manuals - I often find that 1st is too low for a flat start but 2nd is too high

Well it should, some of the lorries, or rather some of the automated manual boxes fitted that i've had the displeasure of being saddled with, i would have abandoned the test after about 30 seconds and suggested they chuck the box in the skip where it belongs had i been a test driver.

Whats the point in consistency when some are things are just unfit.

Yes my car choices, whilst not new by any means, are TC auto every time.

Well it should, some of the lorries, or rather some of the automated manual boxes fitted that i've had the displeasure of being saddled with, i would have abandoned the test after about 30 seconds and suggested they chuck the box in the skip where it belongs had i been a test driver.

Whats the point in consistency when some are things are just unfit.

Yes my car choices, whilst not new by any means, are TC auto every time.

Legislation and regulation is used to impose minimum standards - unfit products usually being shunned in the market place - but of course vehicle fleets are imposed on it's drivers.

Legislation and regulation is used to impose minimum standards - unfit products usually being shunned in the market place - but of course vehicle fleets are imposed on it's drivers.

Thats the amusing thing though, they arn't, people just make sure (and this is advised here regualrly) to not own one out of warranty.

Which means the maker isn't in the least bothered if the things cost some poor blighter an arm and leg a few years down the line, the people keeping this business model going are doing their bit.

Ironically whilst being appalling things to have to use in lorry world they are extremely reliable and have proved their worth by not allowing idiot non drivers of which there are legion to do their worse.

The downside being when attached to a vehicle struggling on 10 (optimistic) bhp per ton the last things you need are slooowwwww changes or having to come to a complete halt at a moving junction because the box can't cope and isn't ready or having the vehicle fail a steep sudden hill climb completely due to a combination of unfit box coupled to modern engine, as you rightly say we get no say in the matter.

Not to worry its only me wingeing, another 5 years and i won't care how much electronic unfit tat they stuff in the things.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/09/2016 at 23:01

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - SlidingPillar

Why do we need first gears capable of near enough 40 mph, its there to get the car moving not beat the drag racers at Santa Pod.

Pah, my vintage car will do 45 in first. And 80 in second. And that's it, only two gears, no reverse.

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - TedCrilly

Until VX have been given reasonable chance to comment and the exact cause of failure has been determined how can anyone with a fair mind even begin to form an opinion?

I tend to leave things like this to the "flaming torch" mobs

Edited by TedCrilly on 05/09/2016 at 11:10

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - piggy

Until VX have been given reasonable chance to comment and the exact cause of failure has been determined how can anyone with a fair mind even begin to form an opinion?

I tend to leave things like this to the "flaming torch" mobs

+1

Vauxhall Insignia CDTI - DMF on Insignia - Vauxhall wont reply!! - skidpan

Why do we need first gears capable of near enough 40 mph, its there to get the car moving not beat the drag racers at Santa Pod

We had a Mondeo TDCi 130, 2002 vintage. First geat in that was truly pathetic, worst feature of a great car. Pull away with any vigour and all you got was wheelspin. Pull away normally and watch a Citroen Saxo 1.1 leave you for dead. Think it maxed out at about 22 mph at the govenor, pointless. Once into second or above a great car.

My Caterham has a close ratio box fitted, @7000 rpm 1st runs to 45 mph, 2nd 67 mph etc. On the road with a torquey engine the ratios suit a light car perfectly. When I was racing @8400 rpm the Quaiffe box ran to 60 mph in first, 84 in second etc. On the road even in a light car it was hard work with a peaky engine.

There is no simple answer, the ratio's, the engines spread of power, car weight etc all need to be perfectly matched and that is something you rarely find in a road car. I know I mention it on occations but the ratios in my Seat Leon 1.4 TSi are great even with a full load in the car. Match the engine perfectly but it has to be said the fact the engine pulls like a train form 1500 rpm helps.

it has to be said the fact the engine pulls like a train form 1500 rpm helps.

Yes that is half the battle won, nothing worse than an engine with nothing up to a certain rev point, often around 2000rpm, then all hell breaks loose for a 1500rpm rev band if you're lucky

which brings us neatly to Mondeo (again), we had a Mondeo pool car with whatever would be the Diesel of its time, exactly as you say either you gave it some welly and it went off like a scalded cat scrabbling for grip with the exhaust smoking like a train then ran out of revs 2 seconds later...or you didn't give it a bootful of welly and it stalled straight out, horrible horrible thing to drive, would probably have been quite acceptable with a TC autobox for point and squirt technique.