What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2016 honda jazz 1.3 s - auto headlights - inanimate

is it possible to turn off the auto headlight feature on this vehicle the reason i askis i nearly had an accident when the headlights came on on a road with cars

parked and a driver coming the opposite way assumed rightly that i was flashing him to come through when i was not but just at that moment the headlights came on aand we had a close call. the default position of the lighting switch is auto and this is spring loaded so always returns to auto. any help greatly appreciated

2016 honda jazz 1.3 s - auto headlights - Cyd
parked and a driver coming the opposite way assumed rightly that i was flashing him to come through when i was not

assumed rightly - err! assumed wrongly my friend. May I suggest you read your copy of the Highway Code more carefully

The Highway Code states: ‘Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.’

And: how did you manage to have a 'close call' when you were parked stationary?

2016 honda jazz 1.3 s - auto headlights - Bolt

is it possible to turn off the auto headlight feature on this vehicle the reason i askis i nearly had an accident when the headlights came on on a road with cars

parked and a driver coming the opposite way assumed rightly that i was flashing him to come through when i was not but just at that moment the headlights came on aand we had a close call. the default position of the lighting switch is auto and this is spring loaded so always returns to auto. any help greatly appreciated

How do you know the headlights flashed as they usually stay on once activated. I have the Civic that works the same, but the dipped beam doesn't flash, it stays on until daylight hits the sensor for so many seconds, then shuts off the lights which cant be taken as a flash Correct me if wrong but I have not seen one yet that the dipped beam flashes unless you did it manually

Edited by bolt on 26/07/2016 at 19:37

2016 honda jazz 1.3 s - auto headlights - James crowe

I'm not sure if there is some confusions over the issue. It isn't to do with the dusk sensor. My wife has a new Jazz and the auto lights are terrible.

The lights automatically go from dipped to full beam depending if street lights and other cars are detected. On paper this sounds great. However, in practice it is useless. The full beam comes on when it shouldn't and then won't dip quick enough.

Several times on country lanes the full beam has come on and as cars approach the beam only dips as the other car passes. This usually means the other driver flashes his lights furiously of loudly honks their horn.

This feature is part of the "auto" setting for the lights. So if you want to use the dusk sensors and have your lights come on automatically you also get the auto full beam/dipping feature. This can only be disabled by a dealer according to the manual.

So at the moment we just use the headlights on or off. We don't use the auto setting. I really don't have the time to leave the car with a dealer on a week day. If someone figures out how to disable this useless and dangerous feature please let me know.

Many thanks

2016 honda jazz 1.3 s - auto headlights - Bolt

I'm not sure if there is some confusions over the issue. It isn't to do with the dusk sensor. My wife has a new Jazz and the auto lights are terrible.

The lights automatically go from dipped to full beam depending if street lights and other cars are detected. On paper this sounds great. However, in practice it is useless. The full beam comes on when it shouldn't and then won't dip quick enough.

Several times on country lanes the full beam has come on and as cars approach the beam only dips as the other car passes. This usually means the other driver flashes his lights furiously of loudly honks their horn.

This feature is part of the "auto" setting for the lights. So if you want to use the dusk sensors and have your lights come on automatically you also get the auto full beam/dipping feature. This can only be disabled by a dealer according to the manual.

So at the moment we just use the headlights on or off. We don't use the auto setting. I really don't have the time to leave the car with a dealer on a week day. If someone figures out how to disable this useless and dangerous feature please let me know.

Many thanks

I have it on the Civic, but it works a treat and never known it to be slow in switching back to dipped, I suggest taking it back to dealer as I think it will be a sensor problem

I leave mine on auto except in foggy conditions as it seems to stay off in fog, apart from that they work fine

My daughter has the jazz and hers works ok.