Ford Fiesta - Buying used car - MOT/Service history check - taps153

Hello,

I'm buying a car but a bit worried about the missing MOT and service records. It would be really helpful if I get some advice on the questions I'm raising.

June 2010 - Date of 1st reg

Aug 2011 - 9000 miles - Service1 - Franchise

July 2012 - Sold to another lady owner

Oct 2012 - 13000 m - Service2 - Franchise

Aug 2013 - 18000 m - MOT1

May 2014 - 23000 m - Service3 - Corner (shop) garage

Feb 2015 - 29000 m - MOT2

July 2015 - 33000 m - Service4 - Corner (shop) garage

Feb 2016 - 36000 m - MOT3

I'm concerned about a) about 20 months between service2 and 3. They advertise as full-service history. When asked they say it is based on 10k miles not how many months. But I thought it is always either 10k miles or 12 months which is earlier? Should this be classed as FSH?

and b) About 18 months gap between MOT1 and MOT2. They say that the lady owners normally forget about it. The guy said his wife forgot until the tax was due for about 8 months.

I suspect there might be more to this. Do you think I should be concerned about it?

Thank you very much for your Help!

Tdaps

Ford Fiesta - Buying used car - MOT/Service history check - Chris M

Well that's the difference to what a dealer calls FSH and one of us on here might consider FSH. A pile of bills or print out from a lease company will show you more than a stamp in a book.

The missed MoT I wouldn't worry about and the services have at least been carried out. Yes, ideally every 12mths or 12,500m (I think that's what it would be for a 2010 Fiesta), but the car hasn't covered a huge mileage in between or too low a mileage either.

If the rest of the car looks OK and the price is right, I'd use the dealer's bull**** to knock the price down if you can.

Ford Fiesta - Buying used car - MOT/Service history check - madf

Check the MOTs yourself including advisories etc

www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Also check the mileages have not suddenly been "reset"

Ford Fiesta - Buying used car - MOT/Service history check - bathtub tom

I'd say that's typical of the average motorist who conveniently ignore the "whichever comes first" part of a 10,000 mile or annual service.

Use it to beat them down.

Ok will not loose sleep over this. Thanks people for your suggestions. Already reduced the price by £120, let's see if more can be reduced based on these facts. Will post about it.

Ford Fiesta - Buying used car - MOT/Service history check - Avant

If you're not completely satisfied, walk away. If you want a Fiesta, there are lots to choose from, and it shouldn't be too difficult to find one with a full dealer service history.

With this one, it doesn't sound as if the second owner was very 'careful'. It sounds like a private sale: for peace of mind and some protection through consumer law, it might be better to buy one from a dealer.

Edited by Avant on 09/08/2016 at 23:13

@Avant- Agree the second owner wasn't very careful. But it's from a dealer and he has agreed to do another MOT before the sale and will fix any advisory found in the MOT (even though the MOT doesn't expire until next February) and an interim service.

Actually, this generosity makes me think if there is something wrong with this car.

Ford Fiesta - Buying used car - MOT/Service history check - Galaxy

@Avant- Agree the second owner wasn't very careful. But it's from a dealer and he has agreed to do another MOT before the sale and will fix any advisory found in the MOT (even though the MOT doesn't expire until next February) and an interim service.

Actually, this generosity makes me think if there is something wrong with this car.

No, not really. Most dealers these days will get a new "Ticket" for any car they sell, regardless of how long the existing one has to run. It's done partly to protect them from possible complaints from the purchaser. The chances are there won't be any advisories to be fixed, so that will cost him nothing except for the cost of the MOT itself. The interim service will just be an oil and filter change, believe me!

Ford Fiesta - Buying used car - MOT/Service history check - John F

I'm concerned about a) about 20 months between service2 and 3.

and b) About 18 months gap between MOT1 and MOT2. They say that the lady owners normally forget about it. The guy said his wife forgot until the tax was due for about 8 months.

I suspect there might be more to this. Do you think I should be concerned about it?

No. Sounds like typical married couple low mileage ownership. Should be nicely run in for another 100,000m. Despite the motor industry's valiant attempt to persuade us otherwise, oil doesn't lose its powers of lubrication after 365 days. It's nearly 3yrs since the highly expensive long-life oil in my Audi was changed, and well over 4yrs since I changed my 36yr old TR7's oil. Both will probably last longer than me.

A bog-standard low-revving unstressed naturally aspirated low bhp per litre engine does not need same attention to its oil supply as that of a rally car.

Ford Fiesta - Buying used car - MOT/Service history check - madf

A bog-standard low-revving unstressed naturally aspirated low bhp per litre engine does not need same attention to its oil supply as that of a rally car.

Agreed.

If it has been used for short journeys and never warmed up, it needs better care.

And guess what, most city and town cars are used for shopping and not rallying :-)