What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Parking brake - hillman

Here is another incidence of a fatal accident, they think caused by not putting on the parking brake. Does anybody know whether the vehicle had a handbrake or an electric parking brake ?

www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3650009/Star-...l

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3649910/Was-Star-...l

Parking brake - focussed

It is always the driver's responsibility to make the vehicle safe when leaving the vehicle with the engine running - if you want to risk leaving it with the engine running and an auto box.

He could have stopped the engine and stuck it in park - he would be alive now if he had done that - sorry and all that to not be particularly sympathetic but that's how it is.

Parking brake - RT

The car in Yelchin's death, Jeep Grand Cherokee, is subject to a major recall by FCA due to potential roll-away risk - 1.1 million vehicles worldwide are affected.

FCA and the California authorities are investigating.

Parking brake - focussed

Rollaway risk in park and with the handbrake/parking brake set?

Parking brake - RT

Rollaway risk in park and with the handbrake/parking brake set?

Ever heard of cars with faults?

When everything works properly there's no issue.

Parking brake - Avant

From the second link (many thanks, Hillman):

"The Jeep's electronic gear stick sprang back to the same position after being shifted, meaning drivers could not tell by glancing at it whether the vehicle was in park or neutral.

"They had to rely on a warning light on the stick and a chime when the door opened. The flaw was blamed for hundreds of accidents across the US when drivers left their Jeeps without realising they were not in park, according to government regulators."

Of all the idiotic pieces of design..... Another stupid electronic answer to a problem nobody had. Nothing wrong with PRND as everyone else does.

I'm no fan of electronic parking brakes - just getting used to one myself - but in this tragic case it made no difference what sort of parking brake the car had. There must be many who (I would say wrongly) rely on leaving their car in P and don't bother with the handbrake.

Edited by Avant on 21/06/2016 at 00:10

Parking brake - RT

About 15 years ago, long before this type of automatic transmission control and electromechanical parking brakes, there was a case of a man who left his Jeep Cherokee in Drive when he got out and it promptly ran over his 3 year old son, finishing up in a wall. Happily, the 3 year old was so small the Jeep passed over him entirely and he was uninjured, but the parents still attempted to hold Jeep liable. It is different now and in quite a few cars (Jaguars included) it is difficult to be certain that the transmission is locked in Park and the electromrechanical brake is on.

The combination of electronic parking brake and electronic shift lever will always give the potential for tragedy if one fails and the other isn't engaged - or both fail - they may be statistically rare but any tragedies will be very real to the people involved.

Parking brake - Falkirk Bairn

Fatal London handbrake accident - CRV.

Engine running, Car in neutral, handbrake applied incorrectly/not at all

tinyurl.com/j8ns8pk

Parking brake - Happy Blue!

Americans rarely use the 'handbrake'. Usually just put it in P and turn the engine off. So if there was a failure of the pin, the car would have rolled.

Parking brake - Metropolis.

What is is with Chrysler and transmissions, they've always had trouble although this is a new one! I drove a Range Rover Sport a few times with a rotary gear selector. Didnt like using it and on one occasion i forgot to take it out of D when i turned the engine off. The car paused, put itself in P and only then turned itself off. I was quite impressed! Handbrake was automatic as well I think.

Parking brake - RT

What is is with Chrysler and transmissions, they've always had trouble although this is a new one! I drove a Range Rover Sport a few times with a rotary gear selector. Didnt like using it and on one occasion i forgot to take it out of D when i turned the engine off. The car paused, put itself in P and only then turned itself off. I was quite impressed! Handbrake was automatic as well I think.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee uses the ZF 8HP, like many other prestigious brands - including the Range Rover Sport!

Didnt know that! Thought the GC was using the 9 speed ZF box like their other models. Not my favourite gearboxes, i'd rather a 4 speed over that! It always seems to be changing gears.

Parking brake - RT

Didnt know that! Thought the GC was using the 9 speed ZF box like their other models. Not my favourite gearboxes, i'd rather a 4 speed over that! It always seems to be changing gears.

The ZF 8HP is a north-south transmission - the 9-speed, used by other Jeep/Fiat models is east-west.

VW Group fits the ZF 8HP to the Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne but the Aisin 8-speed to the VW Touareg, all siblinmgs built on the same platform - but in all cases with conventional gearlevers.

Edited by RT on 21/06/2016 at 19:40

Parking brake - Wasabi
In all the time (7 years) that I've chosen an auto, I've never NEEDED neutral. Would make sense to me to remove the possibility of such an accidental neutral selection with just P-R-D. And while I think of it I'm sure that my car (BMW) automatically selects P if I open the door while in D or R. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm sure that risk of these 'accidents' could be engineered out
Parking brake - hillman

"I'm no fan of electronic parking brakes - just getting used to one myself - but in this tragic case it made no difference what sort of parking brake the car had. There must be many who (I would say wrongly) rely on leaving their car in P and don't bother with the handbrake."

The word, 'electronic' worries me. The word implies that there is software involved and I don't like the thought of that. The effort of pulling up the handbrake gives some assurance when stepping out of the car.

The experience by HJ reminds me of the Stella awards, named in honour of the American lady who sucessfully sued McDonalds because she blamed them for her cup falling off the dashboard onto her knee when the car started off.

I find it very interesting that the VW group opt for ZF in one and an Aisin in the other on the same platform. I prefer Asins, seem more reliable on the whole. Hope HJ doesnt mind, i saw this video in my subscription feed on Youtube just now,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD1-aQSO5Hg

I still struggle to see how it could be anything other than owner error.

Parking brake - RT

I find it very interesting that the VW group opt for ZF in one and an Aisin in the other on the same platform. I prefer Asins, seem more reliable on the whole.

The ZF is more suited to "sporty" applications while the Aisin is more suited to "comfort/luxury" applications - but then so much on modern transmissions depends on the electronics and every brand is different there.

Parking brake - Avant

That's comforting. All credit to Land Rover (P.Charlton's post above) for thinking that one out for themselves without there having to be an accident first.