Ford C-MAX - Recovering costs incurred by faulty fuel filter - biggus_richus

I recently suffered a car breakdown which was subsequently identified as being caused by a faulty fuel filter fitted during an annual service a couple of weeks before.

As I had no breakdown cover (I know, I know), I had to sign up with the AA on the spot in order to get towed home - not an insignificant cost. The garage has replaced the part but said they had to return the faulty part in order to get a replacement.

Is there any precedent for recovering costs incurred by faulty parts, or should I just suck this one up? I have asked the garage for the supplier/manufacturer of the filter, but they just said "they'll see what they can do".

Thanks,

Rich.

Ford C-MAX - Recovering costs incurred by faulty fuel filter - FP

An interesting legal question, which I admit I don't have the answer to, is whether the garage technically sold you the filter; if so, I would have thought they, and not the manufacturer, was responsible for the whole problem.

Your query is really about consequential damages and I know this can be tricky. For example, you now have AA membership, which means you have certain benefits that you didn't have before. You cannot possibly claim for the whole cost of membership; the only thing that you might be able to claim for is the cost of the tow home; can that be quantified?

I wonder whether you might have to go to a lot of trouble and expense to achieve very little recompense. Maybe someone else can offer a view here.

Edited by FP on 18/08/2016 at 15:56

Ford C-MAX - Recovering costs incurred by faulty fuel filter - RobJP

I'd suggest that if you have absolute proof - as in an engineer's report which clearly states that the filter was faulty - then you might have a case against the supplier of the filter to yourself (you don't specify whether the garage that fitted the filter also supplied it, or not)

However, getting such a report, along with the court costs, would probably cost more than you'd be claiming, and even if you won a court case, it would be up to the court as to whether they awarded costs in your favour or not (could well be awarded 50:50). So you could get a report, pay for it, use the report to win your case, and yet still be out of pocket once you've been paid the sum awarded.

Ford C-MAX - Recovering costs incurred by faulty fuel filter - biggus_richus

FP, RobJP, thanks for your replies.

I'd be looking to recover about £120, which is roughly what I recall being told I'd be liable for if I cancelled during the cooling off period. The garage used their own supplier to obtain the filter - don't know who this is, although I have asked.

I've always been happy with the garage, and certainly don't want to make an enemy of them, so I'm guessing this will have to be put down to bad luck. Another way to look at it is that I had breakdown cover up until I changed jobs three years ago, so don't think I'm significantly out of pocket versus having paid for 4 years cover.