What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
CRV - Honda - Nigel King

Hi there, new post/1st post. My Honda crv has just rolled off my drive and hit a tree. There is damage to the rear of the car. Not concerned about damage to the tree and no other parties are involved. My question is - can I make a claim on my insurance? Fully aware that I will have to pay excess and it will screw my no claims.

CRV - Honda - RobJP

Assuming you've got Fully comprehensive cover, yes, you will be able to claim on your insurance as normal.

CRV - Honda - Nigel King

Thanks Rob, as it was my fault for not fully engaging the handbrake I had concerns that they may question the claim as it was negligent behaviour. Thanks for the swift reply. Nigel

CRV - Honda - skidpan

Insurers will normally only refuse to pay out it you for example:

lie

are drunk or on drugs at the time of the accident

are driving like an ar5e and get convicted

There are probably many I have missed.

CRV - Honda - concrete

Hello Nigel, there must be some damage to consider claiming. If it is just dents and scrapes it may be cheaper to have them done yourself. If it is a door/tailgate then try a scrapyard. I don't know what you pay in premiums but do the sums first. Any claim is held over you for at least 5 years when re-newing or changing insurers. Give it some thought.

Good luck. Cheers Concrete

CRV - Honda - Falkirk Bairn

How old is the CRV?

The cost of parts for the latest models is horrendous - I know of a £1500 bill for replacing front bumper & electronics therein + paint -- for a mild coming together wih a post.

I would imagie the back end is equally expensive.

Good tip about fixing it up with parts from the scrappie - assuming the car is not in its first flush of youth.

CRV - Honda - Ian D
If it is just bumper/tailgate I would as Concrete suggests use a scrapyard, look on eBay, there are dozens of CRVs being broken (mainly up to 2012 ones, not so many or none of the very new ones). The trick is to find one of the same colour, get the parts and fit them yourself or get a local garage to do it, may save you in the long run over claiming
CRV - Honda - galileo

Thanks Rob, as it was my fault for not fully engaging the handbrake I had concerns that they may question the claim as it was negligent behaviour. Thanks for the swift reply. Nigel

I know it's a bit late for you, but on a gradient it is recommended to leave a car in gear as well as applying the handbrake. Especially as some handbrakes now work on discs which contract on cooling, thus reducing clamping force.

CRV - Honda - Falkirk Bairn

>>Especially as some handbrakes now work on discs which contract on cooling, thus >>reducing clamping force.

CRV handbrake is disk / drum combo.

My CRV handbrake "suddenly pulled up a few notches extra" on a hill start. I had all of the wheels taken off calipers cleaned out and the handbrake adjusted @ my local Indie.

Normal Honda Service routine does not include the wheels off brake clean - only a squirt of brake cleaner.

A son on the otherhand as an 2 yr old X5 in Texas - 35K & in for a service yesterday - it needed new rear pads & discs, wipers - all fitted FOC - only paid the servicing. Pads discs covered - I do not know if this is standard or "dealer deal" when he bought the car - he paid $60K for a factory ordered spec for what is a £60K car in the UK (in 2014).

Interestingly an Oil Change every 10k/ 6 months is BMW USA Standard!!!! No Longlife every 20K rubbish.

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 24/08/2016 at 08:39

CRV - Honda - RT

Interestingly an Oil Change every 10k/ 6 months is BMW USA Standard!!!! No Longlife every 20K rubbish.

Many Americans still have a 5,000 mile oil change mindset - mind you that is using low specification oil - European ACEA specifications are mich higher than US API specs.

It may apply to other brands, but in the UK Hyundai and VW now have 20,000 miles or 2 years servicing intervals to appeal to the company car owners but suggest interim oil changes at 10,000 miles or 1 year

CRV - Honda - concrete

Got there ahead of me RT. I have an 11 year old Skoda Superb with well over 200K miles. I used the extended service interval routine and the car asked for a service about every 18-20K miles. Which, when I was working was about every 7-9 months. The oil was a high spec VAG long life synthetic oil. The miles were 90% motorway and to this day I have used only 4 litres of this high spec oil to top up. Stopped the extended regime when I retired (about 20K miles ago!!)and now change oil and filter every year at MOT time. Still insist on using good quality oil though. Nothing wrong with extended service intervals if the vehicle use suits it. Horses for courses I believe is the expression.

Meanwhile, back at the thread. I wonder if the OP has done his sums yet?

Cheers Concrete