What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Shuttle (1999) - European Breakdown cover for older cars - Benet

Now the Shuttle is more than 16 years old we are being refused breakdown cover for our holiday in Germany/Poland. Although I have every confidence the car won't let us down, we need to have some peace of mind. Can anyone recommend a European breakdown service for older/classic cars??

Honda Shuttle (1999) - European Breakdown cover for older cars - Metropolis.

I don't have experience of them but the options here seem very reasonable, only £8 to cover one trip. www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/

For where we wanted to go (into Eastern Europe) it was looking more like £300 unfortunately

Honda Shuttle (1999) - European Breakdown cover for older cars - Big John

I have a joint Nationwide Flex Plus account that includes European breakdown - no age limit

Its £10 month. This also includes travel insurance (with a serious pre existing condition) , family mobile phone cover and free European cash point withdrawals

My son found the breakdown was v good when he left the lights on with our 2001 octavia on xmas eve, he also tested out the mobile phone insurance whe he broke a screen.

I subscribed just for the breakdown stuff (effectively £60 per car) as I didn't think they would cover us re travel - yes came the reply - bargain !

Thanks a lot. This seems a good deal. Let's hope I don't need it though!

Honda Shuttle (1999) - European Breakdown cover for older cars - Tester

I thoroughly endorse Big John's recommendation: Flex Plus is a really good account with useful insurances thrown in (there are others in addition to breakdown, travel and mobile phone) and straightforward terms - Nationwide does not muck you about, in my 15+ years' experience of banking with them.

The account even pays you a bit of interest; a little over £3 a month in my case, which obviously is not going to make me rich but is better than a poke in the eye and means I'm effectively getting all the insurances for £7 a month.

(No, I'm not employed by Nationwide!)

Honda Shuttle (1999) - European Breakdown cover for older cars - RobJP

Another +1 for the Nationwide Flex Plus here.

As an aside, Nationwide are brilliant to deal with on phone, etc. regarding any bank account problems. Proper levels of customer service, UK-based call handling, and not waiting on the line for ages. After running through the options you're usually talking to someone within 60 seconds, and quite often within 10 seconds.

Honda Shuttle (1999) - European Breakdown cover for older cars - Steveieb
They even cover caravans and large vans using Brittania Rescue who rate highly on WHICH. And paid out no quibble on my daughters I phone when it got soaked on a camping trip.

If you keep 2500 in your current account it costs £4 a month. Absolute bargain!

That worked. Been to Berlin and the Baltic and Central Poland and back, 2000 miles or more, loaded down with beer and sausage on the way home - No Problem, no need for the breakdown service. It's the fifth time we've done this run. What a great car - the world's first people carrier classic??

Honda Shuttle (1999) - European Breakdown cover for older cars - TedCrilly

Euro breakdown cover/recovery is not always what one would expect. Chech the terms carefully, in certain cases and with certain companies should the cost to repair/recover exceed the value of the car it will be written off with you receiving the usual market value.