What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Honda Original vs Aftermarket Parts - Distorted Vision
The handbrake cables on my 7th generation (2005) Civic have stretched and need replacing. The original Honda part is £120 each. This is far more than I would like to spend.

Euro Car Parts have Pagid ones for £44 each. The following are available for less at around £35 each:

Herth+Buss
NK
JapanParts
First Line

I was wondering which were the better aftermarket brands out of the above. Is it worth paying extra for Pagid? They seem to be exclusive to ECP.

Also, the AC condenser on my 7th generation (2005) was damaged when I had an accident late last year. The AC hasn't worked since. The original Honda part is £240. Again, this is much more than I'm prepared to spend.

I was wondering which aftermarket brand was the best out of:

Nissens
EIS
Delphi

Many thanks!
Honda Civic - Honda Original vs Aftermarket Parts - elekie&a/c doctor
All aftermarket parts are much the same.probably not worth the extra for paged.As for the a/c parts,nissen or Delphi are ok.

Honda Civic - Honda Original vs Aftermarket Parts - Peter.N.

I almost always use aftermarket parts on my cars, I wouldn't be able to afford to run them if I didn't.

Honda Civic - Honda Original vs Aftermarket Parts - Falkirk Bairn

The local air conditioning man & his dog outfit will probably

be cheaper than a garage - many of the parts whether

car or fridge are interchangeable.

Honda Civic - Honda Original vs Aftermarket Parts - dllr64

I would have to say that not all Aftermarket /pattern parts will be the same as the genuine manufacturer or OEM part.

If you purchase a part from the manufacturer that is a supplier for your car maker then there will be no difference. But a lot of pattern parts are being mass produced at low cost and the quality has suffered. And that's not even considering the burgeoning problem of counterfeit parts with th safety implications. The whole situation is becoming more complex with EU directives on type approval which means soon only the big companies will be able to offer parts.

Edited by dllr64 on 26/10/2016 at 17:10

Honda Civic - Honda Original vs Aftermarket Parts - Railroad.

The difference in quality between genuine OEM parts and non genuine can be anything from barely noticeable to hugely different. And it's not always true that motor factor non-gen parts are cheaper either. I used to work in a Vauxhall dealership and genuine parts were very often cheaper and nearly always better than non-gen.

Edited by Railroad. on 26/10/2016 at 19:09

Honda Civic - Honda Original vs Aftermarket Parts - dllr64

Very true. VW service parts are often cheaper at the dealer. The consumer has become an unwitting victim. In the quest to get a bargain the will fit an Aftermarket oil filter or cheaper brand non approved lubricants. Yes you'll save a few quid but the damage you end up doing to these modern high compression lean burn engines render these savings moot. Where the dealers do you over is on the high labour rates. Someone has to pay for that plush waiting area with the free Wi-Fi and refreshments.

Honda Civic - Honda Original vs Aftermarket Parts - Galaxy

Several years ago I needed an AC condenser for my Ford Mondeo Mark 2. A genuine Ford one cost nearly £400; I bought one made by "Hella" for £105. The Hella condenser fitted perfectly and still worked fine when I finally scrapped that car some years later.

I'd always associated "Hella" more with electrical fittings, e.g. headlamps. However, looking at their website, they manufacture a whole range of vehicle replacement parts. They are clearly a quality manufacturer.